PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed Characters in Episode VII

Duane Korslund
01-17-2014, 02:32 PM
The first confirmed character in Star Wars Episode VII...ready......

R2D2....

That is all....

(of course the kid who plays Todd from Breaking Bad auditioned for a role, and is said to be in contention for it....Ben Skywalker? And they've got Mark Hammil doing sit ups in the gym...and probably a industrial strength liposuction machine for Carrie Fisher.)

omega sentry
04-20-2014, 04:31 PM
fallowed by 3PO was there any doubt, come on. lol

Slang Strong
04-21-2014, 10:20 AM
The rumor that Adam Driver from "Girls" is up for a villain role seems to persist as well. He could be really good but it's hard to say knowing absolutely nothing about the character.

Duane Korslund
04-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Yeah, they're very tight lipped about everything.
I'm a little bummed that Chewbacca/Peter Mayhew is rumored to be in it. I was hoping they'd keep expanded universe continuity in tact and since Chewbacca is dead in the expanded universe, its looking very unlikely. Unless its a flashback...sort of an overview of what's happened over the last 40 years of continuity....that'd be ok.

cheeseisgood1918
04-21-2014, 10:39 AM
Chewie actually dies very early on in the EU novels. I think it's right at the beginning of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, which are the stories I hope they do, so you may actually watch Chewie die in the first film.

Duane Korslund
04-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Yeah, a moon crashes down on him...great death scene IMO...
My guess is that they're going to begin the film at the current point in SW continuity (IF they go the EU route), which is 40+ years after the battle of Yavin, so Chewies death would be a flashback. Probably some sort of Montage of past events to get the viewer caught up on EU continuity and ready for the story to come. I think they've decided to stop doing EU novels in lieu of the new films.
Or so I hope/believe.

Bishop
04-21-2014, 11:14 AM
I've not read a lot of the novels beyond Heir to the Empire and Jedi Academy. Both series were really good, IMO. I have also read Death Troopers which was fun, but it really seemed more like fan fiction that canon to me.

I am really hopeful that Abrams can bring the magic back to this franchise. I've been disenchanted with SW ever since Episode 1 helped me realize what a diva Lucas is.

Duane Korslund
04-21-2014, 11:33 AM
I've not read a lot of the novels beyond Heir to the Empire and Jedi Academy. Both series were really good, IMO. I have also read Death Troopers which was fun, but it really seemed more like fan fiction that canon to me.

I am really hopeful that Abrams can bring the magic back to this franchise. I've been disenchanted with SW ever since Episode 1 helped me realize what a diva Lucas is.

Yeah, Episode 1 really screwed up Star Wars badly...I still remember walking out of the Theater in numb shock of how terrible it was.Episode 3 helped ease the pain a little bit, but by that point too much damage had been done...something big needs to happen here or it will be time to let the franchise die.
If anyone can do it, J.J probably can. He helped bring forth a partial revitalization of the Star Trek franchise. I'm not a huge fan of the fork in the timeline, and I do miss the 24th century people, but I understand how it was necessary....

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
04-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Yeah, Episode 1 really screwed up Star Wars badly...I still remember walking out of the Theater in numb shock of how terrible it was.Episode 3 helped ease the pain a little bit, but by that point too much damage had been done...something big needs to happen here or it will be time to let the franchise die.
If anyone can do it, J.J probably can. He helped bring forth a partial revitalization of the Star Trek franchise. I'm not a huge fan of the fork in the timeline, and I do miss the 24th century people, but I understand how it was necessary....

Agree completely. And glad I'm not the only one who sort of enjoyed episode three... :happy:

Duane Korslund
04-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Agree completely. And glad I'm not the only one who sort of enjoyed episode three... :happy:

It was almost Wizard :whistlin:

Buckyrig
04-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Uh...I'm not that informed about the EU overall, but it's pretty extensive, no? Seems like the kind of thing they will have to ignore if they want any room to do...anything at all.

Frankly, I hate EU integration with any property. I don't tend to follow something off its main artery. So when I come in and there's a whole bunch of references to some shit that happened in a comic book or online video or some shit that I haven't read/watched, I start to get annoyed. (Even the little bit that carried over from the Clone Wars animated shorts to Episode III put me off.)

Crossoevers in comics are bad enough.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
04-21-2014, 01:29 PM
It was almost Wizard :whistlin:

Lol! this is horrible day thank you for making me laugh!

Rob Norton
04-21-2014, 02:18 PM
this may be old news to some, but in the discussion of how bad the prequels are.... I always like to direct people attentions to..

this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FxKtZmQgxrI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

he perfectly sums up what is wrong with these movies...

rob

Rob Norton
04-21-2014, 02:41 PM

these guys talk about your point here...about how it was kinda necessary. and its funny and informative..

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-trek/star-trek-09/

rob

Duane Korslund
04-21-2014, 03:53 PM
this may be old news to some, but in the discussion of how bad the prequels are.... I always like to direct people attentions to..

this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FxKtZmQgxrI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

he perfectly sums up what is wrong with these movies...

rob

I watched all 7 of these...and it is dead on....I especially loved the part where Lucas of the 70's went on to explain that special effects were there to enhance the story, not just for the sake of being there...I think if by some chance 70's Lucas had somehow traveled through time and come face to face with prequel Lucas, he would have not hesitated to shoot prequel Lucas right in the face for what he had done to Star Wars and the betrayal of all conceptions of good, cinematic story telling.

Evan Henry
04-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Uh...I'm not that informed about the EU overall, but it's pretty extensive, no? Seems like the kind of thing they will have to ignore if they want any room to do...anything at all.

^This.

My guess, the EU is treated as a rough guideline for character development since ROTJ -- Luke is head of a new Jedi Council, Han and Leia probably have kids, maybe even twins, Leia (and Mon Mothma) are probably involved in the oh-so-exciting CSPAN parts of the New Republic, etc.

I expect no Mara Jade. Luke getting married is one of Lucas' least favorite aspects of the EU. If you look at it in the context of the prequels, though, it almost makes for a coherent story arc: the Jedi Order learning that strict nonattachment doesn't work (because Vader), and Luke rebuilding the Jedi with a more reasonable attitude toward family.

Fun fact: Chewie died in the NJO books because Lucasfilm sent Del Rey a list of characters they couldn't kill off, and he was the most significant character not on the list.

Right above Bib Fortuna. :laugh:

Imboden
04-22-2014, 12:21 PM

Frankly, I hate EU integration with any property. I don't tend to follow something off its main artery. So when I come in and there's a whole bunch of references to some shit that happened in a comic book or online video or some shit that I haven't read/watched, I start to get annoyed. (Even the little bit that carried over from the Clone Wars animated shorts to Episode III put me off.)

Crossoevers in comics are bad enough.

Glad I'm not alone. I like that stuff to remain separate. It can mention stuff from the MAIN story (the movies in this case) but it shouldn't be the other way around.

Slang Strong
04-22-2014, 12:38 PM
So this is interesting, from "The Hollywood Reporter" yesterday. They interviewed Simon Kinberg who will be doing what everyone assumes to be the Boba Fett movie. He basically confirms that they're going to ignore the EU altogether.

"Asked if the new movies would look to the Expanded Universe of Star Wars comic books, movies and video games for inspiration, Kinberg said that “You know, it’s not off-limits, and it’s certainly inspiring — I’m working on an animated show for [Lucasfilm] as well, Star Wars: Rebels, that will take inspiration from everywhere, but — I know for the movies, the canon is the canon, and the canon is the six films that exist.”

Duane Korslund
04-22-2014, 12:47 PM
So this is interesting, from "The Hollywood Reporter" yesterday. They interviewed Simon Kinberg who will be doing what everyone assumes to be the Boba Fett movie. He basically confirms that they're going to ignore the EU altogether.

"Asked if the new movies would look to the Expanded Universe of Star Wars comic books, movies and video games for inspiration, Kinberg said that “You know, it’s not off-limits, and it’s certainly inspiring — I’m working on an animated show for [Lucasfilm] as well, Star Wars: Rebels, that will take inspiration from everywhere, but — I know for the movies, the canon is the canon, and the canon is the six films that exist.”

If they ignore the EU, I'm probably going to hate these movies...I know its not the popular opinion, but I've always loved the EU and I always believed that if done properly canon lore can transcend only one media type...oh well...I'm sure I'll see them to see them, but it'll probably be empty for me.

omega sentry
04-22-2014, 04:31 PM
Yeah, they're very tight lipped about everything.
I'm a little bummed that Chewbacca/Peter Mayhew is rumored to be in it. I was hoping they'd keep expanded universe continuity in tact and since Chewbacca is dead in the expanded universe, its looking very unlikely. Unless its a flashback...sort of an overview of what's happened over the last 40 years of continuity....that'd be ok.

As if that couldn't be fixed easy......I thought of a plot to use on the EU so that they could bring back chewie. But I never really did anything for it so I just put it out there in hopes some one would rip it off.

Because in the end I didn't feel that they should have killed chewie....if he was to die he should have died a hero in the movies. Not as a plot twist to strain and put drama on the solo family. The way they plaid it out wasn't to heroic.

Anyways, it's plausible but probably not to peoples liking:

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/062/4/c/starwars_chubbaca_is_alive__by_omega_sentry2-d78sn7r.jpg

I don't fallow the star wars nerd guideline, I love starwars I grew up with it, it's probably one of my favorite things of all time.

But the original star wars has as much flaws as the prequels. Episode one was my least favorite but it delivers to whom it was intended. while I always argue that even if the rebels had won with the help of the Ewoks against the best garrisons the empire could offer. :(:sure::huh:

The real victory was due to the fact that luke brought back his father and killed the emperor. Had they not killed him that victory would have meant nothing.

kids love Jar jar no matter how the grown up generations despises him.

In my Opinion Episode one should have been episode 2 with minor changes.
I liked Episode 2 and loved episode 3. While episode 3 should have been Iconic Vader oriented.

Every one seems to have issues with Anikin, mainly because he is an adolescent tantrum driven child with the power of a god. When he should be a mature person because he has the guidance of wise people.

So people don't see or believe the rule. I think this is mainly because people temp not to look at their own faults or that they can behave in such manner.
Specially a movie written person. Now To me having witness kids grow up in the same manner such as anikin and behaving in the same manner actually let me believe in that, that could happen.

My brother for example had a silver spoon all his live, he was taught by very good teachers and had pretty good advice when it came from my mother and his siblings. Never experience being poor. Yet he behaved in the same manner that anikin behaves in the movies at around the same age. You would think good, up bringing and teacher would make you be a mature person but in the end is choice, will, mix massages from experiences and naiveté that drive people to how they behave.

Anyways it's probably something you don't want to see from such an iconic bad guy you love to love.....so every one rejected it.

in conclusion the prequels are no better than the original so they can all just coexist in their inconsistency.

This is why my list goes.

Empire as my favorite
revenge as my 2nd runner up
Jedi because nostalgia and Jabba the hutt.
starwars because in the end it always stans alone
attack of the clones because it was interesting development
and 1 because it is there....

Evan Henry
04-22-2014, 07:57 PM
If they ignore the EU, I'm probably going to hate these movies...I know its not the popular opinion, but I've always loved the EU and I always believed that if done properly canon lore can transcend only one media type...oh well...I'm sure I'll see them to see them, but it'll probably be empty for me.

I agree with you in principle, but I think the problem is that the EU was essentially a marketing gimmick from the beginning, with little attention paid to continuity until pretty late in the game... Like Timothy Zahn late.

My favorite corner of the Star Wars EU, Ann Crispin's Han Solo trilogy, contradicts the other books and the prequels left and right. I think some great stories have been told, but very few of them can be integrated into a coherent whole while still leaving creative room for the filmmakers.

Star Trek has the same problem just because of the sheer combined running time of the TV shows, not even taking novels into account. Abrams had pretty much no choice but to reboot.

dx
04-22-2014, 09:37 PM
... but — I know for the movies, the canon is the canon, and the canon is the six films that exist.”

Well, the prequels didn't exactly follow the cannon of the original 3 and we got 3 new craptastic Star War films.

20 plus years of waiting...and we got Jar Jar.

Slang Strong
04-23-2014, 12:17 PM
The thing is, as interesting as the Yuuzhan Vong saga was, I can't see that being the final trilogy. If they wanted to make another series of movies to attack that I think it would be amazing. And Disney has made it clear that they plan to release a Star Wars movie what, once a year? The final trilogy has to be a completely original story. Even though GL was never high on the EU, if it weren't for the EU there would be no Coruscant. Coruscant was created by Zahn but it's now literally the center of the Star Wars universe so you never know what they're going to incorporate.

Duane Korslund
04-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Oh, I'm not saying to incorporate everything that has happened in the last 40 years of continuity....or at least not COVER it in the movie...who cares about the Killiks...or Abeloth...
Like I said...Montage over a lot of it....briefly highlight on the important stuff...

Jacen, Jaina, Anakin jr, and what happens to them...Ben, Mara, brief touches on things like the Yuzan Vong war...Grand Admiral Thrawn, Darth Cadeus (ha...), maybe a 15 minute montage of crazy action covering that kind of stuff...then swoop into the main action of the movie at the current point in time. I've seen bigger wastes of time in Star Wars movies (cough...30 minute pod race...cough..)

Buckyrig
04-23-2014, 01:13 PM
Did Zahn create Coruscant, or was he just the writer to first use Coruscant in a story?

In any case, Thrawn is a good example of why the EU should be separate. Thrawn is a great villain for a prose work, but wouldn't work as well in a movie. It was a brilliant move to create a villain to fit the medium rather than try to do a cinematic villain...as Vader is.

Take that over and over again, and all the little bits here and there introduced into novels, comic books, video games, and animated pieces . . . and you end up with a hodge podge of things that don't really belong in a movie.

Hell, look back at General Grievous. Not a bad idea for the animated shorts. Idiotic in the movie.

Slang Strong
04-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Oh, I'm not saying to incorporate everything that has happened in the last 40 years of continuity....or at least not COVER it in the movie...who cares about the Killiks...or Abeloth...
Like I said...Montage over a lot of it....briefly highlight on the important stuff...

Got it, and just looking at the timeline now the Yuuzhan Vong War was 25-29 ABY so technically that could fit within the timeframe between trilogies. You know what I think would actually be an awesome way to tackle the Yuuzhan Vong in particular? If they did an animated series like the newer Clone Wars series. I was surprised at how good it was. But if they ignore the EU entirely then I don't see that happening, and I believe they will just end up ignoring it altogether.

Did Zahn create Coruscant, or was he just the writer to first use Coruscant in a story?

He created it, there was no mention of Coruscant until "Heir to the Empire". Unless you're asking if someone else like GL gave him the idea to use it, I'm not sure. As far as I know Zahn created Coruscant.

Duane Korslund
04-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Got it, and just looking at the timeline now the Yuuzhan Vong War was 25-29 ABY so technically that could fit within the timeframe between trilogies. You know what I think would actually be an awesome way to tackle the Yuuzhan Vong in particular? If they did an animated series like the newer Clone Wars series. I was surprised at how good it was. But if they ignore the EU entirely then I don't see that happening, and I believe they will just end up ignoring it altogether.

I agree 100%. If they did took the EU and started filling in gaps between ROTJ and Episode VII, in animated or CGI form, I'd go apeshit!
I started 3d modeling characters for my own version of Truce at Bakura long ago, but of course one man modeling and animating an entire novel adaptation would take eleventy billion years and we all know its hell creating a collaborative team without the funding to pay people.

Slang Strong
04-23-2014, 02:35 PM
Totally, and that's what they're doing with their upcoming "Rebels" animated series bridging the gap between ROTS and ANH, but given the next trilogy coming out I'd much rather see something leading up to episodes 7, 8, and 9.

I'm really curious to see what other movies Disney comes out with though, considering their one movie a year plan. I don't think it's officially been announced yet but I think they're doing Han Solo and Boba Fett movies first? The whole Boba Fett is a clone thing kind of killed it for me but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing a young Han.

Duane Korslund
04-23-2014, 02:39 PM
I could swear I remember hearing them confirm they were doing a Yoda movie of some sort, but that just may be my imagination.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
04-23-2014, 03:04 PM

Jacen, Jaina, Anakin jr, and what happens to them...Ben, Mara, brief touches on things like the Yuzan Vong war...Grand Admiral Thrawn, Darth Cadeus (ha...), maybe a 15 minute montage of crazy action covering that kind of stuff...then swoop into the main action of the movie at the current point in time. I've seen bigger wastes of time in Star Wars movies (cough...30 minute pod race...cough..)

Good grief yes. Bloody long, that podrace was.

Slang Strong
04-23-2014, 06:39 PM
I could swear I remember hearing them confirm they were doing a Yoda movie of some sort, but that just may be my imagination.

Yoda was the first one that was rumored, then Entertainment Weekly ran the story that they had a source confirm that it was going to be Han Solo and Boba Fett initially. So Disney never actually announced it but EW ran with it saying they had very solid sources and this was right after Disney announced stand alone movies.

When it comes to Yoda it's tricky because how much do you want to know about him? Do you want to learn all about his home planet and how he became a Jedi? On the one hand I kind of don't want to know because if they botch it like they did with Boba Fett I'd much rather them just keep it a mystery unless they've got some really good ideas.

Slang Strong
04-25-2014, 11:38 PM
I just saw this announcement on StarWars.com today, this is exactly what we were wondering...

In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe. While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels. The Inquisitor, the Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems are story elements in the new animated series, and all these ideas find their origins in roleplaying game material published in the 1980s.