PDA

View Full Version : Digital Hand Lettering

DaveyDouble
01-22-2014, 02:04 PM
So, I've literally just finished trying my hand (arf arf) at digital hand lettering in Sketchbook Pro over some of my pencil work.

I. Love. It.

The reason I had a go at it was because I'm working on a tablet PC now. No keyboard, no mouse, so digital lettering is a massive pain, or means switching to a different system.
Well, I usually rough in balloons and dialogue when I'm pencilling anyway and it was nice and easy so I thought "Why not?"

I'm not saying I'm a master or anything. I've literally done about 45 minutes figuring it out but I really like it.
Balloons and caption boxes are easy to create, and with the Steady Stroke tool, tails are a breeze too (I was never happy with the tails I could create in Illustrator).

I'll post a sample later (the battery on my tablet just died!) but I can for see certain 'voices' being difficult (robots mainly I think, I'd like to keep robot voices looking clinical) and the associated 'radio' balloons. Still good fun though!

DaveyDouble
01-22-2014, 05:06 PM
http://www.crashedmedia.com/images/digitalhandwrittensample.png

There's a quick sample I just did! How's it looking?

paul brian deberry
01-22-2014, 08:47 PM
It's awesome. I love it. Should have never sold my mini Wacom. :(

Making balloons are great, too.

JimCampbell
01-23-2014, 01:59 PM
I'll confess, this is something I keep meaning to have a meaningful stab at, if only for my own amusement. Early attempts haven't been completely terrible!

Cheers

Jim

DaveyDouble
01-23-2014, 05:13 PM
Hey Jim,

It's a bit of a switch I guess. It was the same for me moving from pencils to a tablet PC. Bit before you know it, its totally natural.

I've done a couple more hours today lettering about 10 pages of the Kickstarter I'm working on and I'm really enjoying it, much more rewarding than just doing it via keyboard and mouse. Just felt more involved.
I changed the angle of the brush today and it turned out a lot better.

I'm still dreading doing some 'inorganic' SFX and voices, but doing 'ragged paper' narration boxes made me feel a bit better.