PDA

View Full Version : Kickstarter Cross Promotion Thread

James L Sarandis
06-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Hey folks,

If your like me you're busting your butt trying to spread the word through press releases, pod casts, and reviews. As I was learning about all these through an e-mail from a really great guy I also had the chance to learn about cross promotion, and how it multiplies not divides backers. So I figured I'd make a thread and an offer or two.

1. If you share my Kickstarter Page in your updates, I'll share your Kickstarter Page in an update, AND on the Kickstarter Page itself.

2. If you share my Kickstarter Page on your Kickstarter Page, I'll share your Kickstarter Page in an update, on the Kickstarter Page itself, and I'll feature a a cameo of a character from your Kickstarter Campaign in Chapter Two.

3. Maybe we could do some joint rewards or something. Pitch me an idea I'm all ears.

Have a good one!

Charles
06-17-2014, 03:29 AM
Pitch me an idea I'm all ears.

Idea # 1
Look long at hard at the following link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067557761/fist-of-justice-vol-1-trade-paperback-and-foj-6-co

Then, compare it to your project's Kickstart page.

What are some of the things that stand out to you?

For me, some of the things that stand out are:

(1) Color is used to great visual effect. Aside from the poorly colored still image at the beginning of your video at the top of the page and that small photograph of yourself, your father, and one other individual, your Kickstarter page is devoid of color.

(2) Your artwork on display is in the form of sequentials, in black and white format, with duplication of scenes displayed. The Fist of Justice Kickstarter page utilized individual panels and a splash page to maximize the visual punch element of the page. In a nutshell, Ed cherry-picked the art to tilt the visual scales in his favor.

(3) Ed utilized networking to ensure that he met his Kickstarter goal. Your Digital Webbing profile states that you joined this site on December 20th, 2010, but you've only posted a grand total of 88 postings here, to date. By maintaining such a relatively low posting profile, you have impeded your ability to network effectively with the forum users that frequent here.

(4) As you scroll down the Fist of Justice Kickstarter page, you will see that Ed incorporated artful advertisements. Thus, his pledge levels enjoy their own visual punch. Yours do not.

(5) The Fist of Justice Kickstarter page utilizes artwork to break up the mass of text that comprises Ed's narrative, whose role it is to persuade visitors to his Kickstarter page to back this thing. In contrast, your Kickstarter page greets the page visitor with what is, for a Kickstarter page, a sizable mass of text.

(6) With regard to the text, itself, Ed utilized a larger font size for paragraph headings, compared to what you used. He also utilized the body of the text in a more impactful and persuasive way. Even within the ads, he utilized text with impacting, bold and italicized text dot the visual landscape of the page.

And the idea, itself? Learn from the successes of others, and revise your Kickstarter page to better engage the human eye that visits it. This is so that you can not only wow them better, but also, because you want to increase the amount of time that they spend on your page - so that the merit of your project has more time to sink in!

Idea # 2

You offer people certain options, namely, having their likeness in the comic as a Japanese demon ($150 pledge), becoming the Commissioner of Sparta City (which is a recurring role in future issues for a $250 pledge), become the Gatekeeper (a little girl role which is a very important character in the series).

Special swag/prizes for special pledges. That's all fine and dandy, but most people who pledge likely will gravitate towards smaller amounts. What do you offer along the same lines for smaller pledges? You have all of the real estate and characters in the world that your comic is set in at your disposal. But, you skimped and intentionally gave potential pledgers a barebones menu to order from.

What if I want my name on the side of a truck, like Lex Luthor has with his LexCorp fleet? What if someone else wants to be the guy at the newsstand? I publish a magazine, what if I want to have my magazine on that newsstand? What if someone wants their name in an in-panel newspaper headline? What if they just want to be in a scene with their pet dog? Stan Lee does cameos. What if someone just wants a cameo appearance in a not-critical scene? What if they want their own building (think Trump Towers) or their own business (think mom & pop convenience store). What if I just want to name a simple prop, such as a candy bar? A train can have many boxcars on it - each an opportunity. Ships have names. Even tombstones in comic panels can be real estate for pledge purposes.

And the idea? Why limit yourself intentionally? Why not broaden the likelihood that your pledgers for this issue might have incentive to return to pledge in future Kickstarters? Learn that your world, itself, has value in ways that you may not have initially recognized. Build a better foundation for your series, by looking outside the box of what is possible.