PDA

View Full Version : Creating a cover for my comic

Morganza
04-23-2014, 08:33 PM
This is just the basics, I'd just like to know if anything stands out as wrong, if you think it looks old school then I'm on the right track. Also working on color scheme for the title, right now I'm thinking of going with blue face and yellow-orange trim.

Looking for opinions.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dod87vDUOOo/U1hMs4jLFzI/AAAAAAAAG2w/T38Xu3fLC1Y/s1600/COPC01.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MlAY7MgB-uA/U1myMUeeCpI/AAAAAAAAG3Q/VL1wM_T84PI/s1600/Comic-Page-Templte2.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-aigvfyecKuc/U1wiwy88pZI/AAAAAAAAG3w/UeMeZCCc4MQ/s1600/Comic-Page-Templte-4.png

Thomas Mauer
04-24-2014, 05:29 AM
You need to think about the bleed and trim area on your cover the same as on interior pages.

Judging by the screenshot, you're working with 6.875x10.4375" (or 10.5") document size.

Your bleed area is 0.125" on each side. That's getting trimmed off leaving you with a visible 6.625x10.1875" (or 10.25") as the final dimensions.

All vital information including logo and cover dress should be inside your live area. To be safe make it a centered 6x9.4375" (or 9.5")

You CAN have cover dress elements peek outside the live area and onto the trim area, but don't chance it too much. when the bleed area gets trimmed off you'll hardly ever get a 100% perfect trim on an entire print run. Those cuts can be a little off meaning stuff on your trim area will be cut off in unintended places.

Right now it looks like your cover will be trimmed such:

Left: Right on the left stroke of the barcode box.

Top: Somewhere on the black strip right above BLACK PYRAMID STUDIOS and trimming off a bit of the stamp.

RIGHT: On the outline of the S in the logo.

Bottom: Half of the space between the document border and the barcode box.

There are also some tangents in the logo caused by the outlines, particularly between OF and PACIFICA. I'd suggest making their outlines as big as in GUARDIANS and combining them all into one, as if the letters are sitting on a plate. The placeholders left and right of OF should have the same dimensions and also be integrated into this overall outline.

Ditch the slim wedges in the M and N outlines, and move the upper corner of the M outline up until those lines are parallel to the M's diagonal lines.

You could also nudge the P and A a little to the right for more even letter spacing.

Jeff LeBlanc
04-24-2014, 03:45 PM
Also, the lettering in the BLACK PYRAMID STUDIOS banner just looks like a normal font that's been squashed down 50%. It throws off the balance of line weights in the font, making it less attractive and less not very legible--the S is particular becomes really wonky.

Morganza
04-24-2014, 04:46 PM
Excellent crits Thomas and Jeff!

Thomas, thanks for the in-depth overview of how a cover is set up, this was extremely helpful and I have reset my template to match it.

Thank you dudes, I knew I would get valuable help here!

Morganza
04-24-2014, 05:32 PM
Here's my update, I need to fix the trim on the title but the edges get rounded out in PS, does anyone know how to expand the edges and still make them sharp?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zCeglUR4Qo4/U1l0MVexi7I/AAAAAAAAG3A/fXjAxq4H4Ck/s1600/Comic-Page-Templte.png

Co.Inkadink
04-24-2014, 06:36 PM
I'm not any authority or expert on lettering but I know what looks good and what I like. The Logo is really good. Throw some color on it and I think it would really catch the eye. This would make me want to look further at the comic which I suppose is the point.

Morganza
04-24-2014, 09:06 PM
Thanks very much Coinkadink! I think I can refine it even more, well I'm trying to.

Piekos
04-25-2014, 12:37 PM
My biggest issue is that the light source on the faux bevel is inconsistent. And I'll second what Thomas brought up: You're really tempting fate by blowing past the safe lettering area (blue line).

~N

Morganza
04-25-2014, 05:49 PM
Thanks Piekos, I already reorganized the layout to set everything inside the safe zone, I'll post an update later. I'll go back and make the lighting more consistent with the 3d bevel. Thanks for your input!

ponyrl
04-26-2014, 05:49 PM
The logo feels like its battling for attention against the book title because of the proximity and size. I'd adjust the size to be less combative.

Morganza
04-26-2014, 06:34 PM
OK, thanks Ponyrl, I did some tweaks.

Scribbly
04-27-2014, 08:27 AM
I would invert the color, yellow for letters and blue for outlines.
Or use a lighter blue on top of that golden yellow.
The fitted version looks better. IMHO.

Morganza
05-01-2014, 03:22 AM
Thanks Scribbly! I've tried both ways and don't like them, I think I like the plain white face on the gold bevel, after a dozen tweaks I like this one the most, Here's my final look.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--zYpJRN6HAI/U2Hm-qyPGRI/AAAAAAAAG4w/MAjqivoouGM/s1600/Comic-Page-Templte-6.png

AdWilliams
05-01-2014, 07:39 PM
I'm no expert in these things, but I've found the best logo designs incorporate themes from the actual book. Take a look at the original "Excalibur" logo from Marvel; it incorporated swords into the logo, probably as an attempt to connect it with British and Arthurian mythology. On it's own, this logo is pretty good. But what's the book about?

From the title, I'd guess something dealing with the ocean, a sea-based team. If this is the case, why not try to design a logo incorporating rolling waves or something similar. Something not only used for the logo, but almost emblematic.

Just a thought.

Morganza
05-01-2014, 09:16 PM
I appreciate the thought Ad, the book is about superheroes, and I am content with the logo as is.

Kel Nuttall
05-02-2014, 03:07 AM
I don't think you need the © with the title logo. If you want you'd put the ™ with the logo. Don;t suppose it hurts anything, I've just never seen it tagged to a logo….for anything really.

I like the logo BTW!

Morganza
05-02-2014, 04:25 AM
Thanks Kel, I changed it to TM.

ponyrl
05-03-2014, 01:25 AM
Muich better. :)

Alyssa
05-03-2014, 02:03 AM
Everything looks awesome, to me. The new gold bevel on white looks really slick.

The only little thing that's bugging me is the Black Pyramid Studios text wrapped inside the circle. Looks really warped and squished and the kerning is weird. Pretty sure Illustrator has the tools to set text like this properly, but I wouldn't have a clue how to do it. Sorry I can't be of more help. :-/

AdWilliams
05-03-2014, 02:20 AM
I don't think you need the © with the title logo. If you want you'd put the ™ with the logo. Don;t suppose it hurts anything, I've just never seen it tagged to a logo….for anything really.

I like the logo BTW!

Of course, you might want to make sure you've registered it as a trademark, too. That'll run around $500. I'm aware of the poor-man's copyright, but not a poor-man's trademark. I could be wrong. It might not be enforceable by law until you do so.

Morganza
05-03-2014, 05:23 AM
The only little thing that's bugging me is the Black Pyramid Studios text wrapped inside the circle. Looks really warped and squished and the kerning is weird. Pretty sure Illustrator has the tools to set text like this properly, but I wouldn't have a clue how to do it. Sorry I can't be of more help. :-/

Thanks for pointing that out I did try to fix it, I dont have Illustrator, this is the best I can do.

https://www.facebook.com/287741711330505/photos/a.287742071330469.55174.287741711330505/501310069973667/?l=d20f9ea498

QAN
05-04-2014, 10:50 AM
The logo is much improved. You could also, play with it some more (as insisted above) if you wish. You do have the three sides of the pyramid to work with and that neg spaces, but it's good as is. Have you thought of a mascot for your imprint?

Thomas Mauer
05-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Of course, you might want to make sure you've registered it as a trademark, too. That'll run around $500. I'm aware of the poor-man's copyright, but not a poor-man's trademark. I could be wrong. It might not be enforceable by law until you do so.

TM is the poor man's. (R) is the registered trademark which costs money.

paul brian deberry
05-05-2014, 02:06 PM
good stuff going on here.. thread stickied.

Morganza
05-06-2014, 06:56 AM
The logo is much improved. You could also, play with it some more (as insisted above) if you wish. You do have the three sides of the pyramid to work with and that neg spaces, but it's good as is. Have you thought of a mascot for your imprint?

Thanks, and no, I have not thought of a mascot. It's really something I do not need, this book has very dark subject matter, a mascot would seem inappropriate I think.

Comics Commando
05-17-2014, 07:06 PM
Overall nice job, Morganza. Relating to Thomas' advice, I've just updated my bleed guide. I'll be glad to send it your way. Just contact me at:

khathawayart@gmail.com

Best,

Kurt Hathaway
Cartoon Balloons Studio

Lettering / Logos / Fonts / Pre-Press / Page Design / Motion Graphics
for Print or Web / Entertainment, Advertising or Education!

deenamathew
11-01-2014, 02:39 AM
Its is good but something has to change i think the border

Comics Commando
12-19-2014, 04:07 PM
The above-mentioned bleed guide is now on my site's freebies page.

Get it here:
http://www.cartoon-balloons.com/downloads.html

Kurt Hathaway
---------------------------------
Cartoon Balloons Studio
Lettering • Logos • Pre-Press • Graphic Design • Video
for Print or Web • Entertainment, Advertising or Education!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETGevjPkZso

http://www.cartoon-balloons.com

OnoMattOpoeia
06-14-2015, 03:18 PM

If you're referring to the "mail it to yourself" trick, that's a very popular rumor, but it's incredibly simple to fake, and has no actual legal backing in terms of copyright enforcement.

Just wanted to toss that out there, lest anyone rely on it for protection.

Comics Commando
06-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Yeah, you can't just change the copyright symbol to TM. When I was at Image Comics, there was a period where we had to wait for the proper legal channels to take their course until we could add the TM to our {MY} cover logos. I'm not sure whet the procedure is, but there is filing of paperwork and a fee of some kind, I think.

Best,

Kurt Hathaway
Cartoon Balloons Studio
www.cartoon-balloons.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETGevjPkZso

L Jamal
06-17-2015, 09:44 PM
There is no filing required for TM, the filing is for the R.
Google TM vs R and read

Stewart Vernon
06-17-2015, 11:21 PM
Yeah, you can't just change the copyright symbol to TM. When I was at Image Comics, there was a period where we had to wait for the proper legal channels to take their course until we could add the TM to our {MY} cover logos. I'm not sure whet the procedure is, but there is filing of paperwork and a fee of some kind, I think.

There is very little in common with copyright and trademark, except that both can be ad-hoc OR formally registered.

You can slap a TM on statement/logo/brand name as long as no one else already has a trademark on it. The R-in-a-circle can only be used once it has been formally registered.

Copyright, FYI makes use of the same C-in-a-circle whether or not you register.

As with Copyright... Trademark registration is not required, though there might be some limitations to damages you can sue for if someone violates your unregistered trademark.