PDA

View Full Version : Breathing/breaths as SFX or dialog?

Robert_S
06-11-2014, 03:23 PM
I'm thinking it would be a SFX, but I'm not sure. I've read a few comics (compared to the whole that exists) and I've seen grunts and gasps and such made dialog, but what about breathing, in the case of someone dying or regaining a lung full of air.

B-McKinley
06-11-2014, 03:37 PM
I would say dialog because I've sometimes heard that the balloon tails evolved from symbolic representations of breath, and there is a punctuation symbol unique to comic fonts called breath marks that indicates that the enclosed bit is a breathing sound. See "Breath Marks." (http://www.blambot.com/grammar.shtml)

Like most things, it's really more of a convention than a rule. It does save you from having to figure out believable onomatopoeia.

Robert_S
06-11-2014, 05:49 PM
I would say dialog because I've sometimes heard that the balloon tails evolved from symbolic representations of breath, and there is a punctuation symbol unique to comic fonts called breath marks that indicates that the enclosed bit is a breathing sound. See "Breath Marks." (http://www.blambot.com/grammar.shtml)

Like most things, it's really more of a convention than a rule. It does save you from having to figure out believable onomatopoeia.

In the script, would I use asterisks to represent breath marks? I'm a writer. I can't draw.

arseneau77
06-11-2014, 06:05 PM
In the script, would I use asterisks to represent breath marks? I'm a writer. I can't draw.

I usually use ><

Asterisks can be misinterpreted to mean bold.

paul brian deberry
06-11-2014, 08:46 PM
nope just say. CHARACTER: (SIGHS/DEEP BREATH) Letterer will take care of the rest.

Check out this link...
http://www.blambot.com/comicscript.shtml

and moving to the lettering area of the board.

Thomas Mauer
06-12-2014, 09:15 AM
If you use fireflies in your script, do your letterer a favor and use curly braces. That's where fireflies are located in lettering fonts. You'll save the letterer a bit of time correcting the glyphs:

{sigh} {cough}

khperkins
06-12-2014, 01:34 PM
If you use fireflies in your script, do your letterer a favor and use curly braces. That's where fireflies are located in lettering fonts. You'll save the letterer a bit of time correcting the glyphs:

{sigh} {cough}
Yeah, except for some Comicraft fonts.

Evan Henry
06-12-2014, 03:18 PM
Personal choice, but as a writer I'd put it in dialogue.

If I were lettering a book, though, I'd definitely want it spelled out for me. A letterer's job is to put the words you write onto the page, not to write your sound effects for you. It's a simple onomatopoeia (good Lord, I spelled that word right on the first try). "Huff" or "hff" will do.

Kep!
06-17-2014, 01:12 PM
For me, as a writer and letterer, it would depend on what else was in the panel. If the character is speaking other lines, put it in the balloon >pant, pant<. I almost always use an alternate, lowercase font (italic as well) for aspirations and such (I like SuperStrong and MightyZeo 2.0 from Blambot).

HOWEVER, if there is no dialogue (or very little), I would make this an SFX, but also using the fonts above...make them simple, use the fireflies, and probably colored or inverted.

Hopefully that helps.