PDA

View Full Version : The Flash TV series: Grant Gustin's costume revealed

Co.Inkadink
03-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Not Terrible. (http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s206/arrow/news/a554760/the-flash-tv-series-grant-gustins-costume-revealed.html)

http://i2.cdnds.net/14/09/618x413/ustv-arrow-grant-gustin-the-flash-costume.jpg

John Wesley Shipp, who starred in the 1990s series as Barry Allen, is returning in a mystery role?

Jay Garrick?

Angel
03-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Too dark...looks boring.

Co.Inkadink
03-05-2014, 12:14 AM
Too dark...looks boring.

You know what I'm liking though? TV is starting to use the superhero costume again. This looks like Nu52 but at least he's gonna be wearing a true costume.

Duane Korslund
03-05-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure how to feel about this yet....need time to process....I remember the 90's flash tv series....at the time I thought it was very cool!

Slang Strong
03-05-2014, 02:24 PM
You know what I'm liking though? TV is starting to use the superhero costume again. This looks like Nu52 but at least he's gonna be wearing a true costume.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw this, I couldn't believe how close this costume was to the New 52 Flash. Given the WB's track record I never would have guessed the costume would be so close to the comic version so I'm right there with you.

Angel
03-05-2014, 08:33 PM
Yeah using an actual costume is a step in the right direction, way better than trying to dress him in jeans and a red t-shirt and hoodie, or some red tactical motor cross style.

dx
03-05-2014, 09:26 PM
I still can't figure out how they can make successful tv shows but their movies mostly suck.

Co.Inkadink
03-06-2014, 01:07 AM
I still can't figure out how they can make successful tv shows but their movies mostly suck.

I think it's because episodic TV like comics can build characters better than a 2 hr movie. The Avengers worked so well because it had several movies spotlighting the characters on their own. If you have to introduce all the cast in one movie it bogs down with origins and takes time to get to the actual movie plot. A TV show can take their time and set things up for a nice payoff.

If you have good writers that is.

dx
03-06-2014, 01:30 AM
I think it's because episodic TV like comics can build characters better than a 2 hr movie. The Avengers worked so well because it had several movies spotlighting the characters on their own. If you have to introduce all the cast in one movie it bogs down with origins and takes time to get to the actual movie plot. A TV show can take their time and set things up for a nice payoff.

If you have good writers that is.

Yeah.....but if you go back to Superman Returns, that's eight years or Batman returns, 9 years ago. DC/WB has had plenty of time to get things in motion but their upper brass continually makes shitty decisions when it comes to Film.

They simply lucked out with Nolan and Batman Begins, because his 3rd installment suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Slang Strong
03-06-2014, 12:10 PM
There are just as many shows that miss too though. For instance, I actually like Arrow a lot but at the same time it's frustrating sometimes to watch. You'll never forget that Arrow is on The WB.

jeffo46
03-07-2014, 07:32 AM
At first I didn't care for Arrow at all, but with this season, the show has really become a must see for me. Sure it takes some liberties but, I love how they're incorporating villains from the DC universe into the show and next weeks episode is going to have the Suicide Squad on the hunt for Deathstroke ? That is going to be just awesome. As far as this new Flash series is concerned , I just hope they don't make him a figure of the night like CBS did with that horrible series from 1990. I heard that John Wesley Shipp is going to be on it ? Maybe he'll be Jay Garrick ? That would be cool.

Duane Korslund
03-07-2014, 09:59 AM
At first I didn't care for Arrow at all, but with this season, the show has really become a must see for me. Sure it takes some liberties but, I love how they're incorporating villains from the DC universe into the show and next weeks episode is going to have the Suicide Squad on the hunt for Deathstroke ? That is going to be just awesome. As far as this new Flash series is concerned , I just hope they don't make him a figure of the night like CBS did with that horrible series from 1990. I heard that John Wesley Shipp is going to be on it ? Maybe he'll be Jay Garrick ? That would be cool.

Or Reverse Flash....that'd be weird....

Slang Strong
03-07-2014, 01:11 PM

Yep, exactly. I really like Arrow there are just some things that are annoying about it from time to time but overall this season is really good.

Moonrider
03-12-2014, 02:37 AM
Or Reverse Flash....that'd be weird....

I think they have already cast a Thawne. Don't know about Hunter Zolomon, though.

Moonrider
03-12-2014, 03:46 AM
Some pics from the set.
http://www.justjaredjr.com/2014/03/12/grant-gustin-films-scenes-in-the-flash-costume-first-look/

Seeing it this clearly, the design does look kind of uncomfortable for a speedster to wear. I would have thought of a more practical design, kind of like the suits that track runners wear in the Olympics.

Slang Strong
03-12-2014, 11:20 AM
What surprises me is that it's actually similar to the New 52 Flash's uniform. What's more surprising to me is that The WB is actually choosing to go full costume given their track record with Smallville and Arrow. I like it.

Jason Powell
03-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Seeing the mask I was okay but after seeing the costume, wow... It is sad that the 1990s version still looks the best to date.

-Jason

Eliseu Gouveia
03-12-2014, 03:15 PM
The costume doesn't look half as bad as I feared - mask looks sweet, actually-, but running in that leathery material is bound to become unpleasant.
And - I suspect- smelly.

Whatever, I'm still just giddy (and nervously optimistic) at the notion that there is going to be a FLASH tv series.

Moonrider
03-12-2014, 09:23 PM
running in that leathery material is bound to become unpleasant.
And - I suspect- smelly.

That's what I thought as well :laugh:
The leathery stuff works well on Arrow because he goes out at night, riding motorcycles and whatever. It's also a practical suit that he can put on by himself, whereas The Flash needs flexibility, zero friction and comfort more than anything else. Unless it's comic-book-science synthetic leather or made from an alien cattle-like animal of unspecified species, Barry Allen would have nasty rashes all over his crotch area.

But as Slang said, at least he's wearing a costume. It's definitely an improvement from Smallville.

Slang Strong
03-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Unless it's comic-book-science synthetic leather or made from an alien cattle-like animal of unspecified species, Barry Allen would have nasty rashes all over his crotch area.

Well, there may actually be more to the costume than we currently know. Remember (if you watch Arrow) that Barry Allen was the one who gave Arrow HIS specially designed mask when he had his guest stint on the show. So I would expect that he'd put the same amount of thought and care into his own costume.

dx
03-14-2014, 04:00 AM
Unless it's comic-book-science synthetic leather or made from an alien cattle-like animal of unspecified species, Barry Allen would have nasty rashes all over his crotch area.

This explains a lot...thanks...no need to see the doctor now.

dx
03-14-2014, 04:02 AM
http://cdn04.cdn.justjaredjr.com/wp-content/uploads/pictures/2014/03/grant-costume/grant-gustin-filming-the-flash-costume-first-look-06.jpg

Justice41
03-14-2014, 11:32 AM
He looks like he's sweating. The pleather looks all water stained. Looks alright though only thing is the way stuff bunches up around the waistline.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/e032c931e3279e7a46852bd29e155816/tumblr_n2ci5sPisR1qck0h4o1_250.gif

dx
03-14-2014, 02:26 PM
I can actually see the point in incorporating padding and leather for certain spots for the same reason Bikers do....to protect the skin from abrasions when they lay down a bike. I can see Flash causing all kinds personal damage if he were to fall while running at super speeds.

But full on leather pants, does not make sense.

ponyrl
03-14-2014, 06:05 PM
http://stresslines.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/shipp.jpg

THIS, is The Flash. That guy, needs to eat more. :D

Co.Inkadink
03-14-2014, 06:33 PM
Visually it looks OK but as usual the costume isn't practical. The people who make these shows don't think it through. This actor is going to be hospitalized for heat exhaustion after a few episodes. Peter Weller lost three pounds a day due to sweat loss while wearing the RoboCop suit making that movie and they only filmed for 2 months. This guy is gonna look like he's from Auschwitz by the time the first season is over.

Moonrider
03-16-2014, 04:12 AM
http://stresslines.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/shipp.jpg

Funny thing is, those are actually fake muscles and airbrushed shades. But the idea that he's wearing a fabric originally developed for Russian deep sea divers and cosmonauts is plausible enough.

Justice41
03-16-2014, 01:20 PM
http://foodnetworkhumor.com/img/guy-fieri-flasher-costume.jpg

jeffo46
03-16-2014, 06:55 PM
I don't like it. The outfit should be a bright crimson red and not leather. Where are the Yellow boots and the lightening bolt that should be around his waist and arms ? Nope, Hollywood fucked up on this one. It looks like Daredevil lite. And that's not a compliment either .

Nitecrawlah2
03-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Maybe over the course of the series he continually works on his suit, updating it to an eventually perfect suit. I actually like it, and dig the New 52 look, but would agree with others regarding the color and bunching up.

ponyrl
03-16-2014, 07:32 PM

NICE! BWHAHAHAHAHAHA! :laugh: