PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointed in MiracleMan

Rob Norton
04-16-2014, 06:02 PM
so I finally picked up the first 4 issues of the remastered reprinted MM series that has been talked about SO much historically.

one of the main reasons I was excited to read this was because of Alan Moore. I am a huge fan of tons of his work. not everything, but.. Watchmen obviously, League of extraordinary Gentlemen, his run on Wildcats was brilliant and maybe my personal favorite is Tom Strong.

and I have read in SO many places that lots of people consider his work on MM to be his best, even above Watchmen. but we could never get it cause of the rights and all that nonsense that was going on.

but now here it is... and I have read all 4 issues.

and I am severely disappointed. while its obviously well drawn (for the era and in a particular style that isn't my favorite) and clearly well written... I just didn't find anything new I haven't see before in some way.

now I understand that this series, being so old, has influenced lots of current works and that's why im seeing concepts that ive read before. I get that. but there just wasn't anything that gripped me as different and/or mindblowing. like Watchmen was the first time I read it, or some of the Swampthing work.

just..man...so disappointed. and the goddamn price on single issues, fucking $6 for the first and $5 for the others. I paid a ton of cash for something I didn't really care for...

anyone else feel this way?

rob

L Jamal
04-16-2014, 11:11 PM
I've read it before years ago.
It was groundbreaking at the time but that comes after the first four issues.
It was before Swamp Thing, before Watchmen, before Dark Knight Returns.

Aaron Walther
04-17-2014, 11:56 PM
Miracle Man has a bit of Citizen Kane Syndrome, as you recognized. It was so influential that practically the entire comic book industry has been cherry picking it's style for 30 years.

As compared to Moore's other works, it's definitely not as elegant as Watchmen or Swamp Thing. I haven't read the reprints so I don't know how much material is in the first 4 issues, but think the series builds to a very well constructed ending.

bob281
04-22-2014, 02:59 PM
This to me is Alan Moore's best story.Yes writers have stolen from it for years.But this is the original.The story still holds up and Marvel is doing a bang up job on the reprints and it is expensive like all Marvel comics.It's not over yet it's just the first arc of the story.Believe me the best is yet to come.I bought mines out of dollar bins back in the mid nineties.I never read all this good Warpsmith stuff their reprinting.It's a comic book classic finally being reprinted.I'm buying this and trades when they come out.Keep reading I think you will be impressed by the time it's over.On top of that I think Neil Gaiman is going to finally finish his great run on the book which was awesome in it's own right.Miracleman at times borders on poetry if your not into the poetry of it at times and copy you are definitely missing aspects of it.Comics writers now do not write like this.There is sparse dialog and many silent panels to convey action.Miracleman is about emotion It's far more emotional than Watchmen for sure.

scrappy
04-23-2014, 12:31 AM
i havent read this. i think i might as im a big moore fan. but not now. maybe in the future.

i did notice how the writer listed on the comic just says "original writer" instead of his name lol

L Jamal
04-23-2014, 08:46 AM
i did notice how the writer listed on the comic just says "original writer" instead of his name lol

that's because Alan Moore wanted nothing to do with the reprint or Marvel.

scrappy
04-24-2014, 07:55 AM
that's because Alan Moore wanted nothing to do with the reprint or Marvel.

I think that goes without saying. Just like his name never appears on any of the film adaptations of his work. I just thought it was funny.

SDulaney
04-28-2014, 01:30 AM
I second L Jamal. The first 4 issues, while amazing and ground breaking at the time, now stand more as "world building." I've not checked out the Marvel versions, but going by what I remember of the Eclipse run, the real fun kicks in as they split off from the WARRIOR reprints (I believe there were more Alan Davis MM stories that never were reprinted in the States) into new stuff that was produced directly for the 22 page format.

Capo
05-16-2014, 11:50 AM
It all kicks off in issue 15. Issue fifteen (of the orginal prints) is where you get to see what the hell the fuss is about. All the 'Authority' hyperviolence of the past twenty years seems to have come from there. But there's a lot of beauty from there on also.

Capo
05-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Also, check out Grant Morrison's Zenith. There's a lot less 'faffing about' before getting to the good stuff.