PDA

View Full Version : Looking for GN and Comic recommendations

Robert_S
07-08-2014, 01:36 AM
I've read a lot of Moore and one Miller (300).

I don't like Miller's narrative style, so I'd like to avoid Miller.

I read the entire series of "Y: The Last Man" and all of Fables, up to Vol 19 (20 is still due out sometime this summer I believe) and I loved these. Fables is awesome reading. A good mix of victory and tragedy.

I'm looking for others, generally not of the superhero genre. I'm also wanting to avoid the usual zombies and vampires and most supernatural unless it's exceptional.

Steven Forbes
07-08-2014, 01:47 AM
Sandman.

Preacher.

(And I moved it out of Chit Chat because that's where we go to be light.)

Scribbly
07-08-2014, 03:22 AM
Title: A God Somewhere
Writer: John Arcudi
Artist: Peter Snejbjerg
Colorist: Bjarne Hansen
Letterer: Wes Abbott
Publisher: Wildstorm
Content: A God Somewhere is rated for mature readerss.

DaveyDouble
07-08-2014, 04:36 AM
All by Adam Warren:
Empowered (8 series)
Dirty Pair (especially 3-5)
Livewires
Magical Drama Queen Roxy
Bubblegum Crisis: Grand Mal

Kenichi Sonoda:
Gunsmith Cats

Clevinger/Wegener:
Atomic Robo

dmh_3000
07-08-2014, 07:14 AM
Since you liked Fables, you should check out The Unwritten, which had a crossover with the book and has similar themes. There are also the Fables spin off books like Jack Of Fables, Cinderella and Fairest.

If you like Fantasy and sci-fi, I recommend Saga by Brian K Vaughan (Who wrote Y the Last Man) and Fiona Staples. Pretty Deadly by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios has been fun. Lazarus by Greg Rucka and Michael Lark is a good dystopian sci-fi tale. Velvet by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting is a spy thriller starring a Moneypenny type as the Bond character.

And, because why not, my comic Gemini Storm (http://www.indyplanet.com/front/?product=90290) is an urban sci-fi series.

Arden Belfry
07-08-2014, 08:56 AM
MAXX, was always one of my favourite. IDW is republishing it right now.

Alyssa
07-08-2014, 09:52 AM
If you're on Twitter, I usually share my latest comic picks there.

I really enjoyed Joe Mulvey's SCAM (check the comixtribe site). Great art, great writin. Only bad thing about it is there wasn't nearly enough (gahdammit Joe! Get crackin!) :har:

I'm also enjoyin the heck outta Chew (I'm up to the 3rd omnivore omnibus). I really didn't think I was going to like it, because I tend to go for more serious works, and I didn't think I'd like the toony style. But dammit, I'm a big fan now. The writing (and the art) are just so damn clever, in my opinion. If I achieve anywhere near that level of skill with my own work, I'll be a happy girl.

I also enjoyed Midnight Nation, though it got a wee bit preachy sometimes. Like J wanted to make certain folk got the theme. WE GOT IT. Worth addin to your collection though!

Robert_S
07-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Since you liked Fables, you should check out The Unwritten, which had a crossover with the book and has similar themes. There are also the Fables spin off books like Jack Of Fables, Cinderella and Fairest.

Jack of Fables is perhaps my least liked character of Fables. I wondered why all the others disliked him so much, then Jack started to get more page time and slowly, I learned what a scumbag he is, over and way above Prince Charming or Geppetto.

I've started on Fairest and liking it so far. It looks like there is only three volumes out so far.

If you like Fantasy and sci-fi, I recommend Saga by Brian K Vaughan (Who wrote Y the Last Man) and Fiona Staples. Pretty Deadly by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios has been fun. Lazarus by Greg Rucka and Michael Lark is a good dystopian sci-fi tale.

Have they come out with a new vol of Lazerus. I read the first, found it interesting, but I've only seen vol 1.

I'll look into all the recommendations made by all.

Max Romaine
07-09-2014, 12:58 AM
I've been reading "The Killer" from Archaia. Very different. Liking it so far.

paul brian deberry
07-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Perhaps we can keep the discussing going within the comic book area of the forum.

Moving. (I've moved it to comics book area because that is where we go to discuss comics.)

paul brian deberry
07-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Orc Stain by James Stokoe is a must read

All volumes of Chew

Anything by Doug TeNaple

Spider-man loves Mary Jane

Scribbly
07-10-2014, 11:54 PM
Elk's Run by Joshua Hale Fialkov, art by Noel Tuazon.
Tumor by Joshua Hale Fialkov, art by Noel Tuazon.

Scribbly
07-11-2014, 06:12 PM
The other side, by Jason Aaron, art by Cameron Stewart

Coward (Criminal, Vol. 1) by Ed Brubaker, art by Sean Phillips

Luke Noonan
08-06-2014, 10:13 AM
I've read a lot of Moore and one Miller (300).

I don't like Miller's narrative style, so I'd like to avoid Miller.

I read the entire series of "Y: The Last Man" and all of Fables, up to Vol 19 (20 is still due out sometime this summer I believe) and I loved these. Fables is awesome reading. A good mix of victory and tragedy.

I'm looking for others, generally not of the superhero genre. I'm also wanting to avoid the usual zombies and vampires and most supernatural unless it's exceptional.

A couple of random suggestions are Kling Klang Klatch, a detective noir satire on toy-racism by Ian MacDonald and David Lyttleton, and The City by James Herbert and Ian Miller. The City is a simple revenge story in post-apocalypse London, but Ian Miller's art is incredible, if only he did mnore comics.

Newt
08-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Love and Rockets - the greatest comic of them all.