PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Spider Man 2

Bishop
12-05-2013, 10:16 AM
I liked the first one. It wasn't perfect, but I felt they captured the essence of the character better than the Raimi movies. This trailer looks pretty great to me too...

nbp3Ra3Yp74

Duane Korslund
12-05-2013, 10:40 AM
doesnt look too bad....Dunno if its a good thing that they're going with the multiple villain format....didnt work out too well for Spiderman 3.

Newt
12-05-2013, 10:42 AM
That does look good! The Lizard wasn't much of a villain in the first one. It looks like Electro will be a bit more of a real threat. Plus Rhino! You can't go wrong with Rhino.

Too bad about Harry Osborne's emo hair. Corrugated forever!

Angel
12-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Was that supposed to be Green Goblin or Odd from Code Lyoko?

Co.Inkadink
12-05-2013, 08:33 PM
It looks good!

Moonrider
12-05-2013, 08:44 PM
When Peter opened that hidden lab beneath the subway station(?), I was hoping to learn that Richard Parker went into hiding to create Leopardon.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gfGtGdgPKLw/ScItmLprqII/AAAAAAAAAXo/id7-eifzXnM/s400/Japanese+Spiderman+-+Magazine.jpg

Khuth
12-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Vulture's wings, Doc Ock's arm... bring on the Sinister Six.

Bishop
12-06-2013, 12:09 AM
Vulture's wings, Doc Ock's arm... bring on the Sinister Six.

I think that is where this is headed.

dx
12-07-2013, 01:18 PM
3 villains is never enough.

Co.Inkadink
12-07-2013, 03:43 PM
This one looks really fantastic! I'm not crazy about the parents deal but it seems they're tying the storylines together in a cool way. I love this costume! Best version yet! It looks like Doc Ock walking down that hall and Norman Osbourne in the sick bed scene. Maybe in this world Oscorp is responsible for all the super baddies. One thing missing again though. No J.J. Jameson?

Moonrider
12-08-2013, 10:11 PM
At least we know Daily Bugle exist. And keeping up with the times. http://thedailybugle.tumblr.com/

Bishop
12-13-2013, 03:54 PM
International trailer:

iXhv7CoLAOo

Co.Inkadink
12-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Man this one is looking even better. I like the comedic elements. Love Emma Stone.

Justice41
12-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Yeah, Wasn't crazy about the ASM. The things I didn't like were more in the story but the action was much more fluid than Raimi's. This one looks way better in action just have to se what the story is about. Like this Costume more than the ASM1 one. The Eyes especially

Bishop
03-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Really looking forward to this one:

DlM2CWNTQ84

Duane Korslund
03-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Sam Jackson was Nick Fury.....Laurence Fishburn Perry White...Who's gonna play JJJ? Oooh Ice Cube!

Newt
03-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Looks good to me! I'm a little weary of the invincibility of manhole covers though. They're cast iron and concrete- you could break one with a sledge-hammer.

Slang Strong
03-21-2014, 10:02 AM
I'm really looking forward to this one, as well as Captain America. I'm not too sure about the new X-Men though.

Bishop
03-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Agreed. I can't get excited about any movie directed by Bryan Singer anymore. I watched The Usual Suspects again last weekend and still find that movie to be excellent, but he can't direct an effects driven movie for crap.

Nitecrawlah2
04-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Oscorp responsible for all/most of the baddies of the Sinister Six in the Ultimate Spider-Man's run?

I liked the first ASM. I agree that they nailed the essence of the character and the action was much better oriented than the original trilogy. I'm loving how this one looks, despite not having much of a desire to even see it. The suit's perfect too!

Baron Spider
04-03-2014, 10:54 AM
People complain that Spiderman 3 had too many villains but want the Sinister Six to show up.

Duane Korslund
04-03-2014, 10:57 AM
People complain that Spiderman 3 had too many villains but want the Sinister Six to show up.

People complain because Spiderman 3 was just terrible....you could have thrown another 8 villians in and it would have been fine if it was done decently...it was just garbage from start to finish.

Bishop
04-03-2014, 11:25 AM
People complain because Spiderman 3 was just terrible....you could have thrown another 8 villians in and it would have been fine if it was done decently...it was just garbage from start to finish.

^This.

The problem with Spiderman 3 was not too many villains. It was that the villains were handled so poorly. Venom was a joke, and Sandman was ridiculous. Oh, and emo Parker was almost enough to make me want to walk out of the theater.

Raimi just phoned it in, because he was mad about all of the studio intervention.

omega sentry
04-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Agreed, If done properly 3 villains should be good and by looking at the trailers It appears to be so. Rhino is more of a distraction I believe, while Harry Osborn is toying with peter and electro and wont be a goblin till the very end. The main attraction however will be the relationships peter will have with electro and Gwen.

I know they have been teasing us like crazy but I really don't think they will kill Gwen, not at least till ASM 3 and their expanded universe.

As far as the Expanded universe is concern, I’m thinking they might do a team up of spider-man, black cat, and venom vs. the sinister six?

Not sure what other heroes Sony has that they could team with spider-man any guess?

Only other thing that I think they could make work is a revamp of the story arc that spider-man animated series brought us.

If you think about it says Expanded Universe all over….Madame web’s role was of a cryptic adviser to Spider-Man. Enters Madame Web and the spider-woman?

Enters Stan lee as the Beyonder, :bounce:

Thus expanding on a nerd fantasy. If you think about it Stan lee is in a lot of Marvel movies. To explain and further elaborate his appearances, not just as a creator but beyond, :whistlin: they could write in the story where he morphs from Stan lee to the beyonder, He reveals that he has been observing all of this heroes to see who is worthy to resolve a crisis caused by the spider carnage or another character, but it was spider carnage in the cartoons, of an alternate universe, whose actions had led to the destruction of all reality.

They could even throw in Tobey Maguire, or make him the cause of the destruction of the universe….:w00t:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2z7sWlmIda7gVVNOislEz-pddukJZSrMwSpc77Pnr_em3vv52mA

or maybe not…… :confused:

Ehhh they are probably not that amazing to do that….:cry:

Evan Henry
04-19-2014, 01:12 PM
^I was pretty sure you were dead.

Also, Goblins and such.

omega sentry
04-19-2014, 08:30 PM
nah....got trapped by life.

You know hot wife, dog, job....also lost my kid before birth....:(

Bishop
04-19-2014, 10:29 PM
....also lost my kid before birth....:(

Damn. You've got my condolences.

Evan Henry
05-02-2014, 02:08 AM
Really, really great stuff. Stunning work of cinematic brilliance.

Unfortunately, I had to sit through a shitty two-and-a-half hour Spider-Man movie to get to the X-Men scene.

Justice41
05-02-2014, 12:12 PM

Unfortunately, I had to sit through a shitty two-and-a-half hour Spider-Man movie to get to the X-Men scene.

hahahahahaahahaahahaahahaahahahaahahahahaahahahaha haahahaahahahahahahahaahahaahaah man that made my morning.

Justice41
05-02-2014, 12:13 PM

Was that Omega Red?

Bishop
05-03-2014, 02:52 AM
I enjoyed the movie a good bit. It doesn't follow the books much, but it tells a good story. Granted, it could have used another edit to cut about 10-15 minutes of fat and to make it tighter, but overall I enjoyed it. I think it's at least as good as it's predecessor.

Justice41
05-03-2014, 04:41 PM
I enjoyed the movie a good bit. It doesn't follow the books much, but it tells a good story. Granted, it could have used another edit to cut about 10-15 minutes of fat and to make it tighter, but overall I enjoyed it. I think it's at least as good as it's predecessor.

cut the entire thing about the parents. Cut it completely out. The spiderman character in this flick is more like spiderman should be but the Raimi spidermans were for the most part better stories. At least Pete caught the guy who supposedly killed his uncle until they retconned it in S3. Peter parker was never a spaz he was just a nerd. He did become a babe magnet later on but this peter parker is a neurotic wackjob schizo.

Bishop
05-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Yeah. That would have tightened it up. I still think Garfield is more Peter Parker than Toby Macguire, though. I also wish they hadn't camped it up so much with the way Foxx played pre-Electro Max.

Justice41
05-03-2014, 06:55 PM
The talking building was as much as I could stand. This movie was complete garbage. Looked nice but was not worth seeing. My kid didn't even care to watch it and he was the one who dragged me to se it.

Bishop
05-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Meh. I enjoyed the ride. I don't expect much from the non-Marvel produced flicks.

Justice41
05-03-2014, 11:42 PM
That stone chick needs to do something about that overbite.
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t34.0-12/10335868_870480576311924_1257804975_n.jpg?oh=f9d0b d3878b3c27dd195d61c0ed1fa54&oe=5367C36D

Angel
05-04-2014, 05:51 PM
I couldn't help but notice certain parallels between Harry and Ras al Ghul.:whistlin::cool:

Steven Forbes
05-04-2014, 06:08 PM
I saw the movie on Friday.

Garbage? No. Great movie? No. It was a decent flick, and I didn't expect much from it.

That's really a sad thing to say.

And I agree with Roy: Raimi's flicks told better stories. There was no need to bring Pete's parents into this again. There was no need to tie Pete's father using his own DNA in the spiders to one of the spiders that bit Peter in order to give him his powers. Totally unnecessary, and I hope the comics don't follow suit.

This movie kinda went through the motions. Certain things had to be done.

Garfield is a better Spider-Man, but I believe that Marvel Studios would do better Spider-Man movies.

This movie will not do Captain America 2 business.

And I had to go through all that to get a clip of the X-Men movie? And it didn't even tie-in to the Spidey movie? What was the point?

Mwynn
05-04-2014, 10:51 PM
They cannot continue the spider bite angle in the comics, unless Peter has a sister. With the original sin storyline, being another person was bit by the same spider. Jamie Foxx was poorly cast in this movie.

Could anyone understand a word paul giamatti said, his attempted accent was on par with Bane.

Moonrider
05-05-2014, 06:22 AM
The reveal that Peter's dad used his own DNA for the spiders should have been a more interesting plot point, because it would have explained how Peter is the only human who could gain spider-like powers instead of getting pointy ears and bad teeth. A seemingly terrible and quite random set of side effects, I should add. Peter's parents risking their lives just to upload a video email to nobody is kind of ridiculous, and it would have worked better if they were uploading their data to SHIELD. You know, the organization from that Marvel movie universe Sony doesn't own.

Still, Andrew Garfield is better at being Spider-Man than Tobey. Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy is a far more lovable love interest than Kirsten Dunst' Mary Jane. Now that she's out of the picture, I fear for the girl who will get cast as this version's MJ as well as the rest of the inevitable sequel. ASM2 is a passable sequel which was a major improvement over the first movie, but it will never get any better than this.

Justice41
05-05-2014, 08:53 PM
I saw the movie on Friday.

Garbage? No. Great movie? No. It was a decent flick, and I didn't expect much from it.

That's really a sad thing to say.

And I agree with Roy: Raimi's flicks told better stories. There was no need to bring Pete's parents into this again. There was no need to tie Pete's father using his own DNA in the spiders to one of the spiders that bit Peter in order to give him his powers. Totally unnecessary, and I hope the comics don't follow suit.

This movie kinda went through the motions. Certain things had to be done.

Garfield is a better Spider-Man, but I believe that Marvel Studios would do better Spider-Man movies.

This movie will not do Captain America 2 business.

And I had to go through all that to get a clip of the X-Men movie? And it didn't even tie-in to the Spidey movie? What was the point?
Seems Fox still owned Marc Webbs ass so they made a concession deal to place the Fox X-flick clip into the credits.

Justice41
05-05-2014, 08:57 PM
The reveal that Peter's dad used his own DNA for the spiders should have been a more interesting plot point, because it would have explained how Peter is the only human who could gain spider-like powers instead of getting pointy ears and bad teeth. A seemingly terrible and quite random set of side effects, I should add. Peter's parents risking their lives just to upload a video email to nobody is kind of ridiculous, and it would have worked better if they were uploading their data to SHIELD. You know, the organization from that Marvel movie universe Sony doesn't own.

Still, Andrew Garfield is better at being Spider-Man than Tobey. Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy is a far more lovable love interest than Kirsten Dunst' Mary Jane. Now that she's out of the picture, I fear for the girl who will get cast as this version's MJ as well as the rest of the inevitable sequel. ASM2 is a passable sequel which was a major improvement over the first movie, but it will never get any better than this.
Meh The movie went too campy compared to the first one. I believe in the Ultimate spiderman comic Venom was a by product of genetic manipulation at Oscorp So I suspect some clone was also created and that will be come Venom in Spidey 3. If Mj is in it she will be tortured by Venom like in the comics and sandman will show up.

Steven Forbes
05-08-2014, 11:15 PM
I think I know where the movie went wrong.

I've only seen it once, and a friend of mine has seen it five times (she's like that), but she couldn't put her finger on what was actually wrong with the movie.

But for me, I know where it went wrong.

During the "big fights," I never once felt that Spidey was in actual danger. More powerful than him? Sure. But not once was he truly ever in danger. Not with Electro, and not with the Goblin. With the Lizard, there was an actual element of danger present. But with Electro, it never really felt like Spidey needed to do more than connect with him once or twice in order to beat him.

Then, there was the shuffling back and forth with Gwen. They have good screen chemistry (probably because they're dating in real life), but they never really felt like they were dating to me, so the break-up didn't feel genuine, the getting back together didn't feel genuine, and then Gwen's own stupidity helped to bring about her own fate, so that didn't really hammer home what Peter was going through.

There weren't any big moments where the movie could be hung on. Not like in Captain America 2, where there were several.

Superior to the Tobey years in terms of acting, but inferior to the first movie in the new series. Basically, the problem was with the script/story. Raimi's stories were better.

Disney needs to look at the numbers, talk to me, dig into the war chest to buy back all the Marvel properties, and then do them right under Marvel Studios.

Justice41
05-09-2014, 01:30 AM
Part of the problem also is they filmed for effect. They filmed stuff for the 3D version. The slo mo action stuff was all 3D crap that just slowed everything down and made the cool stuff bland. Having people standing around watching while guns and electricity is being thrown around and bullets flying was more than stupid. The pantomiming of the actor and his stunt doubles was just way too over the top. It's hard to believe that the person speaking is the person in the costume when the face can't be seen but man just put a beret on him and white and black striped shirt. Everything Gwen did was completely stupid and out of character. In this day and age of cel cams and constant survaeillance cams in Manhatten there is no way the authorities couldn't put it together Pete is Spidey. The fact that he shows up with the blonde chick here and there and she gets swept off her feet by spidey after seeing the huge webbed I love you crap. It's suspending belief far too much. Just a poorly hacked together paint by numbers movie.

Evan Henry
05-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Here's everything wrong with this movie in 3,000 words:

http://www.blackshipbooks.com/the-amazing-spider-man-2-review-part-1/
http://www.blackshipbooks.com/the-amazing-spider-man-review-part-2/

I'm still gonna say Rhino was the worst part, though. Totally inexcusable.

Lovecraft13
05-10-2014, 04:03 PM
When Daddy Parker went fisticuffs on the airplane, I knew the movie would only go downhill from there. I was right.

Justice41
05-10-2014, 04:55 PM
When Daddy Parker went fisticuffs on the airplane, I knew the movie would only go downhill from there. I was right.

That guy had some special forces training the way he handled him.

Lovecraft13
05-10-2014, 05:13 PM
The only reason why that fight scene could have worked in the movie is if it revealed that Daddy Parker had the venom in his system and it gave him super strength like Spider-man, which is why he took Mommy Parker and fled. Oscorp wanted his blood. But, nah.

Angel
05-12-2014, 02:21 AM
Peter telling Aunt May "Don't get it twisted." was ridiculously out of character. Him saying that was a close-up slow motion WTF moment for me.

As much as I want to like Garfield he is too goony and goofy and awkwardly try-hard cool as Peter.

Plus the transition of Max to Electro and Harry to the Goblin was so friggin abrupt...then there was Rhino which was a piece of shit.

Still compared to the Raimi Spider-Man the reboot is high art. I rewatched the first one yesterday and I honestly believe that it is worse than Batman & Robin.

Bishop
05-12-2014, 08:27 AM
Still compared to the Raimi Spider-Man the reboot is high art. I rewatched the first one yesterday and I honestly believe that it is worse than Batman & Robin.

The first Raimi Spidey?

Morganza
05-12-2014, 09:52 AM
I am convinced now, I'll never see a good Spider-man movie.

Evan Henry
05-12-2014, 07:28 PM
The first Raimi Spidey?

^I was wondering this too. You must be watching it wrong. :sure:

Mwynn
05-12-2014, 08:01 PM
I am convinced now, I'll never see a good Spider-man movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPX-FX0KStE

Angel
05-13-2014, 03:25 AM
The first Raimi Spidey?

Yes. I could be watching it wrong...let me go get a ball-pein hammer and give myself a few whacks on the noggin and it might be better.

omega sentry
05-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Having people standing around watching while guns and electricity is being thrown around and bullets flying was more than stupid.

Ok I have to say no to that....because is human nature to be that stupid. See it many of times. Seen it on the news, seen it at the mall....the movies and comics might have made it cliché, but it happens. Some one says he has a gun, or fight! and people swarm like idiots to see what is going on. Mind you there are people that go oh danger lets get out of here...but people are that stupid in real life.

Also why is it ok for stuff like this to be in comics but not on a movies?
I've heard many of credits that praise comics despite their flaws but bash on movie flaws.

While I agree every movie has some sort of flaw. I am very open to effects flaws. Because they are hard to incorporate and the manner of incorporation is also unfair to artist.

I do have to say when it comes to script flaws, dialog flaws. They should be on the ball on that.

Justice41
05-13-2014, 02:17 PM
Ok I have to say no to that....because is human nature to be that stupid. See it many of times. Seen it on the news, seen it at the mall....the movies and comics might have made it cliché, but it happens. Some one says he has a gun, or fight! and people swarm like idiots to see what is going on. Mind you there are people that go oh danger lets get out of here...but people are that stupid in real life.

Also why is it ok for stuff like this to be in comics but not on a movies?
I've heard many of credits that praise comics despite their flaws but bash on movie flaws.

While I agree every movie has some sort of flaw. I am very open to effects flaws. Because they are hard to incorporate and the manner of incorporation is also unfair to artist.

I do have to say when it comes to script flaws, dialog flaws. They should be on the ball on that.

Ahh No, People will watch if they aren't in the line of fire but when The Rhino tank is shooting directly at the cops and you have people directly behind the cops and some kid in Spideyroos who walks from behind the cops you enter the twilight zone. That scene is a stupid as the Spidey GG sandman venom scene with the crowd basically standing next to battle of monsters. Watch the video of the Atlanta Olympics bombing, That's how real people act.

omega sentry
05-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Nah I seen enough to know the difference and I get it, needs to be more chaotic rather than organized. But again straight out of a comic....I've seen comics get it right and other get it wrong. I guess comics are not an important media to pick on, so you hardly see it getting picked on.

I guess when you are watching a movie you want to be more immersed rather than seeing the exact same scene on a comic.

There are a few things I can pick on when it comes to the spider-man movies or any movie for that matter, and they have to do with character development. There are things that could have been done to fix mistakes.

To be honest other mistakes are part of every single movie out there. Which is why I love Last action hero, it was the only movie brave enough to tell people you are stupid. But I guess people hate that. lol

Justice41
05-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Comics are time compressed as well as time expanded. You cannot replicate comic panels unless you completely control everything on screen like Shit City. Raimi never did the crowd thingexcept for that god awful CGI fest of a Battle with Beachman and GG and Venom. His crowds ran for the hills. Raimi did like to throw two or 4 hot chicks with big boobs together now and then. Watch when spidey saves the two kids, as he's taking off two girls collide with tits a jiggle, or was that after saving Aunt may. The first spiderman they did that as well as in Spidey 3. I believe after Gwen stacey gets saved.
I'm not interested in comic to screen, panel work. Spidey hitting the Spidey poses is enough. The whole gwen hanging around costumed spidey was another really stupid thing especially in public. At least in the Raimi flicks it was always out of view of the public. And Dunst had huge nipples.

scrappy
05-13-2014, 08:40 PM
i never thought i'd say this, but the way they handled harry's green goblin in this movie made his character arc in raimi's trilogy look brilliant.

Paul Sanderson
05-14-2014, 01:22 AM
This movie wasn't all that good, unfortunately, but they fixed the Spidey suit at least.

Justice41
05-14-2014, 04:24 AM
That Seth Rogan flick beat it on it's second week. I knew it was doing badly the second they started showing commercials again. Movies tend not to do that as much when the flicks doing well but when they aren't here come the commercials. Rumor is the movie cost well into the 200 million with a 180 million marketing campaign. so it's gonna take a lotta mullah for the profits to role in. I read overseas is a sliding scale for each week the movies out that goes to theaters. something like 30 percent then it goes up so spidey needs to basically make a billion the least 700 million to show a profit before dvd Bluray sales. I wonder how much Fox paid to get the movies cable and tv broadcast rights?

Paul Sanderson
05-15-2014, 03:22 AM
Yep, it'll probably be the lowest performing Spidey film, domestically, of the two series'. It's doing very well outside the US, though.

omega sentry
05-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Comics are time compressed as well as time expanded. You cannot replicate comic panels unless you completely control everything on screen like Shit City. Raimi never did the crowd thingexcept for that god awful CGI fest of a Battle with Beachman and GG and Venom. His crowds ran for the hills. Raimi did like to throw two or 4 hot chicks with big boobs together now and then. Watch when spidey saves the two kids, as he's taking off two girls collide with tits a jiggle, or was that after saving Aunt may. The first spiderman they did that as well as in Spidey 3. I believe after Gwen stacey gets saved.
I'm not interested in comic to screen, panel work. Spidey hitting the Spidey poses is enough. The whole gwen hanging around costumed spidey was another really stupid thing especially in public. At least in the Raimi flicks it was always out of view of the public. And Dunst had huge nipples.

I'm not interested in crowed control errors....or That' like saying well Louis lane falling to the ground while every piece of debris and all the kriptonians where being sucked by the phantom zone black whole ruined the whole movie. So gravity doesn't work....and crowed control is much neater in an alternate universe....

Focus on the character development. Just focus on the rest of what's wrong cause I don't really have argument there....bash away....=P

Baron Spider
05-17-2014, 11:11 PM
Lois Lane

Lois

Lo-is

L O I S

Justice41
05-18-2014, 01:26 AM
I'm not interested in crowed control errors....or That' like saying well Louis lane falling to the ground while every piece of debris and all the kriptonians where being sucked by the phantom zone black whole ruined the whole movie. So gravity doesn't work....and crowed control is much neater in an alternate universe....

Focus on the character development. Just focus on the rest of what's wrong cause I don't really have argument there....bash away....=P
Well i would have not focused on the crap in the background if the stuff in the foreground was worth paying attention to. Watching my watch's second hand go around was more interesting than what was on screen. ahh well it's done. Just saw Godzilla with my kid. Scared him a few times which is good. This Godzilla movie reset the zilla movies back on the right track.

Angel
05-18-2014, 09:24 PM
This Godzilla movie reset the zilla movies back on the right track.

dun Dun DUN!!!! I totally agree.

omega sentry
05-21-2014, 03:44 AM
Well i would have not focused on the crap in the background if the stuff in the foreground was worth paying attention to. Watching my watch's second hand go around was more interesting than what was on screen. ahh well it's done. Just saw Godzilla with my kid. Scared him a few times which is good. This Godzilla movie reset the zilla movies back on the right track.

Like I said in my despicable butchering of the English language, I got no argument there. However what baffles me some times are the opinions of people on some stuff that is incredibly human.

In reality there are no motives or consequences or no motives to actions with or that don't receive any consequences.....at times love just is and it doesn't need some over all resolution. But on a fictional creation people need a theme a moral and a reason. If they don't have the guide line checks is garbage....I beg to differ...

Which reminds me how the hell is a story about a big mega dinosaur ever off track?

Justice41
05-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Like I said in my despicable butchering of the English language, I got no argument there. However what baffles me some times are the opinions of people on some stuff that is incredibly human.

In reality there are no motives or consequences or no motives to actions with or that don't receive any consequences.....at times love just is and it doesn't need some over all resolution. But on a fictional creation people need a theme a moral and a reason. If they don't have the guide line checks is garbage....I beg to differ...

Which reminds me how the hell is a story about a big mega dinosaur ever off track?

Well in the 1990's Zilla no atomic breath and no other giant hostile monsters to battle. A Giant fire breathing dragon trampling the city is cool for like 2 mins then it's a yawner. In the old Zilla flicks zilla appeared randomly until they got too campy and had monster island and all that jazz. I also liked that Zilla wasn't a good guy making buddies with some little kid but just walking the walk and beating down other monsters.
Oh and More importantly NO Frigging Man Wearing a Godzilla Costume.

Bishop
05-21-2014, 02:40 PM
Well in the 1990's Zilla no atomic breath and no other giant hostile monsters to battle. A Giant fire breathing dragon trampling the city is cool for like 2 mins then it's a yawner. In the old Zilla flicks zilla appeared randomly until they got too campy and had monster island and all that jazz. I also liked that Zilla wasn't a good guy making buddies with some little kid but just walking the walk and beating down other monsters.
Oh and More importantly NO Frigging Man Wearing a Godzilla Costume.

Agree 100%. However, I still hate the overall design of Godzilla. Even as CG he looks too humanoid. It's weird to me that he had opposable thumbs and he behaved in too human of a fashion at some points. I enjoyed the movie, but that irks me a bit. Not as much as the timer on that bomb at the end, though...

Justice41
05-21-2014, 11:04 PM
If Godzilla was being done for the first time today, he would not look anything like he does. The Iguanazilla would have been closer to what he would look like today if not for the Profile created way back in 54. I liked how they used a few things to showcase just how massive zilla is. The tsunami, he ships on his back in Frisco bay etc. Plus the Homage to Bambi vs Godzilla was priceless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-wUdetAAlY

omega sentry
08-20-2014, 07:49 PM
back to spiderman.....uhmmm got to see it finally fully anyways.

I think every ones critics about electro are wrong. He is sick in the head...so his part was played out good.

The on off confuse relationship was real...now I've had that type of relation ship with my wife before she was my wife....it does happen when it's complicated.

In the end gwen fits spiderman as a supporting spouse a lot better than mary Jane....from spider-man. That girls was a biatch....to bad GS dies.... =(

about the only thing I agree with is the fast passed need to squish it in harry Osborne part.

about the mobs revisited I can get passed that because I'm not looking for it and it's a probable reaction having in mind the comic book world...other universe might happen rules.

You can even say in a world were heroes exist and are always saving the day, you would feel a lot more curious and save....I mean they do run but only when the hero doesn't have control anymore if you notice. I think it could happen.....

we live in a world were there is no heroes and death is certain.

Moonrider
08-20-2014, 10:53 PM
I think the movie would have been better off if the focus is only on Gwen/Peter vs. Electro. Introducing Harry and his creepy dad just feel forced and took a lot of screen time for something that didn't really pay off very well.

Bishop
08-20-2014, 11:18 PM
I think the movie would have been better off if the focus is only on Gwen/Peter vs. Electro. Introducing Harry and his creepy dad just feel forced and took a lot of screen time for something that didn't really pay off very well.

I agree. Gwen should have died in the third movie. It would be the Stacey trilogy and they could have allowed it to develop more naturally.

Moonrider
08-21-2014, 04:01 AM
The death scene was beautifully shot though. I just wished that everything surrounding the event was structured better.

Buckyrig
08-21-2014, 12:17 PM
She shouldn't have died at all.

The reason she was killed is because she was killed in the comics. They threw away a character and a movie match that worked...and they can't be sure a new character (MJ I assume) will work.

Duane Korslund
08-21-2014, 12:27 PM
I dunno... to me...their chemistry felt forced. The banter was too...wooden I guess. I'd like to see how they handle MJ...so long as Kirstin Snaggletooth Dunst stays far away, it couldn't be any worse.

Buckyrig
08-21-2014, 12:30 PM
I dunno... to me...their chemistry felt forced.

Garfield and Stone are a couple.

Jesus Christ, I'm too old to still know shit like this. :(

Duane Korslund
08-21-2014, 12:42 PM
Garfield and Stone are a couple.

And that's their onscreen chemistry???? Yick...

crognus
08-21-2014, 12:43 PM
I think the chemistry was spot on. It was way more real than the Kirsten Dunst/Toby McGuire thing. That's exactly why I wanted to see her die though...I like seeing heroes hurt and rise through pain.

Newt
08-21-2014, 12:46 PM
It would have been better if he had died and she then became the Amazing SpiderBlonde.

I didn't see the movie.

Buckyrig
08-21-2014, 12:47 PM
And then we introduce Miles Morales in the next movie.

Ooh...that would be a fun social experiment. :laugh:

Evan Henry
08-21-2014, 04:37 PM
She shouldn't have died at all.

The reason she was killed is because she was killed in the comics. They threw away a character and a movie match that worked...and they can't be sure a new character (MJ I assume) will work.

Thank (http://www.blackshipbooks.com/the-amazing-spider-man-2-review-part-1/) you (http://www.blackshipbooks.com/the-amazing-spider-man-review-part-2/)! :)

One of the most piss-poor narrative decisions I've ever seen in a film. I think it's one of maybe two times excessive fidelity to the source material has actually bothered me (imaginary points if you can guess the other example). Practically a quarter of the film is spent agonizing over her going to England and when the anticlimax finally arrives, you find out all that was completely pointless. The more I think about this movie (I'll be blessed if I never have to sit through it again), the more it seems like they took five different screenplays and half-assed stitched them together.

I feel the need to say this again: worse than Spider-Man 3.

crognus
08-21-2014, 04:57 PM

So not true. Emotional attachment to the character is what makes the death work. If the movie-goers didn't give a crap about Gwen, and they killed her off because the character was inconvenient THAT would be poor writing. Only killing throw away characters is one of the things I hate in movies.

Peter avoids a relationship because he is deathly afraid of getting Gwen hurt. When he finally decides to give in, his absolute worst fears are realized. Events like this make Peter grow as a character. It makes him more interesting. It makes his world more real. He learns about the consequences of decisions he makes.

People just want their happy and "everything is perfect" endings nowadays, ugh.

Evan Henry
08-21-2014, 05:00 PM
So not true. Emotional attachment to the character is what makes the death work. If the movie-goers didn't give a crap about Gwen, and they killed her off because the character was inconvenient THAT would be poor writing. There would be no character development for Peter.

People just want there happy endings and "everything is perfect" endings nowadays, ugh.

Not even close to what I wrote. It's not a downer ending that made the movie bad; it's inept screenwriting without even the barest understanding of how story structure is supposed to work.

Duane Korslund
08-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Thank (http://www.blackshipbooks.com/the-amazing-spider-man-2-review-part-1/) you (http://www.blackshipbooks.com/the-amazing-spider-man-review-part-2/)! :)

That's a pretty bold statement....Spiderman 3 was about as crappy as a super hero movie could get from start to finish. While I don't think ASM2 was the greatest, I dont think it came remotely close to being as craptacular as Spiderman 3.

crognus
08-21-2014, 05:17 PM
I actually think the Gwen arc works well. It's not pointless, Gwen moving to Europe develops Peter's inability to deal with loss, and then in the end he has to learn to deal with even greater loss. It seems like appropriate build up and foreshadowing to me...

crognus
08-21-2014, 05:18 PM
The bad writing in the movie has to deal with the villains, in my opinion.

crognus
08-21-2014, 06:55 PM
Not even close to what I wrote. It's not a downer ending that made the movie bad; it's inept screenwriting without even the barest understanding of how story structure is supposed to work.

Alright. I'm just going to rewind a bit. I couldn't actually read your review at work because it was blocking the website for some reason. For that reason I assumed your complaints about the Gwen Stacey arc were going to be the same as other people.

There are parts of AMS2 that don't work. But my opinion on what does and doesn't work are insanely different from yours. I think the primary problem with Amazing Spiderman 2 is Electro. This has nothing to do with Foxx's portrayal of him, or the arc for his development within itself. It has to do with not tying in with the other themes of the movie. Villains in a superhero story should mirror the personal issues the protagonist is going through.

Outside of Electro's story we have some pretty unified themes: Choices, Consequences, and Loss. In fact these are the most prevalent themes in Spiderman in general (Uncle Ben's Death is a consequence of poor choices).

Big Choices: Peter's parents choice to do the right thing and defy Osborn despite the danger it would present to themselves and their family. Peter's parents choose to leave him to keep him safe. Peter's choice to stay away from Gwen to keep her safe. Peter's choice not to give Harry his blood or tell him the truth.

Unforseen/Unintended Consequences: Peter's choice to stay away from Gwen drives her to want to leave New York. Peter's subsequent choice to change his mind, and confront her before she leaves, leads to her death. Peter's choice not to help Harry or tell him the truth leads him to become a villain. Harry turning into the Green Goblin after injecting himself.

Loss: Harry is losing his father. Peter is losing Gwen. Peter lost his parents. Yadda, yadda.

Then comes along Electro. The driving themes for his character in this movie are lack-of-confidence and feeling unimportant. If we have a story where Peter is beginning to doubt his abilities or feel like Spiderman isn't really accomplishing enough to save the city, then bam! Electro, would be the right choice of villain. The fact that Electro doesn't fit into the story is why people start getting the feeling there are “too many villains.”

Let's take a good superhero movie that actually has a story arc that is similar to AMS2, The Dark Knight. We have a superhero who chases down a super villain, only to see his friend turn into the true villain in the end. Oh and the girl he cares about dies because of his choices. Similar arc.

Thematically, however, all the characters intertwine. The themes of the story are chaos, order, and revenge. This theme is contained all the players: Batman, The Joker, and Harvey Dent. The Joker represents complete chaos, Batman is in the middle (a vigilante who goes outside of the law), and Harvey the white knight. In the end, when Harvey becomes two-face, his life becomes even further defined by absolutes. Batman's internal struggles are mirrored in the villains. This is how superhero stories should work and where AMS2 fails.

Buckyrig
08-21-2014, 07:44 PM
So not true. Emotional attachment to the character is what makes the death work. If the movie-goers didn't give a crap about Gwen, and they killed her off because the character was inconvenient THAT would be poor writing.

But that's the reason they killed her in the comics. They only logical place for the story to go was for them to get married, and Marvel didn't want Spider-Man married.

Events like this make Peter grow as a character. It makes him more interesting. It makes his world more real. He learns about the consequences of decisions he makes.

I just think he would be more interesting going forward with a female lead that was working. It's not as if the Gwen/Peter story had run its course; like a Friday the 13th movie, it hit the "90 minute mark" and it was time to end it suddenly.

People just want their happy and "everything is perfect" endings nowadays, ugh.

Maybe not that so much for me as wanting more of the character. Stone's Gwen is probably my favorite female lead from a superhero story since Dana Delany's Lois in S:TAS.

crognus
08-21-2014, 08:36 PM
But that's the reason they killed her in the comics. They only logical place for the story to go was for them to get married, and Marvel didn't want Spider-Man married.

I know. I was actually talking to my friend about that at work after reading this thread. :laugh: We started talking about her death in the comics compared to her death in the movie.

crognus
08-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Stone's Gwen is probably my favorite female lead from a superhero story since Dana Delany's Lois in S:TAS.

I agree. She was amazing.

Moonrider
08-21-2014, 09:58 PM
I agree with crognus on a lot of points. Yes, Electro's side story doesn't really mesh well with all the other themes in the movie. I think he would have worked better as a villain had he evolved from a disturbed but well meaning individual who suddenly gained terrible powers which Spider-Man took pity of, in which Spidey felt that he needed to show this guy the lesson his uncle taught him about power and responsibility, but ultimately fails because Peter was not in a position where he can focus on guiding and preventing Electro from turning bad. He was dealing with personal issues that prevents him from becoming the hero his city so badly needed. So then everything bad in the movie basically happened not because of his choice, but rather because of his indecisiveness. In the end, if only Spidey let Gwen go immediately after the death of her father then he would have had enough time and focus to guide Electro into the path of true heroism, and she wouldn't have to die. The best movie that I've seen so far which tackled a similar theme was Daniel Craig's Casino Royale, where the supposedly young and raw James Bond were so reckless and unstylish to the point that he endangered colleagues, friends and lovers in the pursuit of his quest for 'justice'.

Moonrider
08-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Also I would like to point out that Shailene Woodley is a very cute person and she would have made an interesting, albeit different Mary Jane Watson. While Gwen Stacy was the embodiment of a perfect girlfriend, MJ's Woodley could have been a very different, very sweet person which gives Peter great moral support and a counter balance of all the crazy shit he has to encounter everyday as Spider-Man. She doesn't have to be in every dire situation or being the damsel in distress like her predecessor was, but she should be independent enough to get herself out of trouble and ease Peter's mind from having to rescue her every damn time.

dx
08-22-2014, 03:36 AM
I think the chemistry was spot on. It was way more real than the Kirsten Dunst/Toby McGuire thing.

Toby McGuire....the one guy in Hollywood where Fame did absolutely nothing for his game. We can all agree that there are some really lame guys or troll looking dudes (Lil Wayne), that prove fame and money trumps all....except for Toby McGuire.

:slap:

omega sentry
08-26-2014, 06:12 PM
To be honest now that you pointed out maybe the electro part needed some flare to makes us love to love him or love to hate him.....

I don't think that we do need to fallow the so called guide lines of story telling all the time. That's really up in opinion and taste.

I think why it didn't do so well was because they killed gwen stacy end of story...sure after you see it and look for it you do dissect it and find flaws.

they will need to fix what they have done or just ended on the 3rd one if they get to that.

Buckyrig
08-26-2014, 06:30 PM
The story's a complete mess, with too many half-baked ideas thrown in - not fully developed or resolved - without much of anything tying them together in a way that made much sense. (And OsCorp is the "green meteor rock" of this new franchise...the origin of every friggin' thing in the universe. Why the hell would OsCorp invent the Goblin glider and the Vulture wings?)

I had essentially the same response to it that I had to Man of Steel.

Though I like this better. They both get some stuff right and some stuff wrong, but the things that Amazing Spider-Man 2 got right are the things I'm generally more concerned with. Spider-Man is more Spider-Man-like than Superman in MOS is Superman-like.

And there were no dragons in Spider-Man

I swear to God...what the hell was that about? :blink:

Moonrider
08-27-2014, 12:49 AM
To be honest now that you pointed out maybe the electro part needed some flare to makes us love to love him or love to hate him.....

I don't think that we do need to fallow the so called guide lines of story telling all the time. That's really up in opinion and taste.

I think why it didn't do so well was because they killed gwen stacy end of story...sure after you see it and look for it you do dissect it and find flaws.

Naah. She needed to die. What's the point of being a superhero if your girlfriend always insist on tagging along creating antidotes and understanding complex electrical engineering and shit, deliberately putting herself in danger, while just a few moment ago she was threatening to leave you for England because you decided that it was not a good idea to date someone whose dad was killed by a villain you helped create. They're a cute couple, but IRL you know something is seriously wrong with this woman.