PDA

View Full Version : Crossbar I's

Steven Forbes
09-17-2013, 01:31 AM
Hello, my fine lettering folks. I've got a question.

What's the easiest way to get rid of crossbar I's when you're doing a copy/paste from script to page? A friend of mine is having a problem with it.

Let's take three different sentences:

I really don't like you.

If you're not home in an hour, there'll be hell to pay!

This happens to me every time!

Let's break them down, now:

The first two sentences both start with the letter I, but one is the personal pronoun (which should get it), and the other isn't. My friend understands that the personal pronoun should have the crossbar I, and that everything else (except maybe acronyms, depending) shouldn't.

Since the first sentence starts with the personal pronoun, it's fine.

The second sentence starts with the letter I, and shouldn't. This is the biggest problem he has. Whenever words start a sentence with the letter I, he sometimes forgets to go back and fix it.

All the sentences have random I's in there, and those are generally fine.

Do you guys have any tips or tricks that could be helpful?

Thanks in advance!

-Steven

JimCampbell
09-17-2013, 02:56 AM
Set up a macro in the word processor he's got the script open in to run the following case sensitive find/replace operations:

Find capital I - replace with lower case i

Find lower case i followed by a space - replace with cap I plus space

Find lower case i followed by apostrophe - replace with cap I plus apostrophe

That mops up the vast majority of pronoun Is - it has the side effect of sticking a cap I at the end of words like 'taxi' so you still have to be vigilant, but I do this to every script I receive.

In the same macro, I also search for three periods and replace with a proper ellipsis and double spaces and replace with single. I've recently added an additional operation to swap !? for ?!

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Jim

Steven Forbes
09-17-2013, 03:09 AM
That's genius!

Thanks, Jim!

JimCampbell
09-17-2013, 05:26 AM
No problem, Steve! I actually go into more detail on my blog (http://clintflickerlettering.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/lettering-in-adobe-illustrator-one.html), but that pretty much covers it.

I should also mention that I did a book recently that had a character called Tobaqui — obviously the find and replace stuck a cap I at the end of his name every time. With something like a named character who's going to crop up a lot, it's worth adding an extra find/replace on that specific name to change it back again…

Cheers!

Jim

Artful Dodger
09-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Any tips on how to create a crossbar I when the font I am using doesn't have one? I know I could manually draw one and paste it in everywhere, but that will be tedious.

If it is the only way, so be it. But if there was another way....

L Jamal
09-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Any tips on how to create a crossbar I when the font I am using doesn't have one?
Use a better font

JimCampbell
09-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Use a better font

This. Blambot has dozens of dialogue fonts (http://www.blambot.com/fonts_dialogue_standard.shtml), many of which are free. There's no excuse for not using a halfway decent lettering fontů

Cheers

Jim