PDA

View Full Version : Thor Will Now Be a Woman

Slang Strong
07-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Marvel's Thor is Now a Woman (http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/15/5901621/marvels-thor-is-now-a-woman)

Have you guys heard about this? I'm curious how long this will actually last.

Duane Korslund
07-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Just an arc...hopefully not long :)

jeffo46
07-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Shit like this , is why I don't waste my money on DC or Marvel anymore.

Lightdragon
07-17-2014, 05:45 PM
well at least this clears up one rumor that went around that some nutjob sorcereress that was obsessed with Thor decided to become a female Thor.

Lovecraft13
07-18-2014, 08:04 AM
I think it's a great idea.

But I'm surprised they didn't turn Thor in a Latino-Arab homosexual.

paul brian deberry
07-18-2014, 11:27 AM
haha

i'm bored with it... i hate the fact that Marvel and DC feel the need to make changes because their line up lacks equality.

and wasn't there already a Thor-girl?

Comrade Hero
07-20-2014, 02:00 AM
It would be interesting if Hulk got the makeover that Thor, Iron Man and Captain America are having. Bruce Banner transforming into a gamma enraged She-Hulk...

Luke Noonan
07-20-2014, 03:08 AM
This was in 1978:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_large/0/4/16838-2918-18756-1-what-if-.jpg

I'm a fanboy too, but seriously, anyone losing sleep over this needs a shot of perspective, IMO. Fast.

Buckyrig
07-20-2014, 11:55 AM
haha

i'm bored with it... i hate the fact that Marvel and DC feel the need to make changes because their line up lacks equality.

and wasn't there already a Thor-girl?

Well, aren't they really in a Catch-22 with that though?

Either you create new characters (which they should in either case) that then need to find audiences, or they adapt older characters to better represent the world's diversity.

The problem with the former is that you're going to end up with a very diverse line of B-listers. The problem with the latter is that...well, it comes off as a stunt and some people get weird with the anger about it.

Personally, I'm still annoyed that Wally and Kyle aren't the Flash and GL respectively.

Rene A.
07-21-2014, 04:54 PM
This too shall pass.

QAN
07-23-2014, 04:25 PM
Indeed. Much like this (http://marvel.wikia.com/Thor_Odinson_%28Earth-9997%29).

crognus
07-26-2014, 01:39 PM
Ugh. Speaking of changing gender, what does everyone think about changing race? Like Miles Morales as Spiderman?

Alyssa
07-27-2014, 09:26 PM
Eric Stephenson (Image Comics) touched on this in his keynote address:

A week ago, I woke up to learn that the comics industry was storming into San Diego with more announcements about licensed comics based on old movie and TV franchises, gender-bending superheroes, crossover events that previously would have been relegated to the realm of fan fiction, and the brutal murder of a beloved children’s character.

I texted a friend with some of this news, and his response was, “Eric, it’s not even 10 am. Are you drunk?”

The punch line to that joke is I wish I had been.

It’s hard to believe that as far as comics have come since the turn of the century, with the tremendous impact comics have had on the cultural landscape, and all the hard-fought success we’ve achieved as a medium that is finally beginning to be taken seriously, this is still what passes for “new” to the overwhelming majority of the comic book industry.

Grave robbing the past in an attempt to pump new life into decades-old characters.

Treating gender equality and cultural issues as though they’re little more than gimmicks to increase sales.

That’s the comic book industry of the past, ladies and gentleman, and this year, it’s clinging on for dear life.

While there's a lot of good at Marvel and DC, I think it's mainly due to the skill of the creators involved, not the Big Two's antiquated business models. I wrote my take (http://alyssacrow.com/the-future-is-creator-owned-comics/) on this hoohaa just the other day.

http://alyssacrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/thor-is-now-a-woman.jpg

:har:

Newt
07-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Ugh. Speaking of changing gender, what does everyone think about changing race? Like Miles Morales as Spiderman?

It's an odd thing with superheroes. If Miles Morales is Spiderman, that's not really a case of Spiderman changing race, it's a matter of a different character taking up the Spiderman identity; if it's OK for anyone other than Peter Parker to be Spiderman, what does it matter if that character is the same race as Peter Parker or not?

That's different from changing Peter's race, though really, if they're rebooting a character they may as well rethink all his characteristics. Since comic book characters don't age naturally, they end up having to do either a soft, continuous retcon of every character (the same Peter Parker who was a teen in the 60s can't be a young adult now, and not just chronologically - generation matters) or a periodic major reboot. What's a little change in ethnicity compared to a major change in generation?

I guess when it comes down to it, I have no specific objection to changing a character's race, sex, nationality, or anything else, as long as they retain some notion of the character's core and tell good stories with it. Unfortunately, making these changes seems to always come off as a desperate stunt rather than an honest story-telling decision.

Buckyrig
07-28-2014, 12:08 PM
And that's not even the "canon" Spider-Man anyway.

Newt
07-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Spiderman should totally have a cannon. Then he could just shoot himself to the crime scene, and wouldn't have to waste all that time swinging from building to building (or from the sky, as he often seems to) and leaving webs all over the place. Seriously, Marvel's New York must look like the back corner of my shed.

Wait, what are we talking about?

crognus
07-28-2014, 08:35 PM
It's an odd thing with superheroes. If Miles Morales is Spiderman, that's not really a case of Spiderman changing race, it's a matter of a different character taking up the Spiderman identity; if it's OK for anyone other than Peter Parker to be Spiderman, what does it matter if that character is the same race as Peter Parker or not?

Of course it's okay. He's pretty cool actually. It's just I think the motivations for creating an African-American Spiderman are suspect...

Alyssa
07-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Spiderman should totally have a cannon. Then he could just shoot himself to the crime scene, and wouldn't have to waste all that time swinging from building to building (or from the sky, as he often seems to) and leaving webs all over the place. Seriously, Marvel's New York must look like the back corner of my shed.

*snort giggle*

crognus
07-28-2014, 11:04 PM

Tell me about it. Last time I was in Gotham I couldn't go anywhere without stepping on a Batarang...