PDA

View Full Version : Splash page advice

JOinks
11-10-2013, 04:39 PM
It seems to take me a considerable amount of time to do splash pages as opposed to sequential pages. Any advice of speeding up the process of knocking out these big guys?

Angel
11-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Move your hands faster.

JOinks
11-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Ah man! I never thought of that! Freaking genius thanks!

Rob Norton
11-12-2013, 06:34 PM
i dont know that by default a splash page takes longer. for me...drawing a splash page is quicker than doing sequentials. and it depends on what each image calls for..

BUT..you are referring to inking specifically i guess... and i dont know what kind of answer you are expecting.

the quality of work needs to stay the same. so you just have to put in the time. you will get quicker as you go. i think quality trumps speed any day. so... yeah..

rob

JOinks
11-12-2013, 07:13 PM
I totally agree with quality over quantity. It just gets to me when one page spills over from being a one day job to a one and half day job. Especially on paid jobs @@'

mdmodeler
11-13-2013, 12:42 AM
When the deadline is intense and the pencils have strong lines - I've come up with method to speed up the process. If the pencils have strong lines, like outlines, this is a process I have used in Manga Studio:
- Make a copy of the pencil image layer and change the layer properties from "Do not reduce colors" to "Threshold".
- Then convert the layer type to Raster 2 bit (imported pencil would have been grayscale 8 bit originally).
- Then convert the layer type for the copied layer to Vector. (This part will take some time.)
- I then convert the Vector image back to Raster and use the Thicken/Thinning Line tool to add variation and Blur Tool to smooth transitions.
- I then add all the details (because they will be lost) and spot the blacks. You will still have to deal with small detail areas, feathering, etc by hand.

I have only used this technique with ridiculously intense deadlines. I rarely like the results but clients have been happy with the quick turnaround.

Sometimes I've had to take the pencil images into Adobe Photoshop and then Illustrator to vectorize - it depends on the amount of filtering that has to happen to bring out the line work.

A couple of times I was able to skip the vectorize step and just work with the Threshold version, adding variation with Thick/Thin and Blur tools. But this has been very rare and I normally end up cleaning up too much.

JOinks
11-13-2013, 11:57 PM
Wow. That sounds intense. good thing I don't do digital inks. lol

InkerMAtteO
11-17-2013, 02:37 PM
When I ink splash pages I start with outlining the focus of the page. Lets say it's two figures in a fight. I'll choose the line weights I want for them in the foreground and just make the outlines. Then I completely focus on inking the background. If it's a cityscape or whatever. It tends to go quicker on that boring stuff in anticipation of inking the fun stuff. It could just be my perception but I feel it goes quicker that way.

JOinks
11-18-2013, 11:23 AM
When I ink splash pages I start with outlining the focus of the page. Lets say it's two figures in a fight. I'll choose the line weights I want for them in the foreground and just make the outlines. Then I completely focus on inking the background. If it's a cityscape or whatever. It tends to go quicker on that boring stuff in anticipation of inking the fun stuff. It could just be my perception but I feel it goes quicker that way.

Thank you! That was exactly what I needed to hear! You rock! :thumbs: