PDA

View Full Version : NOT Using Illustratotor - Open Source / Freeware thoughts?

Kep!
10-16-2013, 11:03 AM
I've been asked to teach lettering and graphic design at a local high school, but they don't have Illustrator and aren't likely to get it. They DO Have PS CS4 (?!?) but are unlikely to extend the license due to budget cuts. SO! I'm looking for Illustrator replacements. I've started playing with Inkscape (I do not dig the interface so far)...but I'm up for any and all other suggestions. Thoughts?

eDuke
10-16-2013, 11:59 AM
I remember back in the caveman days they used Coral Draw. Wasn't that a program popular in schools?

Duane Korslund
10-16-2013, 12:13 PM
I remember back in the caveman days they used Coral Draw. Wasn't that a program popular in schools?

I was going to suggest that, but I dont think its freeware...

Evan Henry
10-16-2013, 12:54 PM
I love Inkscape like a child of my own, but the interface is definitely clunky. If your students haven't used any vector programs before, there will be a hell o' a learning curve on it. As far as freeware goes, though, it may be your only option (Corel Draw is not freeware).

The school should be able to acquire a multi-system license for purchase programs very easily, though. If they don't want to spring for Illustrator (or Manga Studio or something similarly awful), you don't have very many options at all, and that's a sign of their incompetence, rather than any shortcoming on your part. Worse comes to worse, you could just use Photoshop.

khperkins
10-16-2013, 02:06 PM
...you could just use Photoshop.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
I'd definitely use Inkscape before Photoshop for lettering. The interface is kind of clunky, but it has some good tools, and decent text tools.

Kep!
10-17-2013, 10:57 AM
I was afraid of that. PS is horrible for lettering...though CS4 is less horrible than others. I may just have to learn Inkscape...ewwww....

Ah well, thank you!

L Jamal
10-17-2013, 12:47 PM
hand lettering

Scribbly
10-17-2013, 04:14 PM
hand lettering

Anathema! :w00t:

cyxodus
10-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Create some handouts for the class to hand letter and then show them what digital lettering is.