PDA

View Full Version : Writing Challenge--Pitching!

Steven Forbes
11-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Okay, folks! It's time to write some pitches.

I don't want loglines. I want a pitch: a document that you'd send to an editor in order to try to sell your story. Loglines will not make it to final polling. Just letting you know.

The pitch should be no longer than 2 pages. The shorter, though, the better. It will be for a limited series, so the pitch should have a beginning, middle, and end. No ongoing series.

Nope, you can't pick your poison. I'm picking it.

I want an historical event with a sci-fi slant. Some examples of historical events: JFK assassination, the atomic bomb detonations, the Obama election, the fall of the Berlin Wall.

There are three things I'm taking out of the mix, because they're obvious choices: the Tunguska incident, the second Russian asteroid/explosion, and The Manhattan Project. Any pitches with these choices will not make it into the poll.

The challenge will start on 11/23/13.

Let's see what ya got!

scrappy
11-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Got any examples for us to take a look at? Or would that defeat the purpose?

Steven Forbes
11-19-2013, 06:14 AM
Got any examples for us to take a look at? Or would that defeat the purpose?

It kinda defeats the purpose, but there are examples on the 'net. Just gotta look. There should be some examples in the Pitching For Anthologies (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143614) thread, too. Those are for anthologies (and if anyone wants to take an insider hint, start working on those now), but the concepts are still very sound.

Hope that helps.

paul brian deberry
11-19-2013, 09:07 PM
blah! I guess if a publisher came to me and said Yo DeBerry Historical Sci/Fi go!

if i gotta...

JeremyRJackson
11-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Couple of questions first. After choosing a historical event am I supposed to inject the sci-fi aspect of my creation? Or, am I supposed to pick something like The nazi obsession with the super soldiers? I kinda get a sci-fi feel from that.

And before I get outta here...can you submit them early, and where are they to be submitted.

Thank you for your time,
Jeremy R. Jackson.

paul brian deberry
11-22-2013, 07:25 PM
i believe you drop them here and pretty much that... like with all pitches showcase the key points of the story.

JeremyRJackson
11-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Thank you sir!

Steven Forbes
11-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Nope. No early submissions.

I'll be making a new thread for it tomorrow, when it starts.

To answer the main question, you find something historical and inject your own sci-fi slant to it.

Sound good?

JeremyRJackson
11-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Nope. No early submissions.

I'll be making a new thread for it tomorrow, when it starts.

To answer the main question, you find something historical and inject your own sci-fi slant to it.

Sound good?

Thank you and that is what I had initially thought; However, I tend to over think things sometime and needed clarification.

Thanks once again, see you soon,
Jeremy R. Jackson.