PDA

View Full Version : How they can make a Hulk movie that works

omega sentry
05-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Why the hulk movies fail,

Itís not doubt the have been a flop at the movies, but in reality either of the hulks movies can go with any of the developing movies the other avengers have. Just watching iron-man, cap or thor along with the hulk movies back to back and their was no real epicness on the iron-man, cap or thor movies that over shadow the hulk.

However I think this is were they went wrong and why I always say if itís not broke donít fix it.
Neither hulk is better than the other one, in fact the fallow the same formulaÖ.hulk smash big holywood chase scenes different characters.

The first hulk brought us a young Bruce Banner, which is not what most hulk fans are used to. For those who are fans of the TV hulk of course. The second Bruce Banner was Ed NortonÖwhoís acting and look was not there for me and well his troubles with the studiosÖ at the time people feared changed but Iím glad it was done.

Never the less the hulk and the incredible hulk were not at all that different. Just different situations and one had a little better hulk effects.

This is were Norton lost negotiations because T I H didnít do that much better than hulk and he was acting as if he was a big deal that they needed.

Now how they can make an interesting hulkÖ.

As far as origins, they should keep it short again, as they did in T I H. and focus on what made the hulk a loved character. The hulk helping people!

Yes that made him lovable and something that was not in either hulk movie. In the movies he was mostly out to help him self first. It was all hulk, hulk, hulk. With insinuations that he was a great down to earth humanitarian. But the movies was all about him wanting to be normal and the waste he laid to get that made him look selfish.

In the avengers, the insinuated that he was a humanitarian but also showed that he was a lot of support to others. Thatís what the hulk needs for you to feel for him.

He being the big brother support, sure he is not perfect because he getís really angry and smashes things but in the end he is there for every one.

Now let us explore the TV show, well isnít that what the premises of the TV show was. Him putting off his quest to help other people that were in trouble. Him getting the worst of the bad guys while protecting people.

Iím sure at some point he was, well I canít be killed, but before he knew that he could not be killed he went out of his way to help people and sometimes got shot, pushed over buildings, ran over and so forth. That was his character, helping selflessly. He didnít know if getting shot would not get him killed, or pushed over a building would not cause his death. He later realized that well those things canít kill the hulk. But the thing is he did them anyways.

If they make a movie with Mark Ruffalo helping people while abandoning his quest to be cured That hulk movie will reel in the big bucks.

:banana:

paul brian deberry
05-25-2014, 03:45 PM
I love the Hulk, he is without a doubt my favorite property. A Hulk movie needs to be 10% about the man and 90% about the monster. On the big screen the Hulk at best is a secondary lead or the main reason for the movie. In the comics the best Hulk stories are the ones where the Hulk just wants to be left alone.

The Hulk is not a hero, he is more like King Kong, a monster that wants to be left alone, but for obvious reason will never see that happen.

If I was to write a Hulk story (yes please) I would take the King King approach.

In hiding for X amount of years, someone (the main antagonist) with a serious grudge or that wants to weaponize the Hulk finds him tucked away in the Savage Land. We see him doing cool Hulk stuff, the person looking for him sends in a naive group of heroes called The Defenders, they capture him, the antagonist is revealed to be a dick (of course), Hulk gets pissed off escapes, tears the city up, reluctantly the Defenders are once again called upon to capture the Hulk, they bust up the city, in the end it's not the Defenders that defeats the Hulk, but a young girl that the Hulk saves during the chaos of the fight, a girl that he uses all his built up anger to save and ultimately kills the Hulk.

Moonrider
05-26-2014, 01:25 AM
If I were writing The Hulk movie, it would show General Ross alone finding Bruce Banner on a cabin in the woods. Bruce's hair is long and messy, and he seem to gain a bit more muscle. Talbot is weary, looking older than he actually is, older than he usually looks. All of his past animosities with The Hulk seem to be gone, replaced by desperation in his eyes.
"We need you, Bruce. We need The Hulk. <i>I</i> need The Hulk."
"I'm sorry, General. The Hulk and I are retired. We've made a promise."
"They kidnapped Betty, Bruce. She's still alive."
Bruce paused, then in a fit of rage he pounds on the cabin wall and transforming into The Hulk.
Cut to title card. HULK SMASH: THE REVENGE OF THE HULK

Justice41
05-26-2014, 12:01 PM
Hulk should not have stand alone movies. There's just no justification for the brute to be running around battling the military or some other equally brutal monster outside of defending the earth alongside the Avengers. Now that Marvel is introducing the Kree into the MMU with GOTG an outerspace adventure for the Hulk may be at hand. Maybe move towards Planet Hulk.

Angel
05-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Omega Sentry is dead on. Good Hulk stories hinge on us caring about Banners welfare and happiness then him sacrificing his comfort, anonymity, and personal desires in order to protect others.

Slang Strong
05-28-2014, 07:17 PM
I would really like to see a stand alone Hulk film based on Indestructible Hulk. Where Bruce is co-opted by S.H.I.E.L.D. with some type of arrangement that sends him after the threats they can't handle. You could do so much with this type of storyline and it would tie in really well to the current state of the Marvel Cinematic U, and most importantly it would focus mostly on HULK and not Bruce Banner.

omega sentry
05-29-2014, 04:24 PM
LOL paul wasn't that the first hulk's sub plot?

Anyways.....

Hulk should not have stand alone movies. There's just no justification for the brute to be running around battling the military or some other equally brutal monster outside of defending the earth alongside the Avengers. Now that Marvel is introducing the Kree into the MMU with GOTG an outerspace adventure for the Hulk may be at hand. Maybe move towards Planet Hulk.

I agree with the fact that there is no justification for the hulk running around battling the military that's were they go wrong.

In the real world the military would try to kill the hulk once they realized they can't kill the hulk or contain him in any way shape of form, they would just do whatever to keep him away from population and if that's leaving him alone while keeping a close eye on him to lure him away from a city then that's what they would do.

Planet hulk would fail, only because planet hulk is John carter only with the hulk and that movie didn't do well.

I still stand a successful hulk movie would be one were we see bruce's pain not only mental but physical pain and him going out of his way to protect the innocent regardless of that pain.

Again going back to the TV show when he transformed to the hulk there was a feeling, most of the time at least, that he was going through a lot of pain while transforming both mental and physical. That's what the movies should have first showed.

The movies never really showed that however...not even the avengers. Sure the best scene to date when he was all...

I'm always angry! that was geektastic. But the road to that, should have been one of pain both physical and mentally. Of course there was hints that, that did happen. To get to the point of putting a bullet through your head and all has to be pretty dramatic.

Should be pain, pain and more pain to the point that control of that pain means you still feel it, but you don't let it rule you.

I'm telling you if you make him a would be martyr for lack of a better word, Then it will be successful. I mean he can't really be a martyr cause he can't die but he can always sacrifices everything for his belief.

omega sentry
05-29-2014, 04:37 PM
LOL paul wasn't that the first hulk's sub plot?

Anyways.....

I agree with the fact that there is no justification for the hulk running around battling the military that's were they go wrong.

In the real world the military would try to kill the hulk once they realized they can't kill the hulk or contain him in any way shape of form, they would just do whatever to keep him away from population and if that's leaving him alone while keeping a close eye on him to lure him away from a city then that's what they would do.

Planet hulk would fail, only because planet hulk is John carter only with the hulk and that movie didn't do well.

I still stand a successful hulk movie would be one were we see bruce's pain not only mental but physical pain and him going out of his way to protect the innocent regardless of that pain.

Again going back to the TV show when he transformed to the hulk there was a feeling, most of the time at least, that he was going through a lot of pain while transforming both mental and physical. That's what the movies should have first showed.

The movies never really showed that however...not even the avengers. Sure the best scene to date when he was all...

I'm always angry! that was geektastic. But the road to that, should have been one of pain both physical and mentally. Of course there was hints that, that did happen. To get to the point of putting a bullet through your head and all has to be pretty dramatic.

Should be pain, pain and more pain to the point that control of that pain means you still feel it, but you don't let it rule you.

I'm telling you if you make him a would be martyr for lack of a better word, Then it will be successful. I mean he can't really be a martyr cause he can't die but he can always sacrifices everything for his belief.

Also compare the movie transformations to the tv, The tv while it tv cheeseball graphics is more successful in delivering pain and anger at all levels. Maybe CG can't do that ??? but I believe it can if they experiment....

But I mean look at it bigsby and ferrigno they are insane.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/I5CLV4-Jg_Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

omega sentry
07-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Looks like they are going to go the planet hulk route. I really think that is not going to work for the hulk. Specially if the guardians of the galaxy don't wow people. Which is like to not wow people.

Moonrider
07-13-2014, 10:19 PM
I think using Planet Hulk as the base story could and I dare say will work. If you watched Dawn of The Planet of The Apes recently you'd see that performance capture with digital makeup can deliver the same intense drama and acting as regular actors performing on screen. Planet Hulk is is a good story where we can actually see The Hulk as a real person with all his anger, hopes and fears. Mark Ruffalo would be a perfect fit to play both Banner and the intelligent Hulk with the help of performance capture. It would be the ultimate comic book movie that not only break the same old tired routine of Banner running away from the military to find a cure (which has been done to death since the TV series), but also expands the Marvel Universe in a grand and epic way.

omega sentry
07-14-2014, 07:21 PM
And then you have Hollywood and then you have people and then you have if guardians of the galaxy is not a hit then scrap that and then you have John carter to consider. Hulk Carter!

I love space adventures, put alien and I'm there no if or buts about it, but people don't like alien movies out side the aliens franchise, start wars franchise, and star trek franchise.

Moonrider
07-15-2014, 04:39 AM
The thing about John Carter was that it didn't have a talking raccoon in it. :laugh:
It was poorly marketed and despite that it's a decent enough movie it failed to invoke a sense of wonderment from the audience to the universe that the characters lived in. It had a good enough script, but I'm afraid Andrew Stanton didn't have the chops for directing a live action blockbuster movie of that magnitude yet.
Avatar is the biggest space adventure film outside the known franchises you mentioned, and it delivered in spades. With the right director and a good script, Planet Hulk could be a much bigger film than Guardians of the Galaxy, which I predict will be a hit. After all, Thor 2 had most of its scenes set on an alien world called Asgard. Despite the lackluster plot and underused villain, it still managed to be a nice box office draw.

omega sentry
07-15-2014, 02:02 PM
To be honest in my opinion John carter was just as good as any marvel movie that is making bank at the box-office. The only person that lacked was probably the bimbo princes, But I thought that was the rule, to be a bimbo princess???? lol...

So I will have to say promotion and lack of audiences going oohhhh ahhhhh it's awesome.

like I said I have little faith on the audience, unless critics get bought off to not do their job which is bash on something even if it's good and spoon feed the audience that it's good then I'll be more optimistic.

The fate of that movie as of now depends on how gardians do, so crossing fingers.

cause they had big plans for spidey but after the movie review and such I think the spidey universe is not going to happen.