PDA

View Full Version : B&N Week 182: Ghosting Panels

Steven Forbes
06-18-2014, 12:38 AM
http://i1.wp.com/www.comixtribe.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/BoltsNutsFeatured-ghosting.jpg?resize=640%2C290
Welcome to another Tuesday.

I'm interrupting the flow of asking questions this week with a column that I thought I had posted, but obviously haven't. This week was going to be all about checking in to see what you've done over the past six months, to see if you've stuck to the path you laid out for yourself in January, and to check your progress. However, something much more important has to come to the fore.

I want to talk about Moving Panels and what I term “ghosting.” So, let’s get into the Bolts & Nuts of it, shall we?

Let’s backtrack a bit, and talk some about Panels, Time, and movement between them. We all know that comic panels are nothing more than slivers of captured Time. You can add more Time to a panel by making it bigger and having separate actions within it, but the easiest way to add more Time to a panel is through Dialogue. The more words you add, the more Time is added to the panel.

You can decrease Time in a panel, either by making it smaller, or by adding more panels around it.

While panels hold a certain amount of Time, you generally cannot have two different actions in a single panel. Remember, we’re talking about static images, and with those static images, you have to give the illusion of movement.

Click here to read more. (http://www.comixtribe.com/2014/06/17/bn-week-182-ghosting-panels/)

Schuyler
06-18-2014, 12:55 AM
I am proud of myself for understanding all of this before you ever explained it.

tim1961
06-18-2014, 01:06 AM
I've read about tricks of the trade too, of using lines in a panel normally drawn to depict objects to help the movement along, like say the reflection lines going straight along a car's body help give the eye the sense it's moving down the road without having to resort to wiggle lines at its tail.

Also, kinda corny like Archie comics, I love the double take face, a face drawn with two angles, usually with the character going 'whaaat??'

Once in a while I've used 'Shiva hands'. A character will suddenly sprout two or four extra arms when doing some quick activity.

crognus
06-26-2014, 09:02 PM
Ghosting is an interesting technique. I feel like it's used to portray speed, but at the same time slow motion. When ever I see it, it makes me imagine a slow motion scene in a movie.

For example, if I showed a panel of a man getting shot, and in the next panel we show his hand knocking over a mug of coffee which ghosts down to a spilled mug on the floor.