PDA

View Full Version : Best martial arts movies

Luke Noonan
08-11-2014, 07:25 AM
Anyone got recommendations?
Some of my favourites are (some of these have more than one English title) Warriors Two, Woman Avenger, 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Come Drink With Me, Eagles Claw - they tend to have above average skills and choreography, low budget and bad/funny dubbing or translations.

Anyone else?

Bishop
08-11-2014, 08:33 AM
The Raid and The Raid 2. Both are short on story an long on amazing fight sequences.

Slang Strong
08-11-2014, 02:52 PM
I've heard a lot about The Raid but never seen it, are they making an American version? I thought I'd heard about certain actors being in talks for the new versions.

Bishop
08-11-2014, 03:12 PM
They are making an American version, but I can't imagine it being as unique and crazy as the originals. Dredd was pretty closely based in The Raid, and it was decent, but it didn't have the martial arts.

Morganza
08-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Enter the Dragon, Fist of Legend, Black Dynamite are some of my favorites.

paul brian deberry
08-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Anything Donny Yen, Jackie Chan (expect his new stuff), and Stephen Chow are in my top ten.

Stuff like IP MAN, Iron Monkey, Kung Fu Hustle, Legend of Drunken Master, King of Beggars, Fist of Legend, Kill Zone - S.P.L., Matrix, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Brotherhood of the Wolf and of course Kill Bill are all must watch fight films.

paul brian deberry
08-11-2014, 04:53 PM
crude I forgot about Chocolate!! great fight movie.

Enter the Dragon, Fist of Legend, Black Dynamite are some of my favorites.

It's sad that none of Bruce Lee movies would even enter into my top 20 maybe not even in my top 50.

I'm a big fan Fist of Fury, that would make my list somewhere, but Enter the Dragon wouldn't.

kamikaze
08-11-2014, 06:45 PM
The Raid, Enter the Dragon, Black Mask

Moonrider
08-11-2014, 11:33 PM
I still think Merantau is the better film than The Raid.
Donnie Yen is awesome. The Tsui Hark directed series "Once Upon a Time in China" also never fails to impress, but I recommend only the ones with Jet Lee in it.

Luke Noonan
08-12-2014, 06:55 AM
Cool suggestions

Bishop
08-12-2014, 05:27 PM
I still think Merantau is the better film than The Raid.

Story wise, I'd agree. Fight scenes are better in the Raid movies, though.

Gav Heryng
08-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Kung-Pow: Enter The Fist

Screwtape Jenkins
08-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Newish joints:

Ip Man
The Restless
Arahan
The Detective Dee movies
Shinobi
Dragon Tiger Gate (Hey, I liked it)
Tai Chi Zero/Hero (Hero is the sequel)

Old school:

8 Diagram Pole Fighter
Five Element Ninjas aka Chinese Super Ninjas
Heroes of the East
Legendary Weapons of China
My Young Auntie
Odd Couple (Sammo Hung was a beast back then)

cheeseisgood1918
08-19-2014, 02:31 AM
Versus. Crazy, cheesy, over the top. It's like an anime come to life. If you like it, the same people made another movie called Battlefield Baseball. It's pretty out there too.

I would also highly recommend Six String Samurai. Post apocalyptic story of Buddy Holly trying to get to Vegas to replace Elvis as King of America. He has to fight Richie Valens, Russian cannibals and Death on his journey. It also has a Lone Wolf and Cub element to the story. This is the most coherent description of this movie that I can give. It's exactly as amazing as it sounds.

Luke Noonan
08-19-2014, 11:22 AM
I would also highly recommend Six String Samurai. Post apocalyptic story of Buddy Holly trying to get to Vegas to replace Elvis as King of America. He has to fight Richie Valens, Russian cannibals and Death on his journey. It also has a Lone Wolf and Cub element to the story. This is the most coherent description of this movie that I can give. It's exactly as amazing as it sounds.

Yup, I've seen it, and you're maybe the second person I've encountered who even heard of it. :banana:

Thanks for all the recs.

Bishop
08-19-2014, 03:38 PM
Versus. Crazy, cheesy, over the top. It's like an anime come to life. If you like it, the same people made another movie called Battlefield Baseball. It's pretty out there too.

Yup, I've seen it, and you're maybe the second person I've encountered who even heard of it. :banana:

Thanks for all the recs.

I saw it a loooong time ago. It really is bizarre.