PDA

View Full Version : My inks folder

trucas
09-26-2013, 09:54 AM
http://trucas.deviantart.com/gallery/45853360

I made a folder with inks samples in deviantart.

Some excercises, some published pages. Comments are welcome.

All digital.

Charles
09-28-2013, 02:26 PM
I looked at two examples:

http://trucas.deviantart.com/art/Pagina1-artefacto-400438401

...and...

http://trucas.deviantart.com/art/Pagina2-artefacto-400440007

You have a very clean inking style, one not prone to excess, if these two examples are any indication.

Your overall inking style, I like very much.

In the following example:

http://trucas.deviantart.com/art/Pagina6-artefacto-400439859?q=gallery%3ATrucas%2F45853360&qo=8

I think that your inking is more effective at conveying impact, than at conveying motion. You are, however, quite skilled at using inking to convey depth.

The following example:

http://trucas.deviantart.com/art/Superman-Inks-352549731?q=gallery%3ATrucas%2F45853360&qo=0

Demonstrates a greater degree of focus, on your part, in shading human figures with more attention to detail. That said, I don't think it is a superior technique to what was yielded in the first two links posed above.

That said, the human figures in the first two examples cited above are less memorable, for the very simple reason that their inking is essentially clones of one another. A little more inking attention to detail on just a few of the characters depicted would yield more visual impact, overall, I think.

In a nutshell, you are very talented, and your inking examples denote a sizable degree of self-discipline. You are not prone to letting the ink get away from you.

It is easier to add ink than to take it away. As such, I think that your clean approach to inking is very much to your advantage, as far as your long-term growth potential as an inker is concerned.

Erick Cruz
09-28-2013, 06:57 PM
I want to comment on the Jim Lee Superman/WW page since Jim is an artist whom ive studied for years and whom ive at one time failed miserably to be like :har: the point im trying to get at is that while "studying" Jim's work i came to appreciate just how much it truly is a collaborate effort between him and Scott Williams. There a few inkers that have done Jim work justice including other professionals, the casual reader might not notice just how much of Scotts work is truly reflected in the final product.

As you might have noticed in the original pencils Jim doesn't really vary line weights all that much in the feathering and hatching, this is where Scott comes in and puts his stamp, and it's something that is easy to detect when up and comers try and tackle Jim's work, it's a glaring difference in presentation and i'll be frank, in your piece i can spot areas where ill be like "well, Scott would've handled these parts this way and that spot this way..."

Something that immediate jumped out at me was the shadow line thats runs across on WWs right (our left) thigh. Im looking at the piece in the small "normal size" not the zoomed in jumbo size, since the normal size seems to be close to actual print size, and it's easier for me to compare side by side of a scan of the original printed image i found online; anyway my first thought was "it's too bold" so now im drawing (no pun intended) too much attention to it. Scott's subtle technique of breaking up the line and almost razor thin lineweight looks "right" to my eyes. Now my eyes are drwn to that spot I focus on the hatch lines running down to her knee and down the shin and to her foot. From the midthigh to the knee im thinking, it looks to busy, like you added a few too many lines, then i see what's going on, essentially the lines are all going in the same direction while Scott added a gentle sweep across WWs thigh with a slight wider fanning from the inner thigh to the outer thigh.

Another thing that immediately jumped out at me was the hatching on Superman's cape. All the lines are the same thickness, and the area directly underneath Supes armpit blends in too much with the hatching on the armpit area.

I like how you handled the stuff in the background, and the bolder outline on the figures do make them stand out. So when doing Jim's stuff you need to know when to reign in some of the details and make a call on which of Jim's lines you need to clean up.

I could go on and nitpick this piece to death if i wanted to :laugh: but ill put on the brakes and say you definitely have a good control of the "digital" brush, if you hadnt mentioned it was digital i dont think many would have noticed. What did you use? Ive been trying to get a good quill-like inking brush/pen in Photoshop CS2 and Manga Studio 3 but cant quite get one to my liking, care to share those settings?

Edit: I just noticed you're from Mexico, so, saludos paisano! Viva Mexico! Abajo con EPN! jeje

trucas
09-30-2013, 07:29 PM
@Charles, Thank you for your detailed answer.

trucas
09-30-2013, 07:36 PM
@Erick.
I think there's a lot of things to improve. The results of my inks in Superman has a lot of loss of detail, and some good points. I'll keep practicing.

I use PaintTool Sai, for inking. It's a good software.

ĦAbajo EPN! Como chingados no!