PDA

View Full Version : This Is So True... Comixology Submit NYCC 2013 Panel

superggraphics
10-11-2013, 12:04 AM
I've posted this in the creator community thread but thought it had an appropriate place here as well...

Pay attention now because this is the part that most comic book creators' believe they can do themselves to save money but it just doesn't work... Read On and Weep...

Q: Could you unpack what you do when you review?

Roberts: What is our review process? Bad PDF files are a huge issue. We’ve started putting up a guide, to avoid a stained-glass effect that’s caused by too much compression. You have to change the settings in Acrobat Pro, for instance. We’re looking for professional level quality. We’ve pushed back on books that use Comic Sands as font. We had a book come in, a classic Marvel homage, and Sands brought the quality down. I advised them to change the font via Blambot. It looked a million times better.

We’re looking for good production quality, no blue lines.

There are two websites: Comic Craft, with free fonts, but a good font is worth it. The website Comicbookfonts.com. Blambot has a couple of free fonts being used in the industry.

Fialkov: The number one problem on new books is that they don’t hire a letterer, least expensive, but most important. Your pro-tip for the day is hire a professional letterer.

'Nuff Said, G

paul brian deberry
10-11-2013, 12:59 AM
Thanks for sharing it AGAIN and tossing in the "Hire Me" pimp.

The guys here understand the importance of a professional letterer. Preaching to the converted.

This brings up an interesting question... can a poor letterer undermine great story and art?

hmmm... poll time!

edit: ah, nuts, i can't make a poll.

superggraphics
10-11-2013, 01:28 AM
Not pimping or preaching to the converted, although I know that's what it may seem like... Believe it or not the lettering jobs I've gotten from this site came from this lettering thread, not the other one(s) I've posted in... Just tossed that in as an aside as I'm actually asses to elbows in work to date (but you never know who might come knocking, maybe even a fellow pro who needs an assist now and then)... G

Update: I've removed my “Hire Me” pimp... G

MBirkhofer
10-11-2013, 11:13 AM
yeah. I've seen some poor lettering jobs that really kill the page. Made me wish I had the time to do it myself.