PDA

View Full Version : Silver Surfer

grumpyfatfury
08-09-2014, 02:03 PM
A pencil commission by my buddy Don that I recently inked.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/221/5/7/walker_silver_surfer_inks_by_jk5_inks-d7ueuvz.jpg

Steven Forbes
08-09-2014, 02:38 PM
This looks very good.

A couple of crits:

Connect all your lines. Norrin shouldn't have that hole near his traps. Also, his ear is too pronounced.

Second, it looks like Galan has two different eyes. Two different sides of his face, really. The right side of his face is fine. The left side looks bigger, with a strange looking eye and extra space around his cheekbone that the right side doesn't have. It looks like you tried to fix it with some highlighting, but it didn't turn out right.

If you're just following the pencils, don't forget that part of your job is also to fix mistakes in the pencils. The inker is the unsung hero of the penciler.

Be the hero.

grumpyfatfury
08-10-2014, 12:04 AM
This looks very good.

A couple of crits:

Connect all your lines. Norrin shouldn't have that hole near his traps. Also, his ear is too pronounced.

Second, it looks like Galan has two different eyes. Two different sides of his face, really. The right side of his face is fine. The left side looks bigger, with a strange looking eye and extra space around his cheekbone that the right side doesn't have. It looks like you tried to fix it with some highlighting, but it didn't turn out right.

If you're just following the pencils, don't forget that part of your job is also to fix mistakes in the pencils. The inker is the unsung hero of the penciler.

Be the hero.

Thanks for the critiques; much appreciated in taking the time. I can definitely see the issue with Galactus' face now that it's been pointed out. Something I should have attempt to fix during my process.

And I can agree with the Surfer's shoulder as well; although it's funny, some people post here I don't break up my holding lines enough, and others too much...I'll get it right one day! ;)

Cheers,
J

VANDAL
08-11-2014, 02:11 PM
It's WHERE you break your holding lines that matters too. Note Galactus' helmet. Those holding lines are broken but look good because of the light source directly behind him. On SS's upper shoulder (where it's connected to his neck behind his ear) you could have broken the holding line at the apex of the curve and it would have worked because of the light source behind him. It's not a hard thing to fix though.

crognus
08-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Are you going to repost an ink with the edits people mentioned?

grumpyfatfury
08-19-2014, 07:59 PM
It's WHERE you break your holding lines that matters too. Note Galactus' helmet. Those holding lines are broken but look good because of the light source directly behind him. On SS's upper shoulder (where it's connected to his neck behind his ear) you could have broken the holding line at the apex of the curve and it would have worked because of the light source behind him. It's not a hard thing to fix though.

Again, good advice. Thanks :)

grumpyfatfury
08-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Are you going to repost an ink with the edits people mentioned?

Thanks for the question, but unfortunately, no. This was done traditionally as line art for a print that has already moved on production.

All criticisms are greatly appreciated and taken into account when starting something new.