PDA

View Full Version : Soulfire & Spider-man Sequential Page Inks

grumpyfatfury
06-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Some sample pages I did up recently. All are for sample purposes only.

Soulfire #3, page 16. Pencils by: V.K. Marion

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/167/6/0/marion_soulfire_0316___sbs_by_jk5_inks-d7mog6i.jpg

A larger version can be seen here: http://jk5-inks.deviantart.com/art/V...inks-461340856

A random Spider-man sequential page. Pencils by: Netho Diaz

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2014/167/1/9/diaz_spider_man_sequential___sbs_by_jk5_inks-d7mohsb.jpg

A larger version can be seen here: http://jk5-inks.deviantart.com/art/N...ores-461334666

Cheers,
J

Charles
06-17-2014, 01:48 AM
You ink sparingly.

Rob Norton
06-17-2014, 03:18 AM
You ink sparingly.

that doesnt make sense.

an inkers job is to interpret what the penciler wanted. not adjust it to be whatever the inker wants it to be. looking at the pencils, and then the inking work, it appears to me that he did what he could/should. he followed the pencillers work, gave it definition. he didnt try to overwork it and kill it by adding things that arent supposed to be there.

what the hell more do you want from him?

rob

Charles
06-17-2014, 03:36 AM
that doesnt make sense.

an inkers job is to interpret what the penciler wanted. not adjust it to be whatever the inker wants it to be. looking at the pencils, and then the inking work, it appears to me that he did what he could/should. he followed the pencillers work, gave it definition. he didnt try to overwork it and kill it by adding things that arent supposed to be there.

rob

I don't want anything from him. I merely shared my opinion on what he posted. The inking, as done, added little visual value to the underlying work, in my opinion. No one else has to share that opinion. I could have said that he inked stingily, where these pieces were concerned, and I considered saying it that way, but I ultimately decided to characterize the inking as sparingly.

Looking at it, again, just now, I don't feel any differently.

jeffo46
06-17-2014, 08:51 AM
Charles,
You are a idiot. I've been inking for close to 20 years and the inkers job is to remain faithful to the penciller's work while at the same time, enchancing it as well by adding depth and texture if needed. It's obvious that you don't have a damn clue as to what you are talking about . You have even said in the past that you yourself are not a artist , so why don't you do us all a favor on here and just shut the hell up ? I'm sick and tired of your know it all attitude and frankly I find you to be annoying.

johnjohn
06-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Nice tight clean work mate.
Really dig the Spidey page, tons of line variance and it really makes the page stand out.

Great job on the keeping the first page so clean, but some more variation would really pump it up.
Not a whole lot, because I see a lot of light colours in that one (in my mind anyway) to give it a big open feel, but some bolder lines throughout could really make that stand off the page.
Wondering - when you get a tightly penciled page do you try to keep closely to the pencils?
I noticed that with the Spidey page you had a lot of room to move and you really knocked it out of the park.
I have to add that you are miles above my skill level, so please don't think for one second that any crits are from a position of better ability.
Thy are more my observations as comic art fan.

grumpyfatfury
06-17-2014, 11:48 AM
that doesnt make sense.

rob

Thanks Rob.

grumpyfatfury
06-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Nice tight clean work mate.
Really dig the Spidey page, tons of line variance and it really makes the page stand out.

Great job on the keeping the first page so clean, but some more variation would really pump it up.
Not a whole lot, because I see a lot of light colours in that one (in my mind anyway) to give it a big open feel, but some bolder lines throughout could really make that stand off the page.
Wondering - when you get a tightly penciled page do you try to keep closely to the pencils?
I noticed that with the Spidey page you had a lot of room to move and you really knocked it out of the park.
I have to add that you are miles above my skill level, so please don't think for one second that any crits are from a position of better ability.
Thy are more my observations as comic art fan.

Thank you sir.

I can totally understand that with the VKM page; there is never really any big contrasts in VKM's pages, like you said, I think they are made for a colourist as opposed to an inker first. Bolder lines is definitley my weak point I think. Always a little afraid to add TOO much.

I stick pretty close to the penciler on most pages. Any past published work, it's been requested to stay tight and not to do too much of 'my own thing.' I'm getting into the habit nowadays, to ask the penciler what he/she wants from me; to stick tight or to throw my own spin, etc.

Thanks for the comments. :)

johnjohn
06-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Maybe if you kept a couple of photocopies handy of whatever you're working on to use as test pieces so you can play with bolder lines in areas, that way you don't have to worry about buggering up your finished pieces?
I think those few added punches would kick your stuff up through the roof.

And please forgive bad grammar and spelling, responding on my phone using sausage thumbs.

grumpyfatfury
06-17-2014, 05:02 PM
Maybe if you kept a couple of photocopies handy of whatever you're working on to use as test pieces so you can play with bolder lines in areas, that way you don't have to worry about buggering up your finished pieces?
I think those few added punches would kick your stuff up through the roof.

And please forgive bad grammar and spelling, responding on my phone using sausage thumbs.

Excellent advice and honestly something I've been meaning to do.

Thanks again.

And no worries, I've got the sausage fingers too ;)

Charles
06-18-2014, 02:07 AM
Charles,
You are a idiot. I've been inking for close to 20 years and the inkers job is to remain faithful to the penciller's work while at the same time, enchancing it as well by adding depth and texture if needed. It's obvious that you don't have a damn clue as to what you are talking about . You have even said in the past that you yourself are not a artist , so why don't you do us all a favor on here and just shut the hell up ? I'm sick and tired of your know it all attitude and frankly I find you to be annoying.

I don't claim to know it all, Jeff. I never have. And, I'm not an artist. I have stated that on more than one occasion.

But, artists hold no monopoly upon having an opinion about art, or anything else for that matter.

If you don't want to read what I write, you don't have to. Reading requires an affirmative act, after all.

You're entitled to your opinion, but so is anyone else, myself included.

jeffo46
06-18-2014, 07:15 AM
Charles, when you disrespected that inker, you also disrespected me as well along with everybody else in this industry who has done the fine art of inking . And yes , I can read in answer to your callous comment . It is something which I enjoy doing on a daily basis. Inking is a art unto it's own of which you apparently have no knowledge of at all. Please do some research into it before you decide to comment on a artist's work again seeing that you yourself are not one of us at all ! Thank you.

Charles
06-18-2014, 08:00 AM
Charles, when you disrespected that inker, you also disrespected me as well along with everybody else in this industry who has done the fine art of inking . And yes , I can read in answer to your callous comment . It is something which I enjoy doing on a daily basis. Inking is a art unto it's own of which you apparently have no knowledge of at all. Please do some research into it before you decide to comment on a artist's work again seeing that you yourself are not one of us at all ! Thank you.

And you are the arbiter of what constitutes disrespect? Why does myself or anyone else have to share your opinion on any given piece of art, be it an inked piece or otherwise, Jeff?

Are you the expert of experts on the subject of inking? Are you the definitive voice on art or inking? Not that I am aware.

I look at each piece of work, individually. That I criticize a given is hardly to be equated with disrespecting other inkers, much less everybody else in the industry.

Inkers do not exist in a void from public opinion. They enjoy no such unwarranted luxury. Opinions on art, to include inking but not limited thereto, fall under the ambit of expression as much as art, itself, does.

You are free to have your opinion, of course, just as I am free to not share it.

Joe Simmons
06-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Some sample pages I did up recently. All are for sample purposes only.

Soulfire #3, page 16. Pencils by: V.K. Marion

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/167/6/0/marion_soulfire_0316___sbs_by_jk5_inks-d7mog6i.jpg

A larger version can be seen here: http://jk5-inks.deviantart.com/art/V...inks-461340856

A random Spider-man sequential page. Pencils by: Netho Diaz

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2014/167/1/9/diaz_spider_man_sequential___sbs_by_jk5_inks-d7mohsb.jpg

A larger version can be seen here: http://jk5-inks.deviantart.com/art/N...ores-461334666

Cheers,
J

Nailed it.
Good inks here, man.

grumpyfatfury
06-18-2014, 10:08 PM
Nailed it.
Good inks here, man.

Thanks Joe :)

Lightdragon
06-19-2014, 08:29 AM
that doesnt make sense.

rob

yep. as if the inker did that you would freak out an editor and to a lesser extent the penciler and writer. and that practically guarantees you no more work.

there are times however when a penciler messes up in the writers interpretation or makes some anatomical errors. like usually they mess up the hands. so the inker will fix this. BUT ONLY WHEN AN EDITOR TELLS THEM. otherwise they leave it alone.

VANDAL
06-19-2014, 04:25 PM
I think you did pretty well with the Top Cow piece. You should break your holding lines (outlines) sometimes to really give it that Top Cow look though. It's just kinda the way they do things around there. I also think you could have gone just a little bit more bold on some of the lines (another Top Cow thing). For instance, most Top Cow inkers tend to put really bold lines around a character's joints like the knees, elbows, and necks. It's just a suggestion because Top Cow art is highly stylized and not really based in reality. It's just the way they like their stuff to look.

grumpyfatfury
06-19-2014, 04:36 PM
I think you did pretty well with the Top Cow piece. You should break your holding lines (outlines) sometimes to really give it that Top Cow look though. It's just kinda the way they do things around there. I also think you could have gone just a little bit more bold on some of the lines (another Top Cow thing). For instance, most Top Cow inkers tend to put really bold lines around a character's joints like the knees, elbows, and necks. It's just a suggestion because Top Cow art is highly stylized and not really based in reality. It's just the way they like their stuff to look.

I appreciate the suggestions but, I didn't do any Top Cow pieces.

Rob Norton
06-21-2014, 08:48 PM
I appreciate the suggestions but, I didn't do any Top Cow pieces.

well good god, the ASPEN COMICS pieces then. its basically grown from Topcow with Turner starting it and setting it on its course. you know what he meant... :p

rob

grumpyfatfury
06-22-2014, 10:54 AM
well good god, the ASPEN COMICS pieces then. its basically grown from Topcow with Turner starting it and setting it on its course. you know what he meant... :p

rob

Haha...I figured as much! :nyah:

Funny thing though, Aspen Comics doesn't employ a lot of inkers; and of the inkers they do employ, there aren't too many "traditional" ones. They seem to be moving toward the age of digital.

L Jamal
06-22-2014, 11:55 AM
The spidey piece has quite a few tangent lines which I would have liked to see eliminated such as the toe on Spidey's right foot.

Also Spidey and the bird could use a thicker line weight to push them towards the viewer.

I'm not seeing where you added very much to the pages. It seems to be a adequate inking of the page, but nothing noteworthy. The only place where you did something to enhance with pencils was on the building where Mary Jane is hanging out the window.

Good start, but I'd like to see you make some bolder inking choices.

grumpyfatfury
06-23-2014, 01:26 PM
The spidey piece has quite a few tangent lines which I would have liked to see eliminated such as the toe on Spidey's right foot.

Also Spidey and the bird could use a thicker line weight to push them towards the viewer.

I'm not seeing where you added very much to the pages. It seems to be a adequate inking of the page, but nothing noteworthy. The only place where you did something to enhance with pencils was on the building where Mary Jane is hanging out the window.

Good start, but I'd like to see you make some bolder inking choices.

Thanks man; I appreciate you taking the time.

Yeah, in hindsight, I can now see some of those tangent lines you're talking about, and definitely where Spidey should have a heavier outline.

I think the general consensus has been heavier outlines to further separate the fore/middle/back grounds; I need to push that a little more, as well as "adding my own" proverbial spice to the mix.

All excellent points, and all hitting home. Thanks :)