PDA

View Full Version : Image My New Favorite?

AuthorOfAuthority
11-17-2013, 01:45 AM
I have long been a Marvel fan over DC, which has been a big argument between my friends and I as any other comic book fan could probably relate. However a couple years back I got tired of super heroes and ventured into Image comics to see some of the other stories that are out there. With Morning Glories, Saga, East of West, and most recently sex criminals and Alex + Ada. Their stories have been entertaining and more "out there" on a deeper level than the big two. What are your thoughts on image? What are your favorite books that you'd recommend?

eDuke
11-17-2013, 12:40 PM
I know as I've gotten older, I've gravitated towards non-superhero stories. I just read SEX CRIMINALS (free on ComiXology) and enjoyed it. I became aware of it through a news article online mentioning how Apple has dropped the series. I don't think something like this would have ever been published a couple decades ago, so that shows us how the industry has grown.

Heard good things about Alex+Ada, will give that a shot soon.

Scribbly
11-18-2013, 01:57 AM
Image and Vertigo are the two best publishers ever.
Good stories with solid and innovative content and fresh and original characters.

Superheroes are not too different than animated cartoons.
The same main cliché characters, the same plot and designs redrawn and rewritten to exhaustion for thousand of different artists.

IDW is great as well.

Bishop
11-18-2013, 09:59 AM
I really enjoy Locke and Key from IDW. Also, Invincible from Image. It is a superhero book, but not your typical superhero book.

AuthorOfAuthority
11-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Valiant also just had a very strong reboot recently. I just met Matt Kindt about a week ago and the stuff he talked about that is going on over there is crazy. I highly suggest going back and reading the new X-O Manowar and Shadowman, but above all Harbinger. Harbinger is amazing.

Also, outside of the hero/sci-fi genre, Matt Kindt's monthly Mind MGMT is mind blowingly amazing. A must read for writers, but artists will probably want to rip out their hair because the art is a little...sloppy.

Living Silver
11-24-2013, 05:00 AM
I've been a fan of image for many years. The super hero comics (particularly Savage Dragon and Invincible) are edgier and more original than the big two. Plus, the consequences are real (I.e. The creators are allowed to permanently change status quo, and they're allowed to kill characters off forever). Mark Millar has his new superhero book Jupiter's Legacy, which has a lot of potential, and he's going to launch his own superhero shared universe soon.

And that's just the beginning! Morning Glories, Luther Strode, Godland, Chew. Nearly ever Image title that I've picked up has been fantastic.