PDA

View Full Version : Layered Tiffs

Static
04-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Question? My client needs their final files in a layed tiff format. Is it as simple a exporting the file from Illustrator and selecting tiff from the drop down menu?

L Jamal
04-10-2014, 03:40 PM
No, that produces a flattened TIFF.
The only way I know is to paste the lettering unto the original files in Photoshop.

bramjm
04-10-2014, 04:17 PM
The only way I know is to paste the lettering unto the original files in Photoshop.

… and since we're on that topic, when I do that lately, the blacks don't come in as solid, 100% black. Set as 100% black in CMYK in AI, but PS won't see it as black, no matter the color mode.

I don't like to deliver layered raster art, but some clients just want it that way.

Am I missing something obvious?

Static
04-10-2014, 04:41 PM

Ugh is that the only way it gonna to take me hours to do that.

L Jamal
04-10-2014, 04:42 PM
The blacks from AI are 100%.
The blacks in Photoshop are usually rich black and therefore the difference becomes obvious.

bramjm
04-10-2014, 10:09 PM
The blacks from AI are 100%.
The blacks in Photoshop are usually rich black and therefore the difference becomes obvious.

Yeah, but pasting 100% black into PS doesn't yield a 100% solid (in grayscale) or rich (in RGB or CMYK). It's gray. Didn't used to happen before. I have a feeling there's a setting somewhere …

JimCampbell
04-11-2014, 07:38 AM
You can output layered PSDs from Illustrator and then re-save them as TIFFs from Photoshop to preserve the layers. The only thing you have to do is ensure that nothing in AI overprints, otherwise AI will merge the layer with overprints with any layer beneath it.

This will give you fully editable layered files with K100 black rather than rich black.

You can automate most of this process with AI and PS batch actions.

Cheers

Jim

JimCampbell
04-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Additional thought… if you still want your strokes to overprint, the only way to achieve that would be to hold your strokes on a separate layer in Illustrator (non-overprinting) with the white fills on their own layer above. When you open the exported .psd file in PS then you could set the stroke layer to Multiply, which has the exact same effect as overprinting.

I can't think of a way to automate that, and you should think about charging the client extra for the additional work —*it's their stupid, pointless workflow and there's no reason why you should have to add extra steps to the process for no compensation!

Cheers

Jim

superggraphics
04-13-2014, 10:45 PM
It's really quite simple as far as what to do... Just simply export your AI file as a Photoshop file, open it up in Photoshop, and all of your layers will be there... Never had any complaints to date and if they want them in a layered TIFF format I'd ask them why as that makes no sense... G

JimCampbell
04-14-2014, 04:49 AM
if they want them in a layered TIFF format I'd ask them why as that makes no sense...

It's possible that they don't want to be tied to the proprietary PSD format given that this would leave them at the mercy of Adobe's Creative Cloud scam.

Cheers

Jim