PDA

View Full Version : The Peanuts Movie

Bishop
03-18-2014, 02:52 PM
I can think of few comic strips less funny than Peanuts. However, I do find a certain charm in a lot of the older tv specials and some of the strips. I'm not sure how this will translate to film. I can, however, definitively state that I would rather see a Calvin and Hobbes movie, but that will likely never happen...

7e_UYw9DuQo

Duane Korslund
03-18-2014, 03:07 PM
heaven forbid they'd come out with something new and original...I have fond memories of peanuts though....so I wont be too cynical about it.

Co.Inkadink
03-19-2014, 07:41 PM
My kids and I love Peanuts. We have the complete peanuts books from 1950-1970 and many of the cartoons. This looks really respectful of the material so I'm in.

Bishop
03-19-2014, 08:10 PM
I have great nostalgic feelings about Peanuts, but I find the strips pretty boring when I read back over them now. Maybe I'm just too cynical. It's nowhere as bad as Ziggy or Kathy, though.

egypturnash
03-20-2014, 12:32 AM
I love the non-photorealistic look of it. It's like Mary Blair came in and painted over every drawing in one of the Peanuts specials. And then an obsessive assistant came in and painted EVERY BLADE OF GRASS.

Angel
03-20-2014, 06:46 AM
Scary

Co.Inkadink
03-20-2014, 08:27 AM
Scary

Booooo!

Newt
03-20-2014, 10:08 AM
I love Peanuts too, especially the 50s and 60s strips. I'm not going to get my hopes up about this movie, though. Without Schulz involved, I can't imagine it being good. That strip was very personal- without him it's nothing.

I don't know if you have the same experience I have, Bishop, but when I was a kid, Peanuts was already part of the cultural landscape, and I just took its tropes for granted. Once I'd started reading the older strips, I realized just how strange and heavy Peanuts was.

If you look at older 'kid' strips, the heroes are either out-of-control mischief makers (Katzenjammer Kids, Buster Brown) or plucky up-by-the-bootstraps types (Little Orphan Annie, Nancy), or rather bland audience-substitutes (Little Nemo in Slumberland). In any case, they're generally having adventures. External threats abound- bullies, criminals, monsters, etc.

Peanuts is different. Instead of the slums of New York, it's set in the suburbs of Middle America; the external environment is as safe and boring as can be. The conflict is all internal. It's totally psychologically driven, and it's actually pretty dark.

The first Peanuts strip:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z161/Newt1453/pe501002_zps232ef815.gif (http://s194.photobucket.com/user/Newt1453/media/pe501002_zps232ef815.gif.html)

A neighborhood where instead of lemonade, the most entrepeneurial kid sells psychiatric advice? Brilliant. The strip is laced with depression, neurosis, and existential dread. Maybe the most important theme is failure. Charlie Brown never wins. Never. He keeps trying- and I think that's the theme most people would extract from it- but it doesn't matter. He fails anyway. He'll always fail. It's a deeply pessimistic strip.

The animated specials are different; audiences would hate to root for Charlie Brown for 90 minutes and then watch him lose anyway. Pessimism is only funny in small doses.

Duane Korslund
03-20-2014, 11:17 AM
And also....The Great Pumpkin!