PDA

View Full Version : 2013 in review

nimprod
12-27-2013, 01:35 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1491655_333328576810440_1204409702_n.jpg

2013 was a great year for me and coloring Comics, and im expecting a 2014 with higher ventures!!!

MBirkhofer
12-28-2013, 12:21 PM
neat idea. resolution is a bit low.

I also feel you might be doing yourself, and most professionals a disservice with that rate.

Jasen Smith
12-28-2013, 04:34 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

nimprod
12-29-2013, 01:13 PM
i see, what you wguys think would be better? $45 usd?

MBirkhofer
12-29-2013, 04:54 PM
I'll give you the evasive answer of. as much as you can.

There is no set rate among anyone. The time, work, skill, and notoriety, I put into a page, will not be the same as you, or Jasen, or John Rauch, or Dave Stewart, etc does.

Any entertainment media will have name branding as part of the value of your work.
As an unknown, yes your name will not add sales. Notoriety will increase sales at some point and have a value above and beyond simply time/work.

How much time do you spend on a page? even this isn't exactly perfect. I certainly have been paid $40 for pages that take me like 2 days... and $100 for other pages I do in 3 hours.

I doubt $35/page is a living wage.
Rates are of course however, a factor of taking what you can get. you can ASK for 75-100 all you want, but the amount of indies out there willing to pay that of course, is rare. and you will spend alot of time with no work at all, asking a rate no one wants to pay.
This is the part where such silly low rates is a disservice to others. Ask a reasonable rate, and get undercut by some newbie asking 35/page. An indie producer may not be able to even judge accurately the skill of any given colorist, and then just end up hiring the lowest cost one.
This is not good for anyone. And also one of the reasons fostering NAME recognition is so important. you are less likely to be judged on skill by someone who isnt really qualified to judge your skill, they simply know you by name.

Also by saying starting at 35, everyone assumes 35. and then trys talking you down from there.
Ask a salesmen, they never start out with the low figure. Say, starting at 75 or something, and THEN drop down to 50 or whatever, if you feel the project is worth your time. Fill in numbers as you see fit.

I'll give out some of my rates.
Hi*Fi is typically 50/page for standard comic work. I am personally slow as hell, so that is only like 1page/day. Although occasionally, up to 3 or 4.
This also has the advantage of being stable constant work. Hi*Fi working as an agent. I never have to go looking for work with them. Saves so much time and effort. Also, all pages are preflatted. Saves me the cost of a flatter.

First big job, I was paid 50 euro/page, iirc.
Typically ask 75 now. and have enough work, that I would not consider anything less. I did average 50/job for a while though. and occasionally I think 40 when I needed something/was doing a favor.

I pay my flatters 12/page now. lower then I would like honestly.

John Rauch does like 4 pages/day AND gets paid like 125 or so iirc. Rates may not be entirely accurate and/or have changed.

Afro
12-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Yeah, that's a low rate. But as someone that has an indy comic. I may start off with that rate, but it would also allow me to take a chance on you to see if you can finish a whole book. Usually the artists i work with are really talented, but take forever especially if there are corrections to be made. I've done 45 but wouldn't go no further than 60, mainly because the book could never afford to be printed cause there was no budget.
So maybe charge this for a first timer, and do a few pages that way you could get good referrals and more work allowing you to charge or negotiate for more. I can't really make out those samples though.

Good luck