PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine inks

grumpyfatfury
06-25-2014, 09:07 AM
Here's a recent ink sample of Wolverine.

Awesome pencils by Ardian Syaf.

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/174/4/d/syaf_wolverine___lores_by_jk5_inks-d7nm893.jpg

Cheers,
J

grumpyfatfury
06-25-2014, 09:08 AM
A side by side of pencils & inks. ;)

http://th06.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/174/9/1/syaf_wolverine___sbs_by_jk5_inks-d7nm9ue.jpg

Charles
06-25-2014, 10:44 AM
I especially like the inking of the large rock/hill/peak on the right. In fairness, though, the one on the left is dominated by the horizontal/near horizontal lines that the penciler chose to illustrate it with.

The three tree trunks/logs and the rocks leading up the mountain are inked such that it gives them heft, which is a good thing, when it comes to landscapes.

Rob Norton
06-25-2014, 07:25 PM
there are things I like and some things I don't.

first..i think you are a pretty damn good inker. the pencils make for some serious thought on how to translate the image into inks, and I think I personally would have made some different choices.

I like how you made the stars in the night sky. I don't mind the idea of the added moon, but as a penciler, I probably woulda been pissed with such a drastic change cause it changes everything. whether its for better or worse is up to whoever looks, but if I would have handed off these pencils, I don't think I would have cared for the alteration. but that's just ME.

I think I would have preferred to leave the trees as a Silhouette and left the sky open for color to finish it. that, combined with the wolves..you totally changed the wolves as well. I think what the penciller originally drew, with them in heavy shadow and small highlights, looks much more interesting than the complete change you made.

I like the organic backgrounds and how you interpreted them for the most part.

wolverine himself looks...okay. I just think there was so much changed and lost in your inks. there were shadows and contours indicated in the pencils that are nowhere to be found in the inking part. around his right shoulder and collar bone area.. places on his right arm... shadows that didn't come thru and something was lost. and that weird shadow on his left pectoral looks really weird in the inks...
I think everything on his left leg in terms of the inking/ rendering/translation of the pencils looks bad.
I can see that for as tight a pencil image this is, it leave a lot of room for definition from an inker and it can be a hard process to get right. its not bad by any means, I just think to much of what the penciller did right and well was lost in the inks.

you are still very good at what you do and I enjoy your posts/work..

rob

johnjohn
06-25-2014, 09:21 PM
Tight clean work as always, love seeing your posts, really dig the background.
Kudo's for keeping tight to the pencils, that said personally not crazy about all the lines on Wolverine.

grumpyfatfury
06-25-2014, 10:22 PM
I especially like the inking of the large rock/hill/peak on the right. In fairness, though, the one on the left is dominated by the horizontal/near horizontal lines that the penciler chose to illustrate it with.

The three tree trunks/logs and the rocks leading up the mountain are inked such that it gives them heft, which is a good thing, when it comes to landscapes.

Thanks Charles; honestly, I'm not happy at all with the background elements. I tried something; it didn't work. Definitely something to look at later to see what I can do with it.

Cheers, J

grumpyfatfury
06-25-2014, 10:30 PM
there are things I like and some things I don't.

first..i think you are a pretty damn good inker. the pencils make for some serious thought on how to translate the image into inks, and I think I personally would have made some different choices.

I like how you made the stars in the night sky. I don't mind the idea of the added moon, but as a penciler, I probably woulda been pissed with such a drastic change cause it changes everything. whether its for better or worse is up to whoever looks, but if I would have handed off these pencils, I don't think I would have cared for the alteration. but that's just ME.

I think I would have preferred to leave the trees as a Silhouette and left the sky open for color to finish it. that, combined with the wolves..you totally changed the wolves as well. I think what the penciller originally drew, with them in heavy shadow and small highlights, looks much more interesting than the complete change you made.

I like the organic backgrounds and how you interpreted them for the most part.

wolverine himself looks...okay. I just think there was so much changed and lost in your inks. there were shadows and contours indicated in the pencils that are nowhere to be found in the inking part. around his right shoulder and collar bone area.. places on his right arm... shadows that didn't come thru and something was lost. and that weird shadow on his left pectoral looks really weird in the inks...
I think everything on his left leg in terms of the inking/ rendering/translation of the pencils looks bad.
I can see that for as tight a pencil image this is, it leave a lot of room for definition from an inker and it can be a hard process to get right. its not bad by any means, I just think to much of what the penciller did right and well was lost in the inks.

you are still very good at what you do and I enjoy your posts/work..

rob

Thanks Rob.

The alteration: my initial dilemma when looking at this piece, was establishing an accurate light source. I saw the way Ardian has shaded in part of the sky which was what gave me the idea in the first place for a night sky theme; that being the case, could stars really light the elements like that was my second thought. I figured a large enough moon in the sky could act as a light source that would be big enough to cover the wolves (right sided light source) and Wolverine (appears to be left side light source). This isn't a defense by ANY means, just giving some insight in to how I was thinking when approaching the piece.

I can agree with Wolvie; if I was approaching it in the manner I did (night theme) then Wolvie should be more in shadow than he is; the line rendering isn't working on him. I should have approached with a more definitive plan of solid blacks for shadows than I did. Again, leaves LOTS of room for me to try new things - keep what works, redo what doesn't.

Thanks for the comments :)

grumpyfatfury
06-25-2014, 10:31 PM
Tight clean work as always, love seeing your posts, really dig the background.
Kudo's for keeping tight to the pencils, that said personally not crazy about all the lines on Wolverine.

Thanks johnjohn.

Read my response to Rob's suggestions; I think you're both right with the rendering on Wolvie. Should have used solid blacks rather than rendering lines.

Thanks for the comments :)