PDA

View Full Version : The Baroness

MattJames
05-17-2014, 04:24 AM
Pencils by Ace Continuado
Digital Inks by Matt James

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/108/8/4/the_baroness_by_mattjamescomicarts-d7f22ha.jpg

I would love to hear what people think - I am fairly new to digital inking.

Rob Norton
05-18-2014, 04:16 PM
the cross hatching/feathering lines in her figure are the weakest here. its hard to compare without the original pencils. but all those feathering lines are wobbly and lack confidence and ability with a good solid "snap" in the rendering. inking is hard either way, traditional or digital, but the most important part is being able to SEE that your lines aren't looking the way they need to so you can understand what/how to fix it thru practice.

rob

VANDAL
05-22-2014, 01:43 PM
The feathering is terribly weak. Rob is correct in his crit of your work. I am not trying to discourage you, I am only trying to make you better. Work on your thin to thick lines and you will eventually get there!

MattJames
06-01-2014, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the info guys. It is good to get advice on where I need to concentrate and improve. And don't worry, I don't get discouraged.

I actually meant to post a Side-By-Side of this, and copied the wrong link when posting...

Here are the original pencils next to my inks.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/108/d/4/the_baroness_sbs_by_mattjamescomicarts-d7f22jm.jpg

Rob Norton
06-01-2014, 05:53 PM
ah...see...much better. (wishe the pencils were higher resolution to see.)

the pencils are pretty damn good, but from what I can see, the crosshatching on the pencils is equally horrible. specifically, when compared to the slick smother rendering of everything else he did, those tiny little "tick" lines he added on there don't fit at all with the rest of the image. and you inked it pretty dang closely, so much that all this slickness looks great, but you also recreated his BAD crosshatching. and that's where I would say maybe adding some feathering to them would have made it better. but it appears that YOU did a great job inking.

I would also add that MAYBE you over did the backgrounds. you added more textures and things and they feel to busy and to cluttered as compared to the pencils. just my thoughts.

rob