PDA

View Full Version : Brush question

johnjohn
09-12-2013, 02:24 AM
Hopefully not a stupid one.

Do brushes loose their absorbency over time, or does this vary based on the brush quality.

Bought some new brushes today as my older ones weren't holding or dispensing ink very evenly, and they didn't seem to be holding their shape very well for a continuous line.
Brought the new ones home and instantly it was a lot easier to get a consistent clean line with the new brushes.
Granted, this time I had a better idea of what I was looking for and spent longer choosing between the different brushes.

Justice41
09-12-2013, 10:31 AM
clean the brushes after every use and try to lay them so water or paint don't get up into the holder as this will wind up splaying the bristles out which will result in the shape not snapping back or evenly dispensing paint of ink. If it's real hair use shampoo, can't hurt. but place the brush so the water doesn't collect in that area where the bristles are held.

JOinks
09-13-2013, 12:42 PM
You can get this stuff at your local art store probably but this is what you should get. http://www.dickblick.com/products/the-masters-brush-cleaner-and-preserver/

Clean your brushes after you are done for the day and then leave a little lather on them and put them away. It keeps them conditioned and preserves the point.

Also, what brushes are you using?

johnjohn
09-13-2013, 02:23 PM
I have a variety that I'm using while I figure out what type I like.
For sizes I use a 2/0, 0 and 00.

What I wound up doing was holding the tips in water at a rolling boil for a few seconds each and then roll it out lightly to dry.
I kept doing this until ink stopped coming off the brush.

My wife was less than amused at my ingenuity, (with one of our stainless steel sauce pans) however.

JOinks
09-13-2013, 05:26 PM
If you want a really good brush try Raphael 8404 Sables. Very awesome brushes. :D

johnjohn
09-13-2013, 06:51 PM
The sables I looked at a few days ago, (Windsor Newton I think)at my local AT&T store I had to pass on.
Even after the water test they still had hairs poking out at odd angles, so I guess people were just jamming them back not caring.

Justice41
09-13-2013, 06:55 PM
If you are cleaning Synthetics with hot water you may have caused the bristles to curl.

JOinks
09-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Wait. AT&T sells brushes? *scratches head* In any case, online is your best bet anyway. People don't handle those like 5 year olds lol. Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes aren't typically out for people to touch so hopefully it wasn't those...

VANDAL
09-14-2013, 12:24 PM
NEVER wash your brushes in hot water, it causes the glue that holds the hairs in place to melt. Lukewarm water with liquid dish detergent works very well. Try Dawn dish detergent, it's very mild on the brush. If you are working with synthetic brushes, stop doing that. Even when brand new, synthetic brushes just plain cant get the lines that sables can.

JOinks
09-14-2013, 12:37 PM
NEVER wash your brushes in hot water, it causes the glue that holds the hairs in place to melt. Lukewarm water with liquid dish detergent works very well. Try Dawn dish detergent, it's very mild on the brush. If you are working with synthetic brushes, stop doing that. Even when brand new, synthetic brushes just plain cant get the lines that sables can.

What he said. Though, in the end, the choice of what you use is up to you and your taste. Use what you like and what you feel comfortable using. :D

johnjohn
09-14-2013, 02:27 PM

Thanks, glad I mentioned it.
Again, not sure what the brushes are.
When I saw the state of the red sables I wanted I started testing brushes (that seemed to be of good quality) until I found ones that I was happy with their response.

Rob Norton
09-14-2013, 02:34 PM
so do you guys just lay your brushes flat when not in use? ive been standing them on end with the brush in the air(which i am now seeing as stupid...)

so...lay them flat then?

rob

johnjohn
09-14-2013, 04:08 PM
I was setting them in a holder, but I kept smacking the tops when I reached far a brush (I'm a chronic spaz) so now I have them in a container on a 45 degree angle, spaced out with the wood of the brush resting on the edge.
I had to start turning that away from myself because I would bang the brush tips.
Also had to start doing that wih my quills since I kept skewering myself.

But as I mentioned, I'm completely spastic so I started doing that so I'd stop ruining my stuff and not for any technical reasons.

JOinks
09-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Most brushes should come with a little clear tube that goes over the bristles. I keep these on them whenever I'm not using them.