PDA

View Full Version : Kick starter advice needed.

omega sentry
06-07-2014, 12:47 AM
Ok here goes I want to start a kickstarter project.

What I got is pencils down.

Now should I search for colorist and inkers that I can book to start on the date that the kickstarter is approved if it is given the funding, or is that not necessary.

Also from more experienced people would it be best to set the goal for digital distribution for say comixology or print?

The goal would change given the fact that I would have to add the printing cost. That's a given, but is it a better incentive to give print copies rather than digital to your bakers?

This is were I'm mostly indecisive about right now and would like to here from more experienced creators.

I feel that this is something I most do, I also feel like I have a pretty good set of stories to tell. But I am one person and can't do it all as much as I like to think I can. Specially with the resources I have right now. I've put this projects on the back burner for to long. It's time to take the next step.

eDuke
06-11-2014, 01:51 AM
You should have your creators chosen so you can showcase their work. This will also mean you should actually show pages from the project itself so people know you're serious about it. No one wants to back a project that hasn't even started yet.

If you're only doing digital distribution, you need to have an extremely low goal. People know they can purchase digital comics online for a buck or two. So if you create a tier for $5 and have a digital comic and some other shit, let's say you get 100 backers. That's $500. But I haven't seen too many successful digital only Kickstarters. I'm sure there's the exception to the rule every once in a while tho.

Lots of people go into Kickstarter thinking they can pay themselves and talent standard mainstream rates. Just doesn't happen.

L Jamal
06-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Right now I have $500 tied up in just comic projects that haven't shipped. All of them were completed before the Kickstarter and almost 1/2 are already behind schedule. And those were done before the Kickstarter campaign occurred (many are web comic compilations).

I don't care who you are, I'm not backing a Kickstarter comic campaign where the art hasn't begun.

eDuke
06-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I went through my list and have a bunch that are past their cook time. Unfortunately, it looks like a standard thing with Kickstarter. But I vowed NOT to be that guy with our FOJ one.

omega sentry
06-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Thank you so much Ed and Jamal for the replies and your insight.

Having second opinions, specially with more experienced creators helps tremendously in the indecisiveness and perspectives that are not considered.

I figured I would have to have at least 4,000/5,000 if I were to add printing cost.

I was thinking to keep it low if it was digital....maybe $2,500/3,000 + 5% that kickstarter takes...or should it be lower?

We got colorist, inker, letterer I get the comic book done. So I don't need to get paid. I didn't even considered that people self pay them selves. I thought the creation of the book was payment enough.

I could pay 75 per page? I personally have not found any one below that rate that does considerably good quality inks or colors...maybe digital inkers but defiantly not colors.

You guys given me the cook time to think about as well, wouldn't want to be that guy as well even if people do, do that. Specially if I wanted to do it again with another project.

Thanks for the insight.

Alyssa
06-12-2014, 01:09 AM
My 2 cents as a fairly regular kickstarter backer...

Absolutely got to have the entire art team on board. If the creator isn't a big name, then at least one of the contributors (hopefully the artist) should be. Gives me more faith that a project will actually get done when an experienced person is behind the wheel.

The BEST thing is to have it completed prior to funding, and just use the funds to take care of printing costs. Just one hurdle to overcome. Then use stretch goals (if you're that lucky) to help fill the gaping hole in your pockets from paying the artists. I've seen a lot of Kickstarters where artists have left a project part way through. And I really would prefer comics with consistent art per issue.

If you're going to print, make sure you've already got your printer locked in and committed. You don't want to face a price hike or the printer bowing out at the last minute. Also make sure that printer is reputable. Whoever Brubaker used for ReMIND produced stellar work.

I think the best thing would be to do as much preparation BEFORE the kickstarter as possible. The more stuff you can get out of the way before it launches, the less likely you are to become one of "those" campaigners (I get sad when the mailman doesn't deliver me comics).

And make sure you got your marketing campaign ready! The majority of your backers will come from places OTHER than Kickstarter. I might hold onto my money initially, but if I see that a campaign is 150% funded with 10 days left, I'm more likely to throw my money in on one of the bigger pledge levels. Social proof works, yo. :har:

MBirkhofer
06-12-2014, 08:40 AM
While I agree with most of the advice.

Having the project completely before starting the kickstarter, kindof defeats the purpose of kickstarter...
Of course do you want something to show though.