PDA

View Full Version : Night of the Doctor

BEN DENNIS
11-14-2013, 02:12 PM
I woke-up to this and my mind was blown! There was absolutely nothing about this that didn't please me. What about you?

-U3jrS-uhuo

ponyrl
11-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Nothing but confusion.

How is this related to the current Doctor? This shows the Movie Doctor becoming the 11th (I think) but, then how is the current Doc going to regen into him if this Doctor becomes him?

Confused.

And since they say this is Warrior Doc, will he have big guns and shoulder pads?

And how many times are we going to the daleks? Honestly, I never got into Mofat's Doc series.

BEN DENNIS
11-14-2013, 10:29 PM
This (McGann) is the 8th Doctor who regenerates into the War Doctor (Hurt), who will then regenerate into the 9th (Eccleston), who becomes the 10th (Tennant), who regenerates into the 11th (Smith), who will become the 12th (Capaldi) at Christmas.
The significance is that we never got to see how the 8th met his end in continuity, now we do. I think it was a brilliant thing to do for the true Who fans.

Nitecrawlah2
11-15-2013, 01:24 AM
I loved the premise and the beginning, though would have hoped for a more grim descent into 8's regeneration to The Warrior. Something to justify it a bit more besides the Sisterhood of Karn and a pissed off (dead) crash pilot.

BEN DENNIS
11-15-2013, 01:37 AM
I loved the premise and the beginning, though would have hoped for a more grim descent into 8's regeneration to The Warrior. Something to justify it a bit more besides the Sisterhood of Karn and a pissed off (dead) crash pilot.

It's really more than that. It's in his dialogue... the years of running and the frustration of a war that can't be won.

Moonrider
11-15-2013, 03:28 AM
I hope someday we'll have a scene where the War Doctor regenerate into Eccleston.

BEN DENNIS
11-15-2013, 03:57 AM
I hope someday we'll have a scene where the War Doctor regenerate into Eccleston.

Since Moffatt has went on record saying that he's been lying for months and we know nothing, I'm holding onto the hope of an Eccleston cameo at the end of the flick.

Nitecrawlah2
11-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Yeah I know Ben, maybe a bit more time with the original lost doctor himself would have been nice. Watched it again, it's good.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
11-15-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm watching that later today... Can't wait to see what the fuss is about! (S. has been taking up a good deal of my off-hours, strangely...)

Bishop
11-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Question: I've never gotten the appeal of Dr. Who, but I seem to be in the minority in my family and friends. Perhaps, I've not started at the right place in the series. Where would you guys recommend I start off? I've tried the old 60's/70's stuff and some of the more recent shows, but I've never come on at the beginning of any Dr.'s run.

BEN DENNIS
11-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Question: I've never gotten the appeal of Dr. Who, but I seem to be in the minority in my family and friends. Perhaps, I've not started at the right place in the series. Where would you guys recommend I start off? I've tried the old 60's/70's stuff and some of the more recent shows, but I've never come on at the beginning of any Dr.'s run.

Even though I'd seen episodes of the 4th and 5th Doctor when I was a kid, I never followed it until the 2005 reboot with Eccleston. That's a great hopping-on spot. From there I became engrossed enough to go back and revisit the original series.

Bishop
11-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Do you know if that is on netflix?

ponyrl
11-15-2013, 03:47 PM
This (McGann) is the 8th Doctor who regenerates into the War Doctor (Hurt), who will then regenerate into the 9th (Eccleston), who becomes the 10th (Tennant), who regenerates into the 11th (Smith), who will become the 12th (Capaldi) at Christmas.
The significance is that we never got to see how the 8th met his end in continuity, now we do. I think it was a brilliant thing to do for the true Who fans.

Ahhhhhh. Now I see.

Have fun with that.;)

Nitecrawlah2
11-19-2013, 01:46 AM
Do you know if that is on netflix?

Oh yes, the new series is definitely on Netflix. Over a year ago they also added a bunch of the older series' collected episodes and stories, but as previously mentioned the beginning of the reboot is a perfect jumping on point.

Bishop
11-19-2013, 09:35 AM
I'll give it a shot. My daughter, 12, somehow has gained an interest in Dr. Who as well, so we will watch it together.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
11-19-2013, 11:24 AM
I can't wait.

paul brian deberry
11-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Google (http://www.formation-massage-stage.fr//outils/nettoyeurecran/cleanscreen.swf)

Google is celebrating the the Doctor (http://google.com)

Lovecraft13
11-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Saw it in 3D tonight at an Edinburgh cinema. It was so much fun watching it with a thousand British Whovians.

Comix Obsession
11-24-2013, 07:18 AM

If you don't get it, you probably won't just by watching more. I'm the same, though I am tempted to watch the special that was on last night when it airs again (and again, and again). It's one of those shows that people love, or they don't. I'm the kind of person who can dip in and out of it, but I'm no fan, either. It's always seemed very 'light' to me. Try it, but if you aren't convinced after a couple then you probably won't ever be.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
11-24-2013, 11:03 AM
I completely enjoyed it. Spoilers:

Would have been neat with more Eccleston, but watcha gonna do, and found the Time War mighty similar to Order 66, but it was an impressive scene nonetheless. Loved the humor, and the Doctors together, glad Billie Piper was not Rose,

and I'll be watching this several more times...!

AthenaRose
11-25-2013, 12:26 PM
It was a great episode. I think it's very much one for the fans, though - I don't think the banter between Smith and Tennant would make much sense to a newbie. And I think you need to know about The Doctor's relationship with the TARDIS to understand just why Hurt carried The Moment so far away from her!

There was also a nice tie in with the Shakespeare episode from a few years ago. No wonder Elizabeth wanted his head!

As for a hopping on point - either go back to Eccleston OR wait until Christmas when we get our brand new Doctor (number 13!!!).

VeaVictus
11-25-2013, 10:43 PM
I have to say with the new episode I wept when Tom showed up.

BEN DENNIS
11-26-2013, 12:28 AM
It was a great episode. I think it's very much one for the fans, though - I don't think the banter between Smith and Tennant would make much sense to a newbie. And I think you need to know about The Doctor's relationship with the TARDIS to understand just why Hurt carried The Moment so far away from her!

There was also a nice tie in with the Shakespeare episode from a few years ago. No wonder Elizabeth wanted his head!

As for a hopping on point - either go back to Eccleston OR wait until Christmas when we get our brand new Doctor (number 13!!!).

For what it's worth, Moffat says the numbering stays the same and that Capaldi is indeed still the 12th.

Nitecrawlah2
11-28-2013, 03:23 AM
Spoilers!

Moffat can say whatever he wants (and usually does!), but the numbering discussion is made moot towards the end when the council on Galifrey confirms all 13 doctors (a collective "WOOT!!" came about from everyone with the Capaldi tease), and when Smith and Tennant's doctors move from their initial feelings towards this lost regeneration of the Warrior and accept and acknowledge him as only doing what any Doctor would have done. Fantastic episode, definitely for the fans with the great callbacks and references.

One thing I didn't necessarily like - the whole curator thing. Yes yes I know he's one of the favorite doctors and it was great to see him, but is he REALLY supposed to be the retired Doctor in the future? Perhaps just a curator who's so good at his job of course he knows so much of the Doctor? I get the who and why, just not sure even they completely thought out the what.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
11-28-2013, 05:27 PM
There is also a fabulous video thingy called "The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot" that is really worth a watch as well. Great fun! (seeing Moffat play with Doctor Who mini figures is rather funny...lol...)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy

Moonrider
11-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Spoilers!

Moffat can say whatever he wants (and usually does!), but the numbering discussion is made moot towards the end when the council on Galifrey confirms all 13 doctors (a collective "WOOT!!" came about from everyone with the Capaldi tease), and when Smith and Tennant's doctors move from their initial feelings towards this lost regeneration of the Warrior and accept and acknowledge him as only doing what any Doctor would have done. Fantastic episode, definitely for the fans with the great callbacks and references.

One thing I didn't necessarily like - the whole curator thing. Yes yes I know he's one of the favorite doctors and it was great to see him, but is he REALLY supposed to be the retired Doctor in the future? Perhaps just a curator who's so good at his job of course he knows so much of the Doctor? I get the who and why, just not sure even they completely thought out the what.

By the time The Doctor retires (as a series), BBC's CGI technology will be good enough and cheap enough to recreate ultra lifelike image of Tom Baker's younger face just like the way Disney did it with Jeff Bridges in Tron 2. Suffice to say it will be a very long time in the future.

MistValkyrie
12-10-2013, 08:56 PM

Personally I'm a big fan of Number Four (Tom Baker) but it's pretty aged now and if you don't have a taste for older sci-fi I wouldn't recommend it. Pertwee (Number Three) and Baker were both pretty enjoyable, Troughton was also really good but some of it is in black and white (I can't remember if his run was all b/w) and that tends to turn some people off, even those who like old sci-fi. If you're going to watch the old ones, I'd say 2, 3 and 4 were the best.
If you're more into new sci-fi, I'd say just start at the beginning of the 2005 series re-boot with Doc Nine (Eccleston), it gets better as you go on to Docs 10 (Tennant) and 11 (Smith).
But Dr. Who is not for everyone, just like Star Trek isn't for everyone. I'm actually very much in the minority in my family, I'm the only one who really gets into Trek or Who and generally older movies that vary from classical German cinema through wierd and campy 70's/80's horror.
I'd say if you can get into Star Trek (old and/or), then you'd probably like Dr. Who from the corresponding years.