PDA

View Full Version : Franchises that Marvel/Disney has bought back

Newt
12-05-2013, 10:34 AM
This is apparently old news (http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/12/04/how-marvel-should-reboot-these-4-movie-franchises.aspx), but I was unaware that Marvel once again owns the film rights to Daredevil, Punisher, Ghost Rider, and Blade. This gives them some more options with regards to the Avengers-centered universe they are building.

I think Punisher in particular would be an interesting addition to the Avengers universe, as he's so different from the other heroes; he's not super-powered, he's neither an idealist like Cap and Iron Man nor a wild card like Hulk, and he doesn't work for the government.

The X-Men and Spiderman films are the only Marvel films made by non-Marvel studios that are worth a damn. I don't know if it would actually be beneficial for Marvel to take those properties back from Fox and Sony, but it would be nice if the studios could coordinate their efforts. It seems like the various studios would all benefit from allowing crossovers. If Wolverine and Iron Man made cameos in a Spiderman movie it would blow fanboy minds and rake in lots of additional ticket sales. But I guess the legal issues and inter-studio rivalries are too tangled.

Justice41
12-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Marvel is planning on doing a universe with retro heroes like Luke Cage and Iron Fist for Netflix. Punny and DD would fit perfectly in that retro stuff.

Newt
12-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Seriously? That's awesome. I'd watch a Powerman/Iron Fist show.

Bishop
12-05-2013, 10:48 AM

Apparently, they are starting with Daredevil, Iron First, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones. Then they will have a Defenders series incorporating the characters introduced in those series.

Reference (http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report-marvel-teams-up-with-netflix-announces-daredevil-luke-cage-jessica-jones-and-iron-fist-live-action-tv-shows-1918503)

Newt
12-05-2013, 10:58 AM
The Defenders ain't the Defenders without Doc Strange and the Sub-Mariner. I thought the whole point was that they were a team of quarrelsome misfits, not a second-class Avengers. Cage, DD, Iron Fist are all pretty straightforward hero types. I haven't read anything with Jessica Jones in it.

Justice41
12-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Think Strange and Subby are still at Fox/Sony/Universal.

Bishop
12-05-2013, 12:16 PM
I'd like to see Marvel get FF, XMen, and Spidey back. I believe Fox has rights to all of Marvel's 'mutants', which is why they also have the XForce movie in development.

I liked First Class and Amazing Spider Man, but Marvel has proven that they know how to treat their properties better than any of these other studios. I'd love to see them create an XMen series that is truer to its roots.

Angel
12-05-2013, 02:56 PM

They should make the "Power man/Iron Fist Variety Hour"!

Newt
12-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Only if Bob Mackie designs their costumes. :w00t: