PDA

View Full Version : Scripting Question

Max Romaine
10-22-2013, 01:58 AM
Let's say you want to add a page at the very beginning of your script before the actual story starts for a quote or brief intro or something that is nothing but text. What's the official word on how to go about this? Would the first page be considered an intro page, the next page where the story and art actually begin being page one? Or would you list the first page with the text as page one, making the first page with art page two?

ColbyAddison
10-22-2013, 02:46 AM
On the scripts I've read, Page One is the typical "previously..." It's mostly used as a recap on monthly books. Either way, the first thing a reader will read/see is page one. Not counting the credits of course. Not all pages need words, but not all pages need pictures either.

Newt
10-22-2013, 11:41 AM
It seems to me it would be important to keep your page numbers lined up with the actual construction of the book (assuming this is for print). You know, odd numbers on the right, even on the left. If your text goes on the inside front cover, label it as such, if it's on the first actual page, call it page 1.

Max Romaine
10-22-2013, 03:51 PM
If your text goes on the inside front cover, label it as such, if it's on the first actual page, call it page 1.

Therein lies the problem. I have no way of knowing if the intro page will be the actual first page of the printed book or not. The plan is to send it out as a submission package to publishers. So I want it to be the first page right before the story begins but it may not be the first page right inside the cover. There might be an ad or book info or whatever. But the text is most definitely a part of the story so I think for now I'll label that as page one and go from there. Thanks for the input guys.

lpenha
10-22-2013, 05:08 PM
I think there's no set standard. Where do YOU want it to be? If you want it to be on page 1 (right side), I would just number it page 1. If you'd like it to start on the right side, say, the back side of the cover, I would name it intro page or something similar. My reasoning for this is if it's page 1, on the right side, then, it'll take up one of the 22 pages you have, while if it's on the back of the cover, it won't.
Anyway, I think the important thing is to make it clear what you want and to make sure you are consistent within your own script(s).

The Comic Dr
10-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Simply, if the intro/quote etc is the first part of your story - that is, it's in the script - then it should be page 1. Don't worry about the printed book. Focus on the story.

If I'm getting what you mean then you'd script it like this.

PAGE 1

No panels on this page. Just text.

NARRATION:

In the year 2013 there were many comic writers who needed advice...

PAGE 2

PANEL 1

A COMIC WRITER sits scribbling feverishly at a desk. Her hand is a blur, sweat flying to all corners of the room...

Cheers

Max Romaine
10-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Good points guys. Thanks. I appreciate all the feedback. :)