PDA

View Full Version : XMen: Days of Future Past

Bishop
10-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Meh.

pK2zYHWDZKo

Duane Korslund
10-29-2013, 10:28 AM
whats with the xmen franchise constantly destroying classic, established stories? I dont think I would mind if they didnt call this Days of Future Past....because this isnt Days of future past! I guess Kitty Pryde isnt muscular enough to go back in time O.o

Bishop
10-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Watching this after seeing the awesome Captain America trailer last week is such a let down. To make a good trailer here they needed to cut back and forth between the concentration camp stuff from the earlier movies to the mutant camps of this timeline comparing the oppression of the Jews to the annihilation of the mutants. Close with Wolvie being flung at a sentinel while its hand cannon is spinning up, cutting right before that blast that reduces him to a metal skeleton.

Bryan Singer hasn't made a good movie since Apt Pupil, and I have lost almost all faith that he is going to pull this off.

Co.Inkadink
10-29-2013, 04:16 PM
This week on a very special X-men...

cheeseisgood1918
10-29-2013, 09:11 PM
I get what they're doing completely. They're not just bridging First Class and the X-trilogy, this gives them the opportunity to undo all the bullshit Ratner crapped onto film with X-Men 3. Now, they can use Cyclops, Jean Grey and anyone else they want to. In fact, I bet the possibility of bringing Jean back is what they use to convince Wolverine to do do this in the first place. It's the first comic movie retcon!

I'm sure I'll watch it, but Days of Future Past it ain't.

Justice41
10-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Singer sucks. Jack and the beanstalk, Superman Returns, X2, Valkryie, all garbage. Now we have this nonsense with the upright vacuum cleaner playing a Giant Robot. Boot the big head hack back to TV and House eps.

eDuke
10-31-2013, 12:05 AM
This isn't a Marvel Studios controlled film, right? I know there are a few out of their control; ie; Spider-Man, Fantastic Four

dx
10-31-2013, 03:01 AM
I get what they're doing completely. They're not just bridging First Class and the X-trilogy, this gives them the opportunity to undo all the bullshit Ratner crapped onto film with X-Men 3. Now, they can use Cyclops, Jean Grey and anyone else they want to. In fact, I bet the possibility of bringing Jean back is what they use to convince Wolverine to do do this in the first place. It's the first comic movie retcon!

I'm sure I'll watch it, but Days of Future Past it ain't.

You do realize Ratner had nothing to do with X3 other than sitting a chair and directing it. He was literally the last person on board....the movie was already in production when they brought him on and told him he had less than six months to get the movie done!

X3 was still a product of FOX and Singer, who backed out to make his crapfest, Superman Returns.

P.S.
I'm not a Ratner fan...just stating the facts.

Angel
10-31-2013, 05:55 AM
This week on a very special X-men...

Nailed it. Dollar movies here I come!

Justice41
10-31-2013, 12:32 PM
This isn't a Marvel Studios controlled film, right? I know there are a few out of their control; ie; Spider-Man, Fantastic Four

This is still Fox crap. Imagine if Marvel had these properties? Instead of recycling old crap they'd have gone on to probably do the true phoenix Saga. if they can bring in Thanos they can do The Imperial Guard and the Shi Ar. When they did the reboot they had a chance to amp everything up and do the Phoenix Saga in three movies. Now the Hellfire Club and Shaw are gone from this reality. I've a feeling the Jean Grey Appearances in the wolverine flick have a lot to do with this new flick. Anyone think that Magneto will re-sheath the Adamantium around Wolverines bone claws?

Justice41
10-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Why Have Bishop and Blink in this unless Singer is trying to pull a Whedon and introduce Apocalypse. Cyclops will probably be the bad guy in this flick along with Beast.

Bishop
10-31-2013, 03:48 PM
Anyone think that Magneto will re-sheath the Adamantium around Wolverines bone claws?

Without a doubt this will happen.

I hate that Fox still has control over this property. I'd love to see this franchise rebooted and handled correctly from the get-go.

Justice41
10-31-2013, 05:13 PM
You know I'm getting a feel that The First Class X-men are the X-men in the future timeline and the X-men we know are in another timeline. May be obvious to some but I really think that what causes the timeline of Bishop and the Sentinels happens in the First Class universe. So instead of actually reaching back into the past the future X-men are going to the other timeline for help. Good way to justify all the changes they made in First Class.

Justice41
11-07-2013, 01:23 AM
Sentinel!!!????
http://www.comingsoon.net/gallery/83954/hr_X-Men:_Days_of_Future_Past_31.jpg

Justice41
11-07-2013, 01:25 AM
http://www.comingsoon.net/gallery/83954/hr_X-Men:_Days_of_Future_Past_29.jpg

zcotty
11-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Was a bit UNDERwhelmed by this... :huh:

Paul Sanderson
11-12-2013, 07:44 PM
This doesn't look too bad, I don't know what people here are going on about.

Bishop
11-12-2013, 08:03 PM
The trailer plays better on the big screen. I was hoping for more of a hint at the mutant camps and sentinels, though.

jeffo46
11-18-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm actually looking forward to seeing it when it comes out next year. I don't see what all the big fuss is all about.

dx
11-26-2013, 03:14 AM
I'm actually looking forward to seeing it when it comes out next year. I don't see what all the big fuss is all about.

Just knowing Singer directed it is underwhelming. He's the M. Night Shyamalan of action/sci-fi films.

He can't shoot a decent action scene or produce visual effects to save his life.
He's only good at the talkie parts.

Superman Returns = $300 million budget = lifting a big giant kryptonite rock that should have killed him (Superman) within seconds. Said he couldn't pull off a krypton scene even though it was in the script.

P.S.
Did you see the photos of his Sentinels?

Rob Norton
11-26-2013, 02:20 PM
Just knowing Singer directed it is underwhelming. He's the M. Night Shyamalan of action/sci-fi films.

He can't shoot a decent action scene or produce visual effects to save his life.
He's only good at the talkie parts.

Superman Returns = $300 million budget = lifting a big giant kryptonite rock that should have killed him (Superman) within seconds. Said he couldn't pull off a krypton scene even though it was in the script.

P.S.
Did you see the photos of his Sentinels?

i think you are completely off your rocker here.
cant shoot a decent action scene? i dont know what you are watching but X2's masion invasion was spectacular and perfectly done. and like or hate superman returns, there wasnt a bad action scene in the whole show in terms of HOW it was shot. people may bitch about the story elements, but the action itself was just fine.
and he cant produce a decent visual effect? wtf are you talking about. every effect in superman returns was just as well done as any seen in any action movie ever, if not better. the city falling apart, the gattling gun on sups chest, the big boat being lifted out of the water and splitting in two, the AIRPLANE sequence? all were spectacularly done.

again, people may not like the story, but i dont see how you can make those statements and have any way to back them up.

now Man of Steel, while it had great effects everywhere, was a horribly stupid story and didnt feel like superman at all.

in short...i think Singer is an amazing director (tho i admit not everything he does is brilliant, like thta beanstalk flick)

but hes NOwhere near the joke that M. Night is.

rob

Mwynn
11-26-2013, 04:33 PM
http://www.thebentbullet.com/#!/full-article

Justice41
11-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Singer was not responsible but can take credit for the Mansion or White House scenes. He didn't shoot those, his 2nd did.

Bishop
11-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Singer was not responsible but can take credit for the Mansion or White House scenes. He didn't shoot those, his 2nd did.

...and those were the best scenes IMO

Khuth
12-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Aren't you excited that after Days of the Future Past they are doing X-Men: Apocalypse? Could we get another alternate X-Men movie with an AOA style storyline?

dx
12-05-2013, 11:54 PM
i think you are completely off your rocker here.
cant shoot a decent action scene? i dont know what you are watching but X2's masion invasion was spectacular and perfectly done. and like or hate superman returns, there wasnt a bad action scene in the whole show in terms of HOW it was shot. people may bitch about the story elements, but the action itself was just fine.
and he cant produce a decent visual effect? wtf are you talking about. every effect in superman returns was just as well done as any seen in any action movie ever, if not better. the city falling apart, the gattling gun on sups chest, the big boat being lifted out of the water and splitting in two, the AIRPLANE sequence? all were spectacularly done.

again, people may not like the story, but i dont see how you can make those statements and have any way to back them up.

now Man of Steel, while it had great effects everywhere, was a horribly stupid story and didnt feel like superman at all.

in short...i think Singer is an amazing director (tho i admit not everything he does is brilliant, like thta beanstalk flick)

but hes NOwhere near the joke that M. Night is.

rob

Rob ...my jab isn't at his ability to direct...it's his lack of ability with sci-fi action flicks. The most credible scenes to his credits were not even directed by him but by his second unit. Visually, in this genre, he's produced a lot of crap versus quality.

I'd just rather see a director whose strengths lie in special effects and action sequences and give that person an excellent script and top notch producers to compensate for any issues with handling the acting parts.

I'm sorry, but as a whole, X-men, X-men 2, Superman Returns, and Jack and the Beanstalk sucked. While parts of X2 were great, big chunks of the film were just plain bad.

Justice41
12-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Aren't you excited that after Days of the Future Past they are doing X-Men: Apocalypse? Could we get another alternate X-Men movie with an AOA style storyline?

Why Have Bishop and Blink in this unless Singer is trying to pull a Whedon and introduce Apocalypse. Cyclops will probably be the bad guy in this flick along with Beast.
Predicted this almost 2 months ago

Co.Inkadink
03-09-2014, 04:28 PM
New pic released from the movie!
Finally they embrace the costumes.
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5175/fnmr.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/i/fnmr.jpg/)

Angel
03-10-2014, 01:31 AM
Nailed it!

Slang Strong
03-10-2014, 11:52 AM
"From the Director of The Usual Suspects"

When they have to go back almost 20 years to 1995 to find your last good movie (that's nowhere near the same genre) that says everything that needs to be said.

Bishop
03-24-2014, 11:25 AM
New trailer looks much better...

JIU87bNQc7U

Duane Korslund
03-24-2014, 11:32 AM
If they can use this to fix the completely buggered (and idiotic) movie continuity, then I'll be impressed...trailer doesn't look too terrible...it should at least be entertaining. Still dont particularly like that they used DOFP title...its farther apart from the source material than it is similar.

Bishop
04-16-2014, 08:32 AM
And, now they have the 'Final' trailer:

gsjtg7m1MMM

I'm still not sold on this one. It looks better than it did initially, but I still get an X3 vibe off of it. I really hope I'm wrong.

Duane Korslund
04-16-2014, 09:06 AM
I dunno....the only thing worse than X3 was Spiderman 3...and this looks better than those 2 easily. Which I guess that could mean it could marginally suck and still be better.

Bishop
04-16-2014, 09:27 AM
I dunno....the only thing worse than X3 was Spiderman 3...and this looks better than those 2 easily. Which I guess that could mean it could marginally suck and still be better.

I agree. What Iran is that it looks like a lot of effects, but the action feels slow. It's the way Singer frames the shot I guess. Also, everything looks cool, but it doesn't look like Days of Future Past.

Duane Korslund
04-16-2014, 09:31 AM
I agree. What Iran is that it looks like a lot of effects, but the action feels slow. It's the way Singer frames the shot I guess. Also, everything looks cool, but it doesn't look like Days of Future Past.

I totally agree...I've had to divorce myself from thinking about Days of Future Past, because in most respects the tone of the movie is completely wrong. If it were named Xmen: Wolverines Wacky Adventure Through Time, I'd feel much better about it.

Justice41
04-16-2014, 10:28 PM
I still don't get why Wolvy has the gray hair yet Magneto and X look the same as they did in the first X-flick. This looks big and wide open which could be good or bad. When things are wide open the action looks cartoony like both Hulks fighting the Military. methinks Singer is overcompensating. Anyone tell me why Robots need to throw their arms back when using their eye or face energy blasts? I find it weird. They are doing it in this flick did it in Thor. It's like why does the giant CGI beast always roar when it confronts whatever? Animals use sound to get the prey moving or to flush em out or as a warning. Once close enough they just strike. Just stupid. A robot would just turn and fire, no gesticulation no emotional looking displays, nothing just cold, clinical, turn, see target, fire.

Angel
04-19-2014, 02:22 AM
Because Magneto is Ras Al Ghul and the Lazarus Pit and all that.

Evan Henry
04-19-2014, 01:14 PM
I think it looks pretty good, notwithstanding the aura of creep this latest Singer thing has given to the whole thing. James McAvoy seems to be doing a lot of walking, though. What's up with that? :huh:

Justice41
04-19-2014, 06:28 PM
I think it looks pretty good, notwithstanding the aura of creep this latest Singer thing has given to the whole thing. James McAvoy seems to be doing a lot of walking, though. What's up with that? :huh:

i suspect this is all aternative timeline stuff. Either that or X's long lost twin from X3 is being used as a host for X.

omega sentry
04-19-2014, 09:08 PM
I still don't get why Wolvy has the gray hair yet Magneto and X look the same as they did in the first X-flick. This looks big and wide open which could be good or bad. When things are wide open the action looks cartoony like both Hulks fighting the Military. methinks Singer is overcompensating. Anyone tell me why Robots need to throw their arms back when using their eye or face energy blasts? I find it weird. They are doing it in this flick did it in Thor. It's like why does the giant CGI beast always roar when it confronts whatever? Animals use sound to get the prey moving or to flush em out or as a warning. Once close enough they just strike. Just stupid. A robot would just turn and fire, no gesticulation no emotional looking displays, nothing just cold, clinical, turn, see target, fire.

Justice the expert on robots....specially ones with more than human AI. Seems like nothing has changed.

I do have to agree with wolverines look, however every one is young. Maybe rouge had something to do with it? They do have some tension in the x-men movies. Then again he does become a leader of the x-men. So maybe he wants to play the part by sporting a mature look....or maybe he might just like it.

Also with the resent discoveries and how magnetism benefits many aspects of health I'm surprised magneto would ever look old....

whats with the xmen franchise constantly destroying classic, established stories? I dont think I would mind if they didnt call this Days of Future Past....because this isnt Days of future past! I guess Kitty Pryde isnt muscular enough to go back in time O.o

oooi....nerd guide lines....not all comic translations work on movies.

X-men first class kicked a$$, this has the feel of first class so I'm hopeful. looks better than Cap America.

Bishop
04-19-2014, 10:27 PM
oooi....nerd guide lines....not all comic translations work on movies.

X-men first class kicked a$$, this has the feel of first class so I'm hopeful. looks better than Cap America.

I can accept Wolvie being the lead. I've never been a Rogue fan. I have to disagree about this feeling like First Class. To me it feels more like X2, but I don't think this will touch Cap 2.

Evan Henry
04-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Inhibitor collar (like in the camps) would cause Wolverine to age...

Moonrider
04-19-2014, 11:40 PM

It would also cause adamantium poisoning. I think he only lost his metal claws in The Wolverine, his adamantium bones were still there.

Evan Henry
04-20-2014, 12:57 AM
adamantium poisoning
Is that a thing? I don't remember that being a thing. Other characters sans healing abilitites have adamantium implants. Hammerhead and... uh... Hammerhead.

omega sentry
04-20-2014, 03:52 PM

ahh there you go...:carrot:

I can accept Wolvie being the lead. I've never been a Rogue fan. I have to disagree about this feeling like First Class. To me it feels more like X2, but I don't think this will touch Cap 2.

Only because you are looking at the cast of X-2 and cringing in disgust...

This is why on revamps they never recast a character no matter how beloved he is. In the end they will bring the baggage from the bad things on the other movie or show...

For example the story sucked on the green lanter but the characters were dead on...I liked sinestro, the rest of the green lantern corps, hell even even ryan Reynolds...

If they were to grab sinestro no matter how cool he is he would bring the fails of the movie. Had the story been darker and sinestro the villain we would have had another movie that fans would have loved.

Can you imagine them casting Michael Rosenbaum only the best lex to date on the batman, superman....rather than Jesse Eisenberg.

Bishop
04-20-2014, 04:56 PM
ahh there you go...:carrot:

Only because you are looking at the cast of X-2 and cringing in disgust...

Actually no... I like that cast. I just don't think Bryan Singer can direct a decent action/effects movie. First Class was excellent, but I don't know that this one will deliver as well.

omega sentry
04-22-2014, 04:39 PM
Actually no... I like that cast. I just don't think Bryan Singer can direct a decent action/effects movie. First Class was excellent, but I don't know that this one will deliver as well.

So Bryan singer is a caca pooh pooh head bagged.

Bishop
04-22-2014, 05:10 PM
So Bryan singer is a caca pooh pooh head bagged.

Sure, if you say so.

I liked his work on The Usual Suspects and Apt Pupil a lot.

dx
04-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Sure, if you say so.

I liked his work on The Usual Suspects and Apt Pupil a lot.

For the most part, no one questions if he can direct a mystery thriller. It's the fact that he can't do the following

-Action Scenes
-Fight Scenes
-Special Effects
-Character Designs (at least pick better people to design the stuff)
-Manage a big budget and get the most out of it

and that pretty much sums up all Sci-Fi, Comic Book, and Action Films.

Evan Henry
04-22-2014, 09:36 PM
For the most part, no one questions if he can direct a mystery thriller. It's the fact that he can't do the following

-Action Scenes
-Fight Scenes
-Special Effects
-Character Designs (at least pick better people to design the stuff)
-Manage a big budget and get the most out of it

and that pretty much sums up all Sci-Fi, Comic Book, and Action Films.

Who are these people, exactly? People who have never seen X-Men, X2, or First Class? :sure:

Well, okay, designs, yeah...

dx
04-22-2014, 09:40 PM
Who are these people, exactly? People who have never seen X-Men, X2, or First Class? :sure:

Well, okay, designs, yeah...

Singer didn't direct 1st Class, the White House and Mansion Scenes were filmed by the second unit director, not Singer, and did you watch X-Men?

Name one great action sequence other than the opening Magneto scene that technically isn't an action scene, just water and a fence getting bent out of shape.

Evan Henry
04-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Singer didn't direct 1st Class,I know. He was exec on it, though, and it was the first good X-Men movie since the last one he directed, so I'm happy to attribute its non-suck to him.

Name one great action sequence other than the opening Magneto scene that technically isn't an action scene, just water and a fence getting bent out of shape.

I see what you're getting at. Magneto ripping open the train was pretty good, though, and the Wolverine/Mystique fight was... decent.

Evan Henry
04-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Now with more bewbage. (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/29/x-men-days-of-future-past-has-earned-its-pg-13-with-sci-fi-violence-nudity-and-language/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

Also, I checked: Adamantium poisoning is a thing.

jeffo46
04-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Knock Singer all you want, I saw the trailer and can't wait to go see this. I think it has the potential to be the best X-film ever.

Bishop
04-30-2014, 04:53 PM
I have to admit this is a pretty cool scene. I'm actually starting to be slightly optimistic about this movie...

mT9eyz7WKwY

Duane Korslund
04-30-2014, 05:01 PM
Its got Mystiques uber limberness and Peter Dinkledge...of course its going to be awesome!

Justice41
04-30-2014, 07:10 PM
She must form very small legs or something when she slides or some sorta reptile like scale, cause she sure can slide on stuff the body just doesn't slide well on. My Theory for this flick is that Because of the inconsistencies between X1-3 and First Class and Both Wolverine flicks they needed a reset. The Wolverine in this flick is not the same wolverine. I believe when they send him back to the 60's, early 70's the timeline the Future X-men live in is created. So the X-men from the 3 movies don't exist. Otherwise how is it Wolverine is even older in the future yet X, Mags and even the Kids aren't ancient. I suspect the Future is really now, just in a dif timeline created by sending Wolverine into the past. So in reality they can re-inrtoduce to the audience all sorts of characters that were poorly handled in the other flicks like Phoenix Cyclops and Nightcrawler. This flick is a reset without being a reboot.
Just my view solely from the Trailers.

Bishop
04-30-2014, 08:10 PM
That's what I've assumed they were doing for some time now. They want to 'fix' things so they can build an Avengers-like universe.

Justice41
05-01-2014, 04:11 AM
What's funny is if X-men or just Wolverine was in Marvels hands right now Wolverine would be wearing a costume. If they can make a Cap costume look cool you just know they could do as well with a variation of a wolverine costume. Only way Fox can do like Marvel is doing is to get solid FF and X-men movies going and come up with a way to have the skrulls be a threat and bring the X-men and FF together in a huge flick. Only reason I see for an Apcalypse story is to get Cable and X-force going as well as introduce Archangel and possibly bring back Nightcrawler and Sabretooth. I wonder if fox has rights to the British heroes and Alpha Flight? If so that's 2 more possible franchises to crank up.
Even though this was cut from the Wolverine flick the ending is a bit weird because it kinda hints that Wolverine went on some wacky adventures with his sidekick. I suspect they did the whole Wolverine and Kitty thing. But Magneto and X appearing doesn't quite jive with DOFP. Guess just gotta wait to se if they address that or just ignore it.
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/l/t1.0-9/10322810_844603088886441_2690272994660844015_n.jpg

cheeseisgood1918
05-01-2014, 04:50 AM
The Wolverine in this flick is not the same wolverine. I believe when they send him back to the 60's, early 70's the timeline the Future X-men live in is created. So the X-men from the 3 movies don't exist. Otherwise how is it Wolverine is even older in the future yet X, Mags and even the Kids aren't ancient. I suspect the Future is really now, just in a dif timeline created by sending Wolverine into the past.
:huh: I may need a diagram for this. :nyah:

Moonrider
05-02-2014, 03:23 AM
The Wolverine in this flick is not the same wolverine. I believe when they send him back to the 60's, early 70's the timeline the Future X-men live in is created. So the X-men from the 3 movies don't exist. Otherwise how is it Wolverine is even older in the future yet X, Mags and even the Kids aren't ancient. I suspect the Future is really now, just in a dif timeline created by sending Wolverine into the past.

Except that we saw 'original trilogy' Wolvie gets picked up by Old Mags and X right before The Wolverine ended, which supposed to link directly to DOFP. He didn't have grey hair then, so that must have happened afterwards before he was sent to the '70s, which I may add is a 'Quantum Leap' kind of thing instead of a Terminator style time travel. Old Wolvie from oh I don't know maybe a few years from now is inhabiting younger Wolvie's body in the past. The theory that Wolvie's aging was accelerated because of whatevereason makes more sense in the context of the story.

Justice41
05-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Except that we saw 'original trilogy' Wolvie gets picked up by Old Mags and X right before The Wolverine ended, which supposed to link directly to DOFP. He didn't have grey hair then, so that must have happened afterwards before he was sent to the '70s, which I may add is a 'Quantum Leap' kind of thing instead of a Terminator style time travel. Old Wolvie from oh I don't know maybe a few years from now is inhabiting younger Wolvie's body in the past. The theory that Wolvie's aging was accelerated because of whatevereason makes more sense in the context of the story.

He may have been picked up and had his claws re-sheathed by Magneto, but how many years from that time which was the same as when the movie was made, till we see them with the X in the floating chair and all the other X-men who haven't aged at all. 5- 10 years? 10-20 yrs? wouldn't storm and everyone else become old farts and mags and X old decrepit bed ridden 100 year olds? I think the Meeting in The Wolverine was supposed to be a tie in but it may just have created another discrepancy and inconsistency. The weird thing about sending Wolverines mind back to his 60's body is he hasn't gone through the Adamantium bonding process yet so if his mind knows all this and he's in his younger body, will he walk the same path and go through the same stuff just to get the metal added or does he get the metal added by Magneto later on. With Wolverines mind full of future Knowledge wouldn't he just pull a Biff and go get rich and have lottsa ho's?

midknight
05-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Here's the series timeline.
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140203204946/xmenmovies/images/4/48/X-Men-Days-Of-Future-Past-Movie-Timeline-Infographic-DOFP.jpg

Justice41
05-02-2014, 06:06 PM
heh that's classic. Still wonder how only Wolverine was captured and locked up by The Japanese and Sabretooth wasn't.

omega sentry
05-17-2014, 10:24 PM
All existences most go final sell...to the highest bitter....

going once
going twice
sold....to the gentleman on the blue mega suit, no not Thanos the other guy...apocalypse, yeah...fix the time line.

jeffo46
05-24-2014, 03:30 PM
My wife and I just came back from seeing the film and IMO, it was definitely the best film of the X-Men franchise ever !!!! Knock Bryan Singer all you want but, I thought he outdid himself with this one.

Bishop
05-24-2014, 04:05 PM
Word of mouth is great for this movie. I may have to see it this weekend.

dx
05-24-2014, 04:18 PM
My wife and I just came back from seeing the film and IMO, it was definitely the best film of the X-Men franchise ever !!!! Knock Bryan Singer all you want but, I thought he outdid himself with this one.

You are watching a different film than other people. I gave it an Egh!

I'm giving out spoilers....but Magneto is a complete dick.

Justice41
05-24-2014, 11:10 PM
Saw the flick today, Yawner..... It was basically First Class amped up. The QS scene was great though. Wanted out of the theater as quickly as possible and didn't even bother waiting for the credit scene. My kid hated the flick, he was bored and doing other things.

DarkKni9hT
05-25-2014, 07:06 PM
You are watching a different film than other people. I gave it an Egh!

I'm giving out spoilers....but Magneto is a complete dick.

But.... Magneto is a dick. So that fits.

I saw this yesterday and thought it was a great effort. Some little nitpicks (and a huge one at how Kitty just suddenly had the ability to send minds through time) but otherwise a really enjoyable show.

Thought it was really funny how they designed a completely new and funky suit for Wolverine for him just to lie on a table.

Angel
05-25-2014, 10:07 PM
I was wondering if Quicksilver's music sounded slowmo. I also thought that it was a pretty dick move for Hank to have developed a serum to allow ProfX to walk but didn't share it with the rest of the world.

Justice41
05-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Unless those old Walkman's can play at faster than the speed of a bullet I doubt it. He would have heard maybe one letter of one word and one chord of the music . Just surprised he didn't start friction fires when he touched stuff.

Moonrider
05-26-2014, 12:50 AM
Unless those old Walkman's can play at faster than the speed of a bullet I doubt it. He would have heard maybe one letter of one word and one chord of the music . Just surprised he didn't start friction fires when he touched stuff.

I think with old walkmans you can hit 'play' and 'ffwd' at the same time to hear the music play really fast. Don't know if the track will sync with Quicksilver's speed, but the bullets were still moving moderately so maybe it can. The friction thing gets overlooked by a lot of sci-fi and superhero movies, though I've seen it mentioned and demonstrated in the Cyborg 009 anime. But in that anime the speedster cyborg was having a malfunction which made his perspective time slowed down almost to a halt. Again I don't really know the exact science but I guess Quicksilver would have to be a lot faster than that to set things on fire simply by touch.

Baron Spider
05-26-2014, 01:18 AM
The Walkman was released in 1979. This movie takes place in 1973.

Moonrider
05-26-2014, 01:38 AM
The Walkman was released in 1979. This movie takes place in 1973.

The pre-Sony Walkman personal stereo was also invented no sooner than 1977, so the whole thing is basically Hollywood anachronism. But then again, this is a time travel story and there were no actual mutants in real life 1973 either.

Angel
05-26-2014, 02:01 AM
Spoiler BTW

Forgetting any continuity or anachronisms...

We could get a "No Prize" by saying that it was some custom gear that Quicksilver made for his own personal entertainment.

And that Hank's miracle walky serum only worked on mutants.

Now to think of an excuse for why they didn't try and keep Quicksilver on board with stopping Mystique seeing as how he was faster than a speeding bullet and all that. Whisk her away to a safe location and be like "look dawg we have word from the future that you gotta stay underground or sentinels will get the power to look like (oops I mean actually HAVE) the powers of other mutants. So like get a job in Hollywood as a stunt double or something."

Also why is Mystique the lynchpin instead of Rogue? Mystique just replicates form Rogue replicates function..

Why does Kitty Pryde all of a sudden have this extremely unique and necessary to plot power to send your psyche back into a younger version of yourself? Why not just use another mutant?

How stupid and uninspired was Bishops death? A mutant that absorbs and redirects energy killed by too much energy.

Moonrider
05-26-2014, 02:26 AM
Also why is Mystique the lynchpin instead of Rogue? Mystique just replicates form Rogue replicates function..

Well, Rogue wasn't born yet. Darwin's powers actually makes more sense to use than Mystique's. But unfortunately, he was killed in the First Class movie by... over-evolving himself? I'm not really sure. It was pretty stupid the way they killed him off. That sad token black mutant character.

Why does Kitty Pryde all of a sudden have this extremely unique and necessary to plot power to send your psyche back into a younger version of yourself? Why not just use another mutant?

Because Ellen Page.

How stupid and uninspired was Bishops death? A mutant that absorbs and redirects energy killed by too much energy.

Yep. Ditto with Darwin, as I mentioned.

Also, bone claw Wolverine sucked.

Rob Norton
05-26-2014, 03:11 AM
Also, bone claw Wolverine sucked.

Bone claw wolverine has ALWAYS sucked, since they first decided to add that fucking lame idea all the way back when magneto pulled his metal out of his body. "Oh look, he just happened to always have claws, they were just bone". Sooooo stupid. Worst idea to ever happen to the character (this side of that whole "Romulus" idea. Gah....)

Justice41
05-26-2014, 11:53 AM
I like the Bone claw thing If you look closely at Wolvy's burnt body in the DOFP comics you'll see wolvy's arms had some sorta cyborg thing going on where the claws were housed. So even back then they weren't completely sure how to handle the claws. Wolverine was basically a Cyborg up till whenever.
http://i.stack.imgur.com/gtx1j.jpg

DarkKni9hT
05-26-2014, 12:03 PM
I like the Bone claw thing If you look closely at Wolvy's burnt body in the DOFP comics you'll see wolvy's arms had some sorta cyborg thing going on where the claws were housed. So even back then they weren't completely sure how to handle the claws. Wolverine was basically a Cyborg up till whenever.
http://i.stack.imgur.com/gtx1j.jpg

Actually, not quite so. The claws were originally (way back first appearance originally) attachments to his gloves. Then, when the character took off somewhat, the notion was that he had had "bionic housings" implanted in his forearms (assuming during the WeaponX program) to retract the claws into. Not true cyborg shit, more like an internal switchblade with the handle inside the arm and the button wired to his brain.

Bone claw Wolvie was absurd, is absurd and will always be absurd. Just a stupid idea to keep him dangerous after Mags yanked his metal away. I guess nobody thought of the claws issue when they dreamt up that plot point and they had to backpedal quickly to keep Logan "interesting". BLARGH!!

DarkKni9hT
05-26-2014, 12:10 PM
On another note, I got a real kick out of Singers two part apology for all the Storm hate throughout the series.

Part I: Finally a real kickass use of her powers when she unleashes the lightning storm on the incoming Sentinels. That was truly cool and well done.

Part II: Realizing that Part I would never be enough to excuse the appalling mediocrity that Halle Berry brought to the role, let's have her skewered epically and tossed away like a used booger.

Part II is when I accepted the apology. :p

Rob Norton
05-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Actually, not quite so. The claws were originally (way back first appearance originally) attachments to his gloves. Then, when the character took off somewhat, the notion was that he had had "bionic housings" implanted in his forearms (assuming during the WeaponX program) to retract the claws into. Not true cyborg shit, more like an internal switchblade with the handle inside the arm and the button wired to his brain.

Bone claw Wolvie was absurd, is absurd and will always be absurd. Just a stupid idea to keep him dangerous after Mags yanked his metal away. I guess nobody thought of the claws issue when they dreamt up that plot point and they had to backpedal quickly to keep Logan "interesting". BLARGH!!

im so glad someone agrees with me that the idea was stupid. it just made sense to me that logans powers as a mutant were heightened senses and rapid healing. so some government dickholes got the idea to make a super solider of some type and what do they have to work with? super healing mutant and an unbreakable metal. mesh the two and you have a badass. NOW, have blades in his hands that retract as a weapon, and bam, you have a superbad ass. the claws as a weapon ADDED to him was perfect..

wolvies origin was just fine as that,
hes old as shit, no one, himself included, know where he came from...and he had the weapon X procedure done to him and made him who he is...and it wiped his memory. I think THAT is a perfectly fine origin....they mystery mixed with the weapon X stuff..and leave it at that. no need to make it SOOOO convoluted and ridiculous... like..he ALWAYS had bone claws...

Angel
05-26-2014, 08:29 PM
There was a scene in X-Men annual #10 when the X-Men were transformed into the X-Kids at an age that was pre-mutation by Mojo and the little version of Wolvie popped his claws and said something like "My claws ain't got nuthin to do with no stupid powers."

Justice41
05-26-2014, 10:07 PM
There was a scene in X-Men annual #10 when the X-Men were transformed into the X-Kids at an age that was pre-mutation by Mojo and the little version of Wolvie popped his claws and said something like "My claws ain't got nuthin to do with no stupid powers."

Imagine if they had done that right, Wolvy would have become a baby but his skeleton would have stayed the same height. He'd be a 4 month old stretched around a adamantium skeleton of a middle aged man.

Angel
05-26-2014, 11:34 PM
Yeah but "magic".

http://i.imgur.com/tqboLGP.jpg

Justice41
05-27-2014, 01:10 AM
Heh, when I started asking myself stuff like that is when i decided to stop buying comics back in like 83. Picked e m up again in the early 90's as I was trying to get into the comicbook biz, so needed to know what what was.

Moonrider
05-27-2014, 02:12 AM
im so glad someone agrees with me that the idea was stupid. it just made sense to me that logans powers as a mutant were heightened senses and rapid healing. so some government dickholes got the idea to make a super solider of some type and what do they have to work with? super healing mutant and an unbreakable metal. mesh the two and you have a badass. NOW, have blades in his hands that retract as a weapon, and bam, you have a superbad ass. the claws as a weapon ADDED to him was perfect..

wolvies origin was just fine as that,
hes old as shit, no one, himself included, know where he came from...and he had the weapon X procedure done to him and made him who he is...and it wiped his memory. I think THAT is a perfectly fine origin....they mystery mixed with the weapon X stuff..and leave it at that. no need to make it SOOOO convoluted and ridiculous... like..he ALWAYS had bone claws...

Well, I don't really hate the bone claws but in the movie it shows that without his adamantium Wolvie in a fight with mutant hunting robots is pretty much just as useful as Mr. Furious from Mystery Men.

dx
05-27-2014, 02:43 PM
Well, I don't really hate the bone claws but in the movie it shows that without his adamantium Wolvie in a fight with mutant hunting robots is pretty much just as useful as Mr. Furious from Mystery Men.

Bwahahahaha......

I loved that movie....I only wished that somewhere in the end he would really lose it and actually have powers...like big time powers.

dx
05-27-2014, 02:45 PM
Why would anybody be friends with Magneto....he's a dick of epic proportions and never does anything redeeming. He screws people over and over again all the way back to X1.

Co.Inkadink
05-29-2014, 07:34 AM
PP3sGL2bPwo&

Rob Norton
05-31-2014, 01:37 AM
So i just finally saw it. Enjoyed the shit out of it. Thought it kinda started slow but it quickly righted itself. Quicksilver was awesome. Hugh jackman again reminded me of why hes so good. But fassbender and macavoy stole the shit outta the show. Everytime either of them was on screen , I was watching brilliant acting. They were amazing. And yeah , brian singer ...hes a great director.

Steven Forbes
05-31-2014, 01:54 AM
So i just finally saw it. Enjoyed the shit out of it. Thought it kinda started slow but it quickly righted itself. Quicksilver was awesome. Hugh jackman again reminded me of why hes so good. But fassbender and macavoy stole the shit outta the show. Everytime either of them was on screen , I was watching brilliant acting. They were amazing. And yeah , brian singer ...hes a great director.

I agree with everything said here except the last sentence.

If he were a great director, Superman Returns would have been a much better movie.

cheeseisgood1918
05-31-2014, 03:55 AM

If he were a great director, Superman Returns would have been a much better movie.

As bad as Superman Returns was (and it was dogshit), I find it hard to blame him for it.

Look, his Superman is the Christopher Reeve Superman. SR was his love letter to those films. In his mind, I think he just wanted to make a continuation of that world. Of course it was gonna suck. As many fond memories as I have of those films, there was a lot of lameness to them. And I don't just mean the special effects, I don't fault those because they did the best they could with the tools they had available at the time. I mean plotwise? Spinning the world back word to reverse time? The S shield sticker trap? All of Superman IV?

If I were given the keys to the kingdom and told I could make a Superman movie, I would make the Superman movie I wanted to see, and I think that's exactly what he did. I don't think that makes him a bad director. Maybe a man with somewhat poor taste in certain things.

Steven Forbes
05-31-2014, 04:06 AM
Sorry. Movies are like comics: you gotta know what the market is looking for.

The market wasn't looking for a Christopher Reeve impersonation. They weren't looking for a land-obsessed Luthor. We have moved past that. We wanted to see Superman fight someone worthy.

And Superman IV was all Chris Reeve. He wrote that story. At least he fought someone with powers...

Co.Inkadink
05-31-2014, 07:14 AM

Every Director has his bad films. Not all Spielberg or Hitchcock films are great. Pick any director and there's a few bad apples in the bunch.

I loved X-men DOFP BTW. I know it totally screwed with comic continuity and the continuity of every previous X-men movie but it was really fun for me.

cheeseisgood1918
05-31-2014, 12:36 PM
Sorry. Movies are like comics: you gotta know what the market is looking for.

The market wasn't looking for a Christopher Reeve impersonation. They weren't looking for a land-obsessed Luthor. We have moved past that. We wanted to see Superman fight someone worthy.

And Superman IV was all Chris Reeve. He wrote that story. At least he fought someone with powers...

I don't disagree with any of that, but it's all tangential to my point.

It doesn't matter who was responsible for which Superman movie, my point is that was the bedrock he was using to build his story, and it was shakey at best.

And yes, that IS what we were wanting, but he wanted to make his Superman film and that's what he did. From a business standpoint, do you want a director who knows what the market wants, and delivers that? Absolutely!

From an artistic standpoint, he made his vision of the Superman he grew up with and loved, and I can respect that, even if I don't agree with it. I guess it depends on what you consider to be good qualities in a director.

Steven Forbes
05-31-2014, 03:06 PM
Someone should have stopped him, from the story standpoint. Before it even went to scripting.

The conversation should have been akin to this:

"Bryan, the people have already seen Luthor. The people want to see Superman fight someone with powers. It's been 20 years, and technology has leaped ahead. It's time."

"But, I really want to make my movie. It's got--"

"it's got Luthor, Bryan. Here are your choices: reboot it, or don't do it. Which is it going to be? Superman, or back to the X-Men?"

That's how the conversation should have went. The studio should have said that, and then stuck to their guns. Because SR doesn't work on a lot of levels, and that's a lot of time invested playing with other people's money.

Co.Inkadink
05-31-2014, 03:44 PM
Someone should have stopped him, from the story standpoint. Before it even went to scripting.

"Bryan, the people have already seen Luthor. The people want to see Superman fight someone with powers. It's been 20 years, and technology has leaped ahead. It's time."

"it's got Luthor, Bryan. Here are your choices: reboot it, or don't do it. Which is it going to be? Superman, or back to the X-Men?"

That's how the conversation should have went. The studio should have said that, and then stuck to their guns. Because SR doesn't work on a lot of levels, and that's a lot of time invested playing with other people's money.That conversation NEVER happens. It's always "You want to remake the entire universe in your image and change characters sex, ethnicity, and entire motivations and personalities?" PLEASE DO!

Steven Forbes
05-31-2014, 04:03 PM
That conversation NEVER happens. It's always "You want to remake the entire universe in your image and change characters sex, ethnicity, and entire motivations and personalities?" PLEASE DO!

That's only for reboots of things that haven't been updated in years. The Honeymooners. I'm a black man, and I saw no reason whatsoever to make the Kramden's black. I guess they couldn't find a fat, white, older comic to make the movie around, so they got Cedrick the Entertainer to do it.

Otherwise, my conversation happens all the time. A version of it just happened over Ant-Man. A version of it happened over Thor: The Dark World. It should have happened for SR.

cheeseisgood1918
05-31-2014, 04:33 PM

That's how the conversation should have went. The studio should have said that, and then stuck to their guns. Because SR doesn't work on a lot of levels, and that's a lot of time invested playing with other people's money.

Again, I agree completely. It's one (of the very few) situations where producer intervention probably would have been beneficial to the final product.

At that point however, he was the golden boy. He had already launched a hugely successful franchise in the X-Men, and chose to abandon that property because he loved Superman.

I'm sure he was either going to make the movie his way, or not at all. As I said, he was a hot commodity, so the studio probably wanted to keep him happy.

Co.Inkadink
05-31-2014, 05:28 PM
That's only for reboots of things that haven't been updated in years. The Honeymooners. I'm a black man, and I saw no reason whatsoever to make the Kramden's black. I guess they couldn't find a fat, white, older comic to make the movie around, so they got Cedrick the Entertainer to do it.

Otherwise, my conversation happens all the time. A version of it just happened over Ant-Man. A version of it happened over Thor: The Dark World. It should have happened for SR.
X-men wasn't a reboot or update and it started out with characters being different ages and relationships from the beginning. It was Bryan Singer's X-men from day one.

Steven Forbes
05-31-2014, 05:56 PM
Different ages and relationships aren't different sexes and races.

And, really, there weren't that many different relationships that mattered in X-Men.

Things get changed from book to film all the time, generally because not everything translates well from book to film. (Generally.)

There wasn't one relevant change in the X-Men movies that actually broke the story.

cheeseisgood1918
05-31-2014, 07:10 PM
Different ages and relationships aren't different sexes and races.

And, really, there weren't that many different relationships that mattered in X-Men.

Things get changed from book to film all the time, generally because not everything translates well from book to film. (Generally.)

There wasn't one relevant change in the X-Men movies that actually broke the story.

Good point. I would say that the relationships in X-Men were more for thematic purposes than anything.

You have to put the Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean Grey love triangle in the create conflict between Wolverine and Scott. Wolverine as a kind of a big brother figure to the younger teammates (in the case of the films, Rogue and Iceman), Professor X as the patriarch of the family etc...

Though, I do think it was Singer's world that was crafted until Matthew Vaughn came along. But I think Vaughn and Singer's world's fit together nicely. I'll just try to forget about the Ratner abortion.

Bishop
06-02-2014, 12:34 AM
Can anyone tell me how Magneto was able to control the Sentinels? He sheathed them in metal, but that would only allow him to destroy them. Did they show how he overrode their programing so they would obey him? That was the most glaring plot hole to me...

Angel
06-02-2014, 12:39 AM
He exploited some flaw the found while studying the schematic and rewired them. Sounds easy but according to Wiki "He is a genius with competence in various fields of advanced science, especially in genetic manipulation, particle physics, engineering, and other fields of technology. He has engineered advanced weaponry, space stations, superpowered humanoid lifeforms, devices that generate volcanoes and earthquakes, devices that block telepathy, and devices that can nullify all mutant powers except for his own. He has reconstructed computerized devices from memory."

Bishop
06-02-2014, 08:40 AM
Okay. I forgot about the scene where he analyzed the schematics. That probably is what they were going for. However, rewiring the Sentinel would not change its programming. The AI would be at the software level. Oh, well. I still enjoyed the movie. That just really bugged me for some reason.

Slang Strong
06-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Can anyone tell me how Magneto was able to control the Sentinels? He sheathed them in metal, but that would only allow him to destroy them. Did they show how he overrode their programing so they would obey him? That was the most glaring plot hole to me...

I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I watched it this weekend. They really never explained how jamming metal rods into the Sentinels gave him complete control over them. I kind of glossed over it because I actually enjoyed the film a lot more than I expected, but I had those same exact thoughts when he took control of the Sentinels.

omega sentry
06-04-2014, 05:39 PM
electromagnetic transmissions waves :rolleyes: