PDA

View Full Version : Lettering Portfolio

Onomonopeeon
10-01-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure if this is a topic that has been dealt with before, if so feel free to delete this but please point me in the right direction.
I'd like to put together a portfolio in hopes of finding some freelance work. I love Aspen Comics and have no intentions of leaving them, but as a freelancer its never a good idea to have all your eggs in one basket so to speak.
So I'm curious, what makes a great lettering portfolio? How many pages in total should it be? What aspects of my/our job should be showcased? More importantly, what should not be in it or included? I'm curious for your input. Thanks!

eDuke
10-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Hey, Josh. Are you talking about creating a "printed" portfolio to send to publishers, or just a online portfolio?

Onomonopeeon
10-02-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm thinking online to start, but versatile enough to print if need be. Maybe have a core of 10-12 pieces that would be showcased in both mediums with some extras to then be included online only?

eDuke
10-03-2013, 12:13 PM
I think you're on the right track.

Jason Arthur
10-10-2013, 04:17 PM
When I first started out I bought jasonarthur.com and hosted a bunch of samples on there and included links to contact me via email or phone.

I got very few jobs from my website, but having a place to host my samples was VERY beneficial starting out. "Got any samples of your work?" "Yes, just click here, mouse over the thumbnails for larger versions" etc...

I will say, without a doubt, that Digital Webbing was the BIGGEST helper in starting my career as a letterer though.

So huge thanks to Ed Dukeshire!

And OP, if you have any questions give me a shout: jasonarthur.com@gmail.com

Onomonopeeon
10-10-2013, 05:38 PM
When I first started out I bought jasonarthur.com and hosted a bunch of samples on there and included links to contact me via email or phone.

I got very few jobs from my website, but having a place to host my samples was VERY beneficial starting out. "Got any samples of your work?" "Yes, just click here, mouse over the thumbnails for larger versions" etc...

I will say, without a doubt, that Digital Webbing was the BIGGEST helper in starting my career as a letterer though.

So huge thanks to Ed Dukeshire!

And OP, if you have any questions give me a shout: jasonarthur.com@gmail.com

Thanks Jason!
Would you guys suggest a few 2-3 page sequences or individual pages that show off placement or caption/balloon design? Maybe both?

Jason Arthur
10-11-2013, 12:46 AM
I did an individual page from multiple projects showing some diversity.