PDA

View Full Version : Can ink go "bad"?

JOinks
11-21-2013, 09:34 AM
I've been using the same bottle of ink for a a few months now and I'm almost to the bottom. The only thing is the ink is starting to get really thick and....I guess...chunky? I shake it up every time I use it but it just doesn't help. And it makes my brushwork look like shit lol. Can ink just go bad after a while?

Dr. Ph. Martin's Black Star Matte.

L Jamal
11-21-2013, 11:13 AM
The water has evaporated.
If you add water back a little at a time and stir, the ink will reconstitute itself.

JasonEnosArt
11-24-2013, 09:16 PM
I've been using the same bottle over the course of over a year (I know I used the ink on pieces dating from August 2012!). It has gotten thicker, but I only pour a tiny bit out on a plate and then recap the bottle fast.

Funnily enough, I use the same ink! I think I got that ink referred from Jonathan Glapion's YouTube channel.

JOinks
11-24-2013, 11:06 PM
I've been using the same bottle over the course of over a year (I know I used the ink on pieces dating from August 2012!). It has gotten thicker, but I only pour a tiny bit out on a plate and then recap the bottle fast.

Funnily enough, I use the same ink! I think I got that ink referred from Jonathan Glapion's YouTube channel.

Yea I was using Blackstar before I found out he used it but I learned about Hi-Carb and boy let me tell you what, it's amazing!

Yea I used to pour out a little bit of ink into this plastic painting palette (I actually still use as a tray lol) but then I started just going from the bottle and that is what screwed me up. now I use an old black cat ink jar :D

Rob Norton
11-25-2013, 07:15 PM

ha...i did the same thing. i watched his videos and i loved the look of the inks...a kind of flat matte finish insead of a glossy look. i much prefer what glapions inks look like and its now my mainstay.

rob

JOinks
11-26-2013, 02:56 PM
ha...i did the same thing. i watched his videos and i loved the look of the inks...a kind of flat matte finish insead of a glossy look. i much prefer what glapions inks look like and its now my mainstay.

rob

Yep the Black Star Matte is a good ink. At $10 a pop though you better need it lol