PDA

View Full Version : Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Bishop
11-23-2013, 09:54 AM
After being underwhelmed by the first movie I had pretty low expectations from this one. However, my 12 yr old daughter has been holding her breath for weeks to see it. I begrudgingly agreed to take her to a late showing last night, and I am surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie.

The first was disappointing to me as it strayed from the book in some areas and the combat seemed watered down. The FX were weak and the cinematography was not what it could be considering the beautiful area of the country where they shot the movie.

Catching Fire fixes all of these things. It is one of the best book to movie adaptations I've ever seen. The FX were very well done. The fighting was brutal, and the cinematography was excellent. This movie is worth the price of admission.

The second book was also my favorite of the trilogy. I'm interested to see how they split the third into two movies. It doesn't seem like there is enough material there. I hope they do it well. If they do, this series of movies will have some real staying power.

dx
11-26-2013, 03:03 AM
Ahh...I actually hope they deviate from the third book. It was crap from page one.

I notice in book series like this, the quality really starts to dissolve after the 1st or 2nd book. Like the authors generally had no end game because they were just hoping to get the 1st book published.

Both movies are visually stunning and the cinematography is excellent, meaning no blatant cheesy/cheep fx or shortcuts.

It's worth a watch. It may not blow you away, especially if you read the book and know what's going to happen, but it will entertain you for 2 1/2 hours.

Nitecrawlah2
11-28-2013, 03:33 AM
I enjoyed the books, and will be catching the flick this weekend. All of the glossed over details and history regarding District 13 from the first war will probably be mined flashback style for the third movie, along with the survivors' settling in there and the rebel propaganda taking off. I'd imagine the second half of the book involving the bigger war and battles as they make their way to the Capital again will chew up plenty of time for the fourth one. Ice been hearing great things about Catching Fire, I'm looking forward to finally watching it.

Moonrider
11-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Just watched it. Definitely a lot better than the first, which was very much a tamer version of Battle Royale. The beginning to the middle part is a bit draggy but the arena battle with older tributes and less angsty teenagers really make it more fun to watch.
And I also just realized that the guy who played Peeta was the kid from Zathura. He didn't grow up to look like Zach Braff after all.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
12-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Interesting... The first movie was a bit of a disappointment. I really didn't like the third book at all, so I didn't have much intention of watching the rest of the series....

Nitecrawlah2
12-02-2013, 01:33 AM
While I also thought the third book was the weakest, I think it's a book of two halves of different stories that should actually make for better movies than the actual book.

jeffo46
12-08-2013, 12:57 PM
I've never read any of the books but, my wife and I finally went to go see it yesterday and it was way much better than the 1st film IMO.

MistValkyrie
12-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Can't wait to see it. I actually liked the first movie, but then I hadn't read any of the books before I saw it...or now so maybe I just didn't have that experience to draw from first.