PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] What Are Your Publishing Goals?

Steven Forbes
06-23-2014, 09:32 PM
What are your publishing goals, and what are you doing to make them happen?

I'm not talking about "take over the world" kinda stuff (aka: writing for Marvel/DC). I'm talking about your immediate publishing plans. What are you working on that you want to see published, and how are you going about getting the work in front of readers?

It can be anything: self-publishing, webcomics, digital comics, or going the traditional route of pitching to publishers.

paul brian deberry
06-23-2014, 10:45 PM
I already reached my goal (which if I knew it would be so easy I would have reached higher.)

My goals where.... to go to my local shop, for someone to find a book I wrote in the dollar bin AND for them ask me to sign it.

Plus this year I will have three books I lettered published (One of them by IDW.)

Robert_S
06-24-2014, 12:02 AM
I don't really know at this point. DC and Marvel are completely out of the question, so I'll pitch to smaller outfits. But most, if not all, want lettered art, so I have to hire staff and/or cut them in on profits, if they want so. However, I intend to keep the rights to the story, so my chances get slimmer.

I may have to go self-publish.

Steven Forbes
06-24-2014, 12:34 AM
Ooh. The hard, expensive way.

And there are lessons to be learned in that, as well.

Luke Noonan
06-24-2014, 12:48 AM
What are your publishing goals, and what are you doing to make them happen?

I'm not talking about "take over the world" kinda stuff (aka: writing for Marvel/DC). I'm talking about your immediate publishing plans. What are you working on that you want to see published, and how are you going about getting the work in front of readers?

It can be anything: self-publishing, webcomics, digital comics, or going the traditional route of pitching to publishers.

Going the ol' fashioned way. I'm currently working on one limited series to be pitched to Dark Horse, and one piece with est. characters for a small press publisher who request that for consideration for working with their characters.
Those are what I'm actually writing atm, I have other stuff still in the conceptual stages.

Robert_S
06-24-2014, 01:02 AM
Ooh. The hard, expensive way.

And there are lessons to be learned in that, as well.

Yeah, so I hear, but I'm pretty adamant, I'm not selling the story or IP. I'm keeping it to have something to keep myself busy with at least one story line I can keep adding onto.

Steven Forbes
06-24-2014, 01:04 AM
Going the ol' fashioned way. I'm currently working on one limited series to be pitched to Dark Horse, and one piece with est. characters for a small press publisher who request that for consideration for working with their characters.
Those are what I'm actually writing atm, I have other stuff still in the conceptual stages.

Oh, so you're going to also pitch to Avatar.

Got it.

Steven Forbes
06-24-2014, 01:05 AM
Yeah, so I hear, but I'm pretty adamant, I'm not selling the story or IP. I'm keeping it to have something to keep myself busy with at least one story line I can keep adding onto.

Yeah, self-publishing may be the best road, if you can't get in to Image (which I imagine whose door you're not knocking on).

Robert_S
06-24-2014, 01:11 AM
Yeah, self-publishing may be the best road, if you can't get in to Image (which I imagine whose door you're not knocking on).

I'm not knocking on anybody's door yet. I need to get artwork, coloring and lettering done first, so I have something other than just a script to show and before that, I want at least 1/2 the novel done so the artists have a good supply of story to draw.

One of the pet peeves I read of publishers is they hate getting just stories. They want drawn, colored and lettered pages.

Luke Noonan
06-24-2014, 01:17 AM

Got it.

Wasn't planning to, but they're an option.

Steven Forbes
06-24-2014, 01:34 AM
I'm not knocking on anybody's door yet. I need to get artwork, coloring and lettering done first, so I have something other than just a script to show and before that, I want at least 1/2 the novel done so the artists have a good supply of story to draw.

That's something of a double-edged sword.

I'm going to let you in on a secret: if you don't have enough money to hire an editor, you don't have the money to publish.

Some may disagree with me, and that's fine. However, I've seen a lot of scripts come through here, TPG, and a lot of projects come to my company, ComixTribe.

I've seen where scripts go off the rails. I've seen where scripts are just bad. And I've seen where projects that are completed need work that a competent editor would have caught.

Nowhere in there did I see you say that you needed to have your project edited. And if you're going to self-publish, a competent editor will help you with the book, hopefully getting you repeat business.

One of the pet peeves I read of publishers is they hate getting just stories. They want drawn, colored and lettered pages.

Depends on the publisher. Always read their submission guidelines, and always follow those guidelines to the letter.

Luke Noonan
06-24-2014, 01:48 AM
Wasn't planning to, but they're an option.
Answering my own post, but I just checked their submissions page and they're not, not without art.

Robert_S
06-24-2014, 02:09 AM
That's something of a double-edged sword.

I'm going to let you in on a secret: if you don't have enough money to hire an editor, you don't have the money to publish.

Depends on what they charge. If they're going to charge $2500, yeah, that may be too steep. I don't know what the going rate is for an editor. I haven't gotten even that far, yet.

Schuyler
06-24-2014, 02:16 AM
I want to publish a comic book. I will finish one issue and send it publishers. I would like to publish with Image, but there are other publishers out there.

I just looked back at some e-mails. It was almost exactly one year ago that I did not even have a workable script. I couldn't even imagine working with an artist. Now, I have an artist and an editor! I have this other guy that does awesome pinups working on a cover! The artist and I have five pages and after the editor looked at it the artist went story board crazy. We have a storyboard of almost the entire issue! As I stated earlier I just checked my email and I sent my first paid edit to Steven on 6-22 of last year.

One year ago, I could not even imagine myself today. What impossibility awaits me next year?

Lovecraft13
06-24-2014, 04:36 AM
I already reached my goals: had a screenplay optioned, very nearly sold a pilot to the BBC with another in consideration, and had several full-length and anthology comic book stories published. I'm currently finishing up my MSc in Creative Writing at the University of Edinburgh. Once I'm done here, I'm probably going to reboot an old series.

Luke Noonan
06-25-2014, 05:29 PM

Got it.

Just to clarify, are you suggesting that I should do that?

Steven Forbes
06-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Just to clarify, are you suggesting that I should do that?

Totally up to you, Luke. I know that Avatar wants you to use their characters if you're going to pitch to them. That's all.

Luke Noonan
06-25-2014, 05:55 PM
Totally up to you, Luke. I know that Avatar wants you to use their characters if you're going to pitch to them. That's all.

Ah sorry, I get you. I'm pitching to someone else with a Harvey Two-Face script (ie, they request something with est characters of ANYONE else's).
It was a long time since I'd thought about Avatar, and from their submission page it seems now they only want completed pages, not just scripts.

Steven Forbes
06-25-2014, 06:07 PM
To me, that's crazy.

But that's me.

Luke Noonan
06-25-2014, 06:20 PM
To me, that's crazy.

But that's me.

Why is it crazy?

Steven Forbes
06-25-2014, 06:59 PM
Because they want you to pay to get a story (or part of a story) done using their characters.

There's no guarantee that the story will be picked up. And if it doesn't, that's money you're out of, for a story you can't use anywhere else. Doesn't make much sense to me.

At least with a script, the only thing you're out of is time. With wanting completed pages, you could be out of time and money.

Luke Noonan
06-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Because they want you to pay to get a story (or part of a story) done using their characters.

There's no guarantee that the story will be picked up. And if it doesn't, that's money you're out of, for a story you can't use anywhere else. Doesn't make much sense to me.

At least with a script, the only thing you're out of is time. With wanting completed pages, you could be out of time and money.

Sorry I wasn't clear, the publisher Im' talking about don't want completed drawn, inked and coloured pages about Batman or whomever else, that isn't what I meant. I meant they just wanted a script about such a character, so they can judge how well a writer can write for an existing character, so that the writer can hopefully write with theirs.
Avatar meanwhile do want completed pages, but obviously not about any existing character, they want something creator owned they can actually publish.

Steven Forbes
06-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Oh, that's much better, then.

That I can get behind. :)

B-McKinley
06-25-2014, 10:24 PM
My goal is to begin a webcomic that is published on a regular schedule—about once a week. I plan on collecting these into printed editions. Eventually after 10-12 years these would add up to a larger 3 volume set of 144-160 pages each. (Yes, self-published.)

At the moment, I'm in a research phase. By the end of the year my goal is to have the script and designs for the first year ready so I can go into a regular production schedule.

Steven Forbes
06-25-2014, 10:42 PM
My goal is to begin a webcomic that is published on a regular schedule—about once a week. I plan on collecting these into printed editions. Eventually after 10-12 years these would add up to a larger 3 volume set of 144-160 pages each. (Yes, self-published.)

At the moment, I'm in a research phase. By the end of the year my goal is to have the script and designs for the first year ready so I can go into a regular production schedule.

Wow! Talk about an ultra-long term goal!

It's actually unreasonably long.

I hope you have a helluva premise. Not only to keep your own interest, but to keep reader interest enough to keep coming back.

Morganza
06-25-2014, 10:49 PM
I want to publish my own comic, it's just going to be a long road to get there, and winning the lottery.

paul brian deberry
06-25-2014, 10:57 PM
you should put together a patreon page, Morganza. It's a hard sell, but if your consistent with your work. you could easily find a fan base to pledge a 30 to 50 bucks a month for a comic book page. tell the story over a few months, once you reach a certain page total, launch a Kickstarter to fund the rest of the book.

Morganza
06-25-2014, 11:01 PM
I appreciate that Paul, I looked into patreon and it's not for me. Plus I wouldn't have time to draw paid work.

Alyssa
06-26-2014, 05:59 AM
I'm still learning about the comics industry and what opportunities are available to comic creators, so this is subject to change. But right now, I'm just focusing on getting my script written and edited to publishing quality. Generally, the idea is to save up enough money to self-publish as much as I can, and use Kickstarter to fill any holes. I've had a decent whack of success with self-publishing in the (normal) book industry, so self-publishing isn't hugely daunting to me.

Plus, I'm used to being broke. :har:

B-McKinley
06-26-2014, 07:52 AM
I hope you have a helluva premise. Not only to keep your own interest, but to keep reader interest enough to keep coming back.

It's an anthology. I had so many starts and stops posted online someone assumed I was already doing an anthology. This way instead of constantly questioning whether a new idea is the one I should be doing, I just put it in the queue.

Boiled down my goal is - produce regularly - don't stop - get past "issue 1".

Screwtape Jenkins
06-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Theodicy 2 will be out in about two-ish weeks. I'd love to get 3 and 4 done this year, but I'd need a new penciler and a few thousand dollars I don't have to make that happen.

Working with some local artists on my 400 pitch (that Steven Forbes can't make me stop believing in, no matter how mean he is :nyah: ) Hope to submit that around before Christmas.

I work in education so I'm laid off until August. I'm determined to finish a screenplay before I go back to work. Other than a Justice League script I wrote for fun, I haven't finished a screenplay since I started writing comic scripts.

Steven Forbes
06-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Working with some local artists on my 400 pitch (that Steven Forbes can't make me stop believing in, no matter how mean he is :nyah: )

I'm not mean! (Well, not really mean.)

As long as you believe in your pitch, that's all that matters.

Now git ta writin'! These things don't write themselves! (I should know. I have to plot a five issue mini today and then write the first issue by the weekend. My own deadline.)

Co.Inkadink
06-27-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm going to self publish my comic as a webcomic and a print comic with Kablaam. I want to get it into the comic stores and I probably will just do that locally by visiting them and getting them to carry it. Hopefully the webcomic will generate some interest. Except for the writing I'm doing everything myself and we have no editor so I hope it's good. I have connections with 2 famous people that may want to back it but I have to have a few issues before I propose it to them.

scrappy
07-04-2014, 10:19 AM
this has been a great thread. very insightful and nice to see what is going on with other people. like a publishing support group.

for my own publishing goals, i just hope some publisher shows interest in the anthology i'm putting together (with steven's help) in whatever form that my be. whether it be as a one-shot or in conjunction with the promise of future volumes. a pretty vague goal but that's where im at...at least until its finished.

Andrzej
07-08-2014, 04:11 PM
I agree - great thread. I'm quite daunted by the thought of submitting to publishers, but I have been working with (paying) an artist on a webcomic for the best part of a year now. The artists fees are unlikely ever to get recouped, but I can strongly recommend it as a creative learning process. The dream is to fund a small print run with a kickstarter - anyone had much luck with that?