PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitors and Lettering

cyxodus
10-22-2013, 12:38 PM
I just got a second monitor and have been experimenting with lettering with two monitors.
The left is for the actual lettering and the right (portrait orientation) is to see the full page preview.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7389/10423497094_f4cab49cbb_o.jpg

eDuke
10-22-2013, 01:37 PM
I wanna have a two monitor setup eventually (when I can spring for it). I wonder if you'd be able to have the script and the Illustrator screen on their own screens. This shouldn't be a problem, right? Maybe even a movie playing the background. :p

cyxodus
10-22-2013, 04:01 PM
That's totally doable and you should do it. Dual monitors felt odd at first but I'm getting use to it. Especially when I create a game with the Unreal Development Kit.

I went by my state's surplus store and picked up a decent monitor for $40. Beware that it's luck of the draw on how good the screen is. Mine had a few minor issues but I don't notice it.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3827/10426613796_1626decd6b_o.jpg

JimCampbell
10-22-2013, 05:41 PM
I run my Cintiq off a MacBook Pro, so the laptop provides a second monitor. I run Illustrator on the main screen and keep all the secondary stuff — Word, FTP software, the calendar I use to track the progress of my work — on the laptop screen.

Don't think I could go back to working on a single monitor now!

That said, I don't think I could waste the second screen on a full page preview — what's wrong with hitting CMD-0 …?

Cheers

Jim

Thomas Mauer
10-23-2013, 04:12 AM
Hell yeah, multi monitor is the best!

Not counting the Cintiq, a 3 monitor setup is great. It lets you move all your Illustrator/PS/InDesign tabs off of the main screen so you have more room to work with. With a 12" Cintiq in the mix, all you have to do is dock the Cintiq in below the main monitor to the right, so you have access to the vertical scroll bar. Moving between the main and Cintiq with a mouse is very natural even with the smaller Cintiq screen.

After two 7 year old Samsung 22" died on me recently I got 2 BenQ BL2411PT, 24". They are IPS panels in 16:10 format which gives a bit more vertical space than 16:9 (1920x1200 pixels). While I haven't been able to calibrate them with a Spyder3Elite, they're pretty damn close to perfect calibration out of the box, so I can highly recommend them. They cost around 260 Euro a pop right now, so they're pretty affordable too. Well, $370 on Amazon, so YMMV.

Gonzogoose
10-23-2013, 09:40 AM
I love the 2-monitor setup. For a while, I was sharing a computer with my brother and so we used both our monitors on the one system. When I got a new tower, I had to go back to one monitor and it was a rough transition for the first week. heh. It is a little awkward going from one way to the other, but I'd prefer having a 2-3 monitor setup if I could afford it.

Symson
10-23-2013, 10:41 AM
I've bee using a two monitor set- up for a few years noe and I enoy not being crammmed in by the one.

Bishop
10-23-2013, 11:49 AM
I've had a two monitor setup at home and at work for about 7 years. I'd have a very hard time going back to just one.

Onomonopeeon
10-23-2013, 02:18 PM
One screen does the trick for me. I'm on a 15'' MacBook Pro. But I could see the benefit of having more room for my Appearance, Graphic Styles, Symbols, Brushes, and Actions pallet.

Piekos
10-23-2013, 04:19 PM
I run a 24" iMac with a 24HD Cintiq. Best setup I've ever had.

~N