PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Canon

paul brian deberry
04-26-2014, 02:59 PM
Okay all you Star Wars (all three of us) that frequent DW.

I know you're all pulling your hairs and sucking thumbs in worry about what's official Star Wars Cannon after the big(ish) announcement that the Expanded Universe (http://www.theforce.net/v3-story/frontMoving_Beyond_Existing_EU_Lucasfilm_Announces _New_Direction_For_Star_Wars_Canon_157581.asp) stuff will play no part in the up coming movies.

I came across a list of things you need to watch/read to get caught up before the new movie comes out next year. Some stuff like the books and new animated series isn't available yet.

*Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
*Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
*Star Wars: The Clone Wars Animated Film
*Star Wars The Clone Wars Animated Series
*Star Wars: Darth Maul - Son of Dartomir Volumes 1-4 Comic Book Series
*Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
*Star Wars: Talkin (Novel)
*Star Wars: A New Dawn (Novel)
*Star Wars: Rebels Animated Series
*Star Wars: Lords of the Sith (Novel)
*Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
*Star Wars: Heir to the Jedi (Novel)
*Star Wars Episode V: Empire Strikes Back
*Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
*Star Wars Episode VII

Co.Inkadink
04-26-2014, 04:57 PM
I'm watching the Clone Wars with my kids and I found out that the season order isn't chronological. So here is the correct viewing order.

clone wars viewing order (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/2014/03/17/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder/)

Great Show BTW.

paul brian deberry
04-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Good find. I've seen the list, just to lazy to follow it.

Duane Korslund
04-28-2014, 09:19 AM
I'm thinking I'll be bowing out of Star Wars fandom...throwing out the EU...that's pretty rough.

Slang Strong
04-28-2014, 10:17 AM
The thing is, they've always kind of ignored the EU for the most part. Even when the EU was really all there was going on Star Wars-wise, George Lucas made it a point to say that only the movies were "canon".

As a huge Star Wars fan, the way I look at it is most EU isn't going to directly interfere with the movies, they're there to add to the lore. But now that we're getting way more movies than we ever thought we were going to, there's going to be more crossover as well. Personally, I'm VERY glad that they're going in a new direction rather than re-hashing old EU stories. I'd much rather have the next trilogy expand the epic in a way that I'd never even thought of, and hopefully with a new team behind the films they can rekindle some of the magic from the original trilogy.

paul brian deberry
04-28-2014, 08:49 PM
I'm thinking I'll be bowing out of Star Wars fandom...throwing out the EU...that's pretty rough.

Fair enough. Are saying you're skipping the movies altogether. Hope not, because that would be silly.

paul brian deberry
04-28-2014, 08:54 PM
The thing is, they've always kind of ignored the EU for the most part. Even when the EU was really all there was going on Star Wars-wise, George Lucas made it a point to say that only the movies were "canon".

As a huge Star Wars fan, the way I look at it is most EU isn't going to directly interfere with the movies, they're there to add to the lore. But now that we're getting way more movies than we ever thought we were going to, there's going to be more crossover as well. Personally, I'm VERY glad that they're going in a new direction rather than re-hashing old EU stories. I'd much rather have the next trilogy expand the epic in a way that I'd never even thought of, and hopefully with a new team behind the films they can rekindle some of the magic from the original trilogy.

I'm in the boat that it's not a horrible idea to make movies from some of the awesome EU stuff. But, I also get that Disney wants nothing to do with creator owned Star Wars stuff. Which is pretty much what the EU stuff is and you know, 20+ years from now when Timothy Zahn or any of the other novel guys die and their children/grandchildren get greedy they would come after Disney for a piece of that pie.

Look at the mess that is Marvel and DC...

Evan Henry
04-29-2014, 12:17 AM
I don't think anything in the EU is creator-owned. I know Dark Horse hold copyright on the comics, and I'm pretty sure Lucasbooks or some other subsidiary handles novel rights.

EDIT: Never mind, I see what you meant.

Duane Korslund
04-29-2014, 09:01 AM
Fair enough. Are saying you're skipping the movies altogether. Hope not, because that would be silly.

No, I'll grudgingly see the movies....that's a rite of passage...but the respect I had for this elaborately built universe is gone....

paul brian deberry
04-29-2014, 08:30 PM
I don't think anything in the EU is creator-owned. I know Dark Horse hold copyright on the comics, and I'm pretty sure Lucasbooks or some other subsidiary handles novel rights.

EDIT: Never mind, I see what you meant.

sometimes it's takes a second or two to figure what I was talking about, too.

cheeseisgood1918
04-30-2014, 10:46 AM
I'll see the new films gladly. The best thing that's happened to the franchise is taking them out of Lucas' hands. I've always thought he was kinda hackey as a filmmaker. The original trilogy was only good because it was such a collaborative effort with so many other people. Lucas' original vision for the film was altered and improved a lot by others. I'm really not sure if the originals would have been any good without Gary Kurtz, who only produced the first 2 (and the only good imo) Star Wars films. I'm not saying Lucas didn't make any meaningful contributions to Star Wars, obviously he created the franchise, I just don't think he's that great of a writer. He needs other people to script and create dialog for him.

Look at the prequals. He wanted to do all the writing for those. He was so precious about making those films entirely his, and they sucked for the most part. Bah, I'm just rambling now. I just don't like Lucas I guess. Glad he's not at the helm anymore.

Edit: I should note, because someone will bring it up, that Lucas is a good director. He knows how to shoot action scenes, and he's competent ant setting tone and scale. He just needs to stick to doing outlines rather than full scripts.

Evan Henry
04-30-2014, 11:54 AM
I'm currently enjoying this (text not mine): http://starwars.com/play/online-activities/crawl-creator/?cs=vnhvjsrmkr