PDA

View Full Version : Kevin McCoy sexy DEJAH THORIS Inked

grumpyfatfury
06-02-2014, 10:11 PM
A recent commission over the uber-talented Kevin McCoy.

Kevin's work can be found here: http://klawmccoy.deviantart.com/

My inks can be found here: http://jk5-inks.deviantart.com/

Comments & critiques are welcome.

Cheers,
J

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/152/1/1/mccoy_dejah_thoris___lorez_by_jk5_inks-d7kogpo.jpg

VANDAL
06-04-2014, 03:48 PM
it looks digital and cheap. no depth, no human quality to it. sorry

ferah11
06-04-2014, 04:25 PM
What the heck is this guy talking about??? It looks a lot better than a lot of the stuff that "seasoned pros" from this forum do.

I only think that some of the feathering look a little too thin, and looking at the size of the piece, it may get lost on print, besides that I like it a lot.

Hey Vandal you site is down, anywhere to see your must recent/published stuff?

Morganza
06-04-2014, 04:27 PM
What the heck is this guy talking about??? It looks a lot better than a lot of the stuff that "seasoned pros" from this forum do.

I only think that some of the feathering look a little too thin, and looking at the size of the piece, it may get lost on print, besides that I like it a lot.

I totally agree, maybe add some line weights, but very well done!

grumpyfatfury
06-05-2014, 06:14 PM
it looks digital and cheap. no depth, no human quality to it. sorry

The only thing digital about it is the fact I used a computer to scan it.

And I'm not really sure what is meant by it looking "cheap."

I can use the depth comment as criticism though, so thank you.

Cheers,
J

grumpyfatfury
06-05-2014, 06:15 PM

Thanks; I'll try working on the feathering a little more. Make it a little thicker.

Cheers,
J

grumpyfatfury
06-05-2014, 06:16 PM
I totally agree, maybe add some line weights, but very well done!

Thanks. I think Vandal was right about the depth; there should be some heavier line weights around Dejah, slightly less on her immediate background, and even less on the actual background.

Cheers,
J

Arden Belfry
06-05-2014, 07:05 PM
I like it, personal opinion, less lines on woman make them look younger, and softer. I would suggest not cross hatching skin on a woman. I understand that doesn't leave a lot to cross hatch in this piece. Try using more line weight instead. But overall a really nice piece.

grumpyfatfury
06-05-2014, 07:33 PM
I like it, personal opinion, less lines on woman make them look younger, and softer. I would suggest not cross hatching skin on a woman. I understand that doesn't leave a lot to cross hatch in this piece. Try using more line weight instead. But overall a really nice piece.

Thank you; and great advice. It's easy to get caught up in hatching to make it look "pretty", but again, less on a woman = more. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
J

VANDAL
06-12-2014, 06:43 PM

It's been a while but you can view a lot of my work at vandal1z.deviantart.com

VANDAL
06-12-2014, 06:48 PM
I also realize that I came of as exceedingly snarky in my first reply to this work. For that I am sorry that I didn't spend more time to explain why I don't like the work. The bottom line is that it looks very "lifeless", which made me assume that it was digitally inked because I see that a lot in digi inks. This does not imply that I think what you are doing is worthless at all, it just feels TOO robotic. That's the funny thing about inking,,your lines must be extremely precise but they should have "life" to them as well. I will never brag about my own inks to be honest. Every time I finish a piece all I see are it's flaws and to me, they are EVERYWHERE. Welcome to the life of an artist.

Gwlister
06-12-2014, 08:21 PM
I dig it -- my ONLY suggestion would be maybe adding some more black areas to beef up the contrast. The majority of your lines are pretty much the same weight; being so detailed, it's kind of difficult make sense of what you're seeing at first glance, mostly in the dangling necklace/forearm/pillow background area. I've made a quick mock up as an idea of what I'm thinking:

http://f.cl.ly/items/063F022c3M011R2b2e0z/Screen%20Shot%202014-06-12%20at%206.07.41%20PM.jpg

Again -- JUST something to think about. You've got some great opportunity for cool texture/shadow on the cliffs and some space/stars in the sky behind her. If this is digital, maybe try it out on another layer. See what you think. Otherwise, I think this is pretty tight, clean inking. I don't mind the hatching. I think it's very minimal and helps subtly define the shape of the foreshortened knee/thigh and her abdomen area.

Great work!

:thumbs::thumbs:

MBirkhofer
06-13-2014, 08:32 AM
If no colors, I would agree with you Gwlister.
The other issue, is the lineart simply didn't have that either.

I think that falls under, let the colorist do it category.

nice piece. Take my comments with a grain of salt, as coming from a colorist with very little inking experience. Simply working over, and with many inkers and pencillers.

Depth is an issue here, as noted.
We can open up the pencils and see a few things readily.
In the inks, only her hair stands out. Her body blends into the lineweight of the surroundings. As well as the volume of white.

On the pencils its different. Her necklace, the drapery of her skirt, the rug, the brazier. its all creating a wall of grey. Clearly separating from her white body.
Tassles above also have thicker lines. framing her.

Lineweights on the metal clothing to pull it out. I'd like to see a touch more marks on the rug so it reads separate from the rest. Lineweights on the brazier so it doesnt read so flat.

I am no hatching expert. But the pillows, and skirt(whats the correct name for that?), the inks are just WAY too harsh. They are solid. That doesn't look like cloth at all in the inks.

Hair has a similar problem, it just looks plastic now.

johnjohn
06-14-2014, 04:02 PM
First off - nice clean work.

One crit though, (btw didn't really read the other replies so apologies if this has been covered) all of the rounded lines on and around the woman all have the same line weight to them. And with the amount of them used for jewlery and decorative pieces it creates flat spots.
The face and lower body look great, but you hit a couple flat spots in between them which drains some of the energy and flow.

grumpyfatfury
06-15-2014, 09:57 PM
I dig it -- my ONLY suggestion would be maybe adding some more black areas to beef up the contrast. The majority of your lines are pretty much the same weight; being so detailed, it's kind of difficult make sense of what you're seeing at first glance, mostly in the dangling necklace/forearm/pillow background area. I've made a quick mock up as an idea of what I'm thinking:

http://f.cl.ly/items/063F022c3M011R2b2e0z/Screen%20Shot%202014-06-12%20at%206.07.41%20PM.jpg

Again -- JUST something to think about. You've got some great opportunity for cool texture/shadow on the cliffs and some space/stars in the sky behind her. If this is digital, maybe try it out on another layer. See what you think. Otherwise, I think this is pretty tight, clean inking. I don't mind the hatching. I think it's very minimal and helps subtly define the shape of the foreshortened knee/thigh and her abdomen area.

Great work!

:thumbs::thumbs:

Excellent advice, and thanks for taking the time to sketch it out as well.

I think my biggest 'fear', and I use that term loosely, when inking, is that I'm going to take away from the pencils, or piss off the artist, by doing TOO much to the piece. I can totally understand what you mean by the blacks, which ends up from Dejah, so that may be something I can come back to with a 2nd go-round with it.

Again, very much appreciated.

Cheers,
J

grumpyfatfury
06-15-2014, 09:58 PM
If no colors, I would agree with you Gwlister.
The other issue, is the lineart simply didn't have that either.

I think that falls under, let the colorist do it category.

nice piece. Take my comments with a grain of salt, as coming from a colorist with very little inking experience. Simply working over, and with many inkers and pencillers.

Depth is an issue here, as noted.
We can open up the pencils and see a few things readily.
In the inks, only her hair stands out. Her body blends into the lineweight of the surroundings. As well as the volume of white.

On the pencils its different. Her necklace, the drapery of her skirt, the rug, the brazier. its all creating a wall of grey. Clearly separating from her white body.
Tassles above also have thicker lines. framing her.

Lineweights on the metal clothing to pull it out. I'd like to see a touch more marks on the rug so it reads separate from the rest. Lineweights on the brazier so it doesnt read so flat.

I am no hatching expert. But the pillows, and skirt(whats the correct name for that?), the inks are just WAY too harsh. They are solid. That doesn't look like cloth at all in the inks.

Hair has a similar problem, it just looks plastic now.

All excellent advice. Thank you.

Cheers,
J

grumpyfatfury
06-15-2014, 09:59 PM
First off - nice clean work.

One crit though, (btw didn't really read the other replies so apologies if this has been covered) all of the rounded lines on and around the woman all have the same line weight to them. And with the amount of them used for jewlery and decorative pieces it creates flat spots.
The face and lower body look great, but you hit a couple flat spots in between them which drains some of the energy and flow.

Great advice. Thank you.

I can see what you mean by the middle of the pic...you lose any distinction of subjects.

Cheers,
J

Justice41
06-28-2014, 12:22 PM
all the little feathering on the body i'd erase or white out. the ridge of the nose and the feathering under her lips, gone. less is always more on a female.... in more ways than one. ;)
From checking out your other ink samples you lack that bold stroke when doing external lineweights. The holding line on every figure I've see you do is almost uniform. Be bold no lightsource? establish one and go for it. make those lines really thick and thin.

grumpyfatfury
06-29-2014, 10:28 AM
all the little feathering on the body i'd erase or white out. the ridge of the nose and the feathering under her lips, gone. less is always more on a female.... in more ways than one. ;)
From checking out your other ink samples you lack that bold stroke when doing external lineweights. The holding line on every figure I've see you do is almost uniform. Be bold no lightsource? establish one and go for it. make those lines really thick and thin.

Less lines on females was mentioned by someone else as well; very good point.

Yeah, it seems to be a general consensus that I'm not using bold enough lines to out the main focus of the page; I've always tried to stay away from making something TOO bold on a page...guess I've achieved the opposite in doing that. Another good point!

Justice41
06-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Yeah go back to the artwork of guys like Neal Adams and almost any 70's 80's artwork and you'll see some hugely thick and thin lines. Those guys went for it. I've owned some of those pages and the heavy underside linework was so thick it had to have been inked by a much larger than number 2 round brush.
Also chisel down those etbrows, they make her look manly