PDA

View Full Version : My first digital inking!

JOinks
01-08-2014, 01:02 AM
Let me know what you guys think!

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/006/5/9/red_lantern_hulk_inks_by_josh_oakes-d7148qv.jpg

DaveyDouble
01-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Nice work dude.

There's some areas where the black hasn't filled in properly. I'm guessing from using a fill bucket. Easiest way I've found to avoid it is to keep the angles inside whatever shape you'll be filling from being acute. when I do it I just curve those interior angles and the fill tool then covers the area without leaving any missed white areas.

You 've also got the dreaded 'halo' from using a slightly soft edged brush to do the line work and then filling straight into it. Are you in Photoshop? It'll be because the fill doesn't want to go over the grey boundary created by a soft brush, instead stocking to the white/clear area you instructed it to fill.
Again, I usually do the line work and then go back with a harder edge to make those lines thicker on the inside of the shape. Fill that and you're fine as there's no soft halo anymore.

Nice work.

JOinks
01-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Yea what happened was, I used Manga Studio 5, and I wasn't too keen on how it worked. I figured out the bucket tool settings 3/4 of the way through. Turns out there's a setting that allows you to fill to the darkest pixel which in this case is black lol. Before I did that you could see little white edges around black areas and x's. But now I know how it works so the next one will not have any of that. :D