PDA

View Full Version : Netflix

Steven Forbes
09-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Basically, this is my thread for Netflix. What I'm watching, and my reactions to it, and whether or not Netflix saved me money or if I'm going to be buying movies to watch anytime.

Just finished watching the Shaft remake, with Sam Jackson.

I liked the dialogue. Pretty funny. But as something that needed to be remade, "updated"? No, it wasn't worthy.

Things were okay until we got to the gunplay. Shaft should have been dead a few times over. The ending car chase was terrible, too.

It's interesting seeing who's all in this movie, though.

Mekhi Phifer in a small but important part.

Christian Bale doing his best to be repugnant.

Toni Colette being interesting.

Busta Rhymes being himself.

Vanessa Williams being pretty.

Lynne Thigpen in a bit part. (I always thought of her as being a bitch. She was bitchy in most of the things I saw her in.)

This movie works until you get to the gunplay. I don't recommend buying this movie. Netflix saved me money.

Bishop
09-11-2013, 08:48 PM
I agree. Shaft was a rental at best.

I'm currently working through Fringe. I love Netflix for TV series I've missed.

Co.Inkadink
09-11-2013, 08:53 PM
I agree. Shaft was a rental at best.

I'm currently working through Fringe. I love Netflix for TV series I've missed.

I love Netflix! I liked Fringe so much I went out and bought season 5. I'm currently watching Buffy and X-files both of which I've never seen. I also have watched Freaks and Geeks, My so called Life, Office both versions, 30 rock, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, and many others all the way through.

Bishop
09-11-2013, 09:21 PM
I've watched a bunch if those too. Add in The Killing and Battlestar Galactica as well!

Steven Forbes
09-11-2013, 09:41 PM
I'm also watching The X-Files. I think I'll be buying this.

I'm still into the first season, but I like the stories, I like the atmosphere. I don't like the fact that Scully never "gets" it. I understand that she's there to do a job, but after a while, it just gets to the point that she's willfully ignorant.

Buying this is already a foregone conclusion for me.

Steven Forbes
09-11-2013, 09:46 PM
The original show had a lot of imagination and promise. This is why it got a remake.

The remake is vastly superior to the source material. I loved it on Sci-Fi, and I binge-watched it on Netflix. Really, this is nothing more than an instant buy for me. I also believe this will be a classic. Just very well done.

Steven Forbes
09-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Battlestar Galactica spinoff.

I found it to be meh. The best thing about it was Polly Walker.

I liked the "origin" of the cylons, but since it only got one season, it is unfinished. I don't see how it went from the girl being trapped in the machine to the machine being replicated with no trace of her left.

I also didn't like the Adama subplot.

I think a lot of things could have been done better. I see why it didn't get renewed, Eric Stoltz or no.

This can be passed.

Steven Forbes
09-11-2013, 10:05 PM
This show made Jennifer Garner's career, and I can see why.

Once we get past the point that are impossible connections in the show, it's well written, I like the drama, and I like the intrigue. We already know she's going to get out of a lot of things, the question will always be "how." It's interesting to see how its done.

Do I like it enough to buy it? I don't know. I've just finished season 2, and I'm on the fence. Garner is hot, but it isn't enough. I do like the conspiracies, though.

Still on the fence, but happy I'm watching it.

eDuke
09-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Alias had a decent run. I did feel it overstayed a little. Can't remember exactly which season it was, most likely the third or fourth. They should have just called it a wrap.

Bishop
09-11-2013, 10:50 PM
The original show had a lot of imagination and promise. This is why it got a remake.

The remake is vastly superior to the source material. I loved it on Sci-Fi, and I binge-watched it on Netflix. Really, this is nothing more than an instant buy for me. I also believe this will be a classic. Just very well done.

Yes. I didn't like how they handled some of the final shows, but overall it is one of my favorite shows ever.

Steven Forbes
09-12-2013, 01:09 PM
This is a French film, b/w, dubbed in English. Right in my wheelhouse.

I'd buy this movie in a heartbeat. (I love b/w horror movies.) The plot is okay (Dr. Orloff is killing women in an attempt to fix his daughter's scarred face), the dubbing is bad, the sense of time is compressed, the logic is faulty, and we have some gratuitous nudity.

Oh, and I mustn't forget the monster, a la Frankenstein.

For most people, this is a pass. For me, too good to pass up.

Duane Korslund
09-12-2013, 01:15 PM
American horror story Season 1....pretty decent...kept me guessing what was gonna happen next...decent plots....Better than Season 2, which was just "What else can we cram in this show?"

scrappy
09-12-2013, 07:01 PM
I'm waiting for season 2 of American Horror Story, which doesn't look like it's coming to Netflix anytime soon.

Just got done watching five season of Madmen (that's all Netflix has). It's a great show as a period piece.

Currently watching Wilfred. Its just the right amount of stupid to keep me interesting.

Co.Inkadink
09-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Just got done watching five season of Madmen (that's all Netflix has). It's a great show as a period piece.

Mad Men is Fantastic! Greatest show on TV. You ought to download the rest off I-tunes.

scrappy
09-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Mad Men is Fantastic! Greatest show on TV. You ought to download the rest off I-tunes.

I have this whole theory about Mad Men and why it's good. When you think about it, the show is pretty boring. There's a few dramatic aspects to it, but overall the show is just about New Yorkers going to work every day and dealing with their families. But the reason the show is so good is because its a commentary on American life from the 60's to today. As a retrospective show, its aware of the mundane story lines it projects and why they're interesting to an audience in the 21st century.

Oh, and also they get hammered and have sex a lot. That's cool too.

Co.Inkadink
09-12-2013, 08:27 PM
I have this whole theory about Mad Men and why it's good. When you think about it, the show is pretty boring. There's a few dramatic aspects to it, but overall the show is just about New Yorkers going to work every day and dealing with their families. But the reason the show is so good is because its a commentary on American life from the 60's to today. As a retrospective show, its aware of the mundane story lines it projects and why they're interesting to an audience in the 21st century.

Oh, and also they get hammered and have sex a lot. That's cool too.I think it's pretty interesting, especially the aspect of Don Draper's life. I think one of the things that fascinates me about it is My Father grew up in New York at that time I was born there and I've seen lots of pictures of it. The 6th season 1968 I was a baby there and the sensibilities and ideals of people were so different. Starting in 1960 we see how viewpoints changed throughout the 60s. It's fascinating to me. I also Love most of the characters Draper, Peggy, and Sterling are great and Pete Campbell is a great villian type.

Steven Forbes
09-14-2013, 02:56 AM
Beautiful movie, but damned long. 4 hours of long. However, well worth it.

This movie is not something you watch on a whim, though. You need to have time to sit down and view it properly. This, to me, means ownership. But for this particular movie, because of its length, would have to be part of a bundle. Either a bundle for the timeframe, or an Elizabeth Taylor bundle.

And that's that.

Steven Forbes
09-14-2013, 03:02 AM
This is a stupid movie. It's Frankenstein's Monster, but the "monster" is a reanimated corpse, given mobility through ultrasonic frequencies.

It's b/w, dubbed, and dreadful. Here's a simple plot summary:

Dr. Orloff is an old man, but before he dies, he leaves the secret to giving his creation mobility to another doctor.

This other doctor kills his brother for sleeping with his wife, and reanimates him as the monster. He makes the monster kill women. Why? I don't know. Why? BECAUSE IT IS NEVER EXPLAINED.

His niece comes to visit. The monster watches over her, but does not attack her because she's his daughter.

The doctor is finally killed by the monster, the monster is chased by the police, and then the daughter leads the monster to its death, for which it thanks her.

This is a terrible movie, but it needs to go into my collection.

Steven Forbes
09-14-2013, 03:06 AM
Another stupid movie, but this on is in color. This has the same director as Dr. Orloff's Monster, as well as the same actor who played the monster in that. He plays a killer in this one.

Bad movie, but at least this one has a plot. No gratuitous nudity here.

Subtitled.

You know what? This isn't a bad movie. It's definitely a B movie, though. It's eminently watchable. Another one I need to own.

Steven Forbes
09-14-2013, 03:15 AM
This is based on a Bernard Shaw play, starring Vivien Leigh and Claude Rains in the title roles.

It flows like a play. A lot of people standing around, talking. Some things said aloud that wouldn't normally be.

That bundle I was talking about earlier? This should be part of that. This is by turns funny and captivating. And we're talking about Claude em effin' Rains! The Invisible Man and the Phantom of the Opera himself! That's worth the price of admission right there!

Yep. This needs to be bought.

Steven Forbes
09-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Everyone has to eat, right?

This is a recent movie. It has the guy who plays Stark on Eureka, and Nia Peeples, who's aging well.

The story is simple: it's a period piece, and there's a werewolf in town. It's killing a LOT of townsfolk. There also appears to be a pattern to it.

I won't say more, because it's trying to be a worthwhile movie. A couple of surprises in this one.

This one is a rental. Don't waste your money buying it, because you won't watch it more than once.

Steven Forbes
09-14-2013, 07:18 PM
This is a series of 4 minute cartoons from the 60s.

It's a comedy, with lots of plays on words. It's got Batfink, who's an anthropomorphic bat. He's got wings of steel that often act as a shield, he can fly, although he's usually in a car (the battalac--think cadillac, starting with "bat"), and he's got a super sonic sonar which can find anything.

He's also got a sidekick: Karate. Karate is a caricature of an Asian: squinty eyes and buck teeth. He speaks regular English, though, and no trace of any accent. Yes, some will find the depiction offensive. It was the times. Roll with it.

I'd buy this. It's cute and amusing. Some of the jokes you can see coming, but it's a nice diversion. There are 100 episodes, and I'm working my way through them.

Steven Forbes
09-14-2013, 07:21 PM
This is anime.

Although there's no nudity, there's some cursing and a lot of attention paid to a character with large breasts. It's comical, but not really my cup of tea. I only tried out the one episode because my daughter, who is 18, put it in the queue. I won't be watching any more. Just isn't for me.

Steven Forbes
09-14-2013, 07:30 PM
I like bad movies. I do. However, I try to be discriminating about the bad movies I buy. This piece of trash I wouldn't buy at all.

Yes, it's a play on Girls Gone Wild, so there are a lot of naked breasts. It plays on the horror movie trope: the virginal, church going girl survives the attack from the killer when hardly anyone else does.

One of the girls needed to be punched in the face repeatedly because she was such an unlikeable bitch. I wished she didn't survive as long as she did.

Yes, you can guess the killer. I won't tell you here, but you can guess it, even through the red herrings.

It's got Jerry "The King" Lawler as the sheriff. He actually did a passable job.

Know what? I lied. I'd buy this, but only because it has one person in it: Linnea Quigley. I love her. I've loved her in Night of the Demons, Return of the Living Dead, and a few other movies. She doesn't get nude nor does she die, but you can tell she's having fun playing over the top in her small role. I'd buy this movie only for her.

Buckyrig
09-14-2013, 10:00 PM
What are you, convalescent? :huh:

Steven Forbes
09-14-2013, 10:10 PM
No. Unemployed at the moment. This should slow down some once I start working again.

Thinking of watching some horror movies now... Having to decide which to watch is the trick.

Steven Forbes
09-15-2013, 01:12 PM
A ghost hunter who also discovers hoaxes for a living, is faced with true-to-life ghost.

Not a bad movie, but really, not worth more than a rental. This isn't a movie you'd watch again unless there was a long wait between.

Netflix saved me money.

Steven Forbes
09-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Okay, this movie has a usually hot Jessica Biehl looking pale and not so hot.

This is a movie with a message. The message comes near the end, and it's very blatant.

The basic rundown is this: children are missing without a trace from a Washington town. The perpetrator? The Tall Man.

There's a mystery here. Things happen, and you're like, okay, I was expecting that. Then when other things happen, you're like, whoa, what's the truth? And then then the truth comes out...the message.

This is a movie I was contemplating buying. It was calling my name in Walmart. However, I would have been upset in buying this movie. Once again, Netflix has saved me money.

Steven Forbes
09-15-2013, 10:47 PM
This is a silent movie, made in 1920s. It details the plans and the journey of the "first" people on the moon. Some guy predicts there are mountains of gold on the dark side of the moon, and a consortium of powerful people want to get to the moon to make sure no one comes back with that gold.

The main character is in love, but the woman he loves has accepted a marriage offer from someone else--the guy's partner.

They eventually get to the moon (after plans are stolen, threats made, and the stowaway of a pre-teen boy), find the gold on the dark side of the moon--as well as a breathable atmosphere--but then there are problems.

It ends with the main character having to stay on the moon or else no one would be able to get back, and the woman stays with him.

This is a long movie, coming in at nearly 3 hrs. And not only is it a silent, it's also natively in German, so there are some subtitles to contend with. Overall, though, it's worth a watch, and for me, I'd buy this.

Steven Forbes
09-16-2013, 06:41 AM
Two words: simply hilarious.

Funny enough not only to buy, but to buy directly from him. Screw the middle man, just buy it directly from hm.

Genius? Some parts of it. Honest? Sometimes uncomfortably so. But he puts himself out there, and our reward is laughter.

Yeah. I'm buying this.

Lord Fejj
09-16-2013, 07:16 PM

Madmen is fantastic! Don Draper is my man-crush! Not Jon Hamm!!! He does nothing for me, but Don Draper is the shit!

Seriously the show is well written and historically pretty accurate. Pretty evil, they are all alcoholics and treat women like shit.

Co.Inkadink
09-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Madmen is fantastic! Don Draper is my man-crush! Not Jon Hamm!!! He does nothing for me, but Don Draper is the shit!

Seriously the show is well written and historically pretty accurate. Pretty evil, they are all alcoholics and treat women like shit.

The 6th season threw me for a loop. Draper became totally unlikeable by the end and then one glimmer of hope in the last 2 minutes. You ought to catch up before season 7. But they'll probably put it on Netflix a week before, I just like to let it sink in with that show. I binge watch some shows and miss a lot.

Steven Forbes
09-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Another worthy entry from Shonda Rhimes.

For those who don't know, this is a spinoff of Grey's Anatomy. The focus here is on Addison Forbes-Montgomery (McDreamy's ex-wife), as she makes a new life for herself way from Seattle Grace.

This show has less sex (not by much) and more actual relationships that don't take place in an elevator. I'm only on season 2, but somehow this show seems less cynical than Grey's Anatomy. I like that.

Will I be buying this? I don't know. I think so. If I'm not off the fence by the end of this season, then the answer will be no. I like it, I just don't know if it's worth spending money on.

Steven Forbes
09-24-2013, 09:58 AM
The Emmy's got me.

Lots of people have been talking about this show. People I respect. With that being the case, I finally decided to give it a shot.

I'm only two episodes in, and while it's nothing to write home about yet, it does have me laughing.

I'll give it the full season before I make a decision, but so far, it isn't great, but it definitely isn't terrible.

The Dag
09-24-2013, 07:09 PM
The Emmy's got me.

Lots of people have been talking about this show. People I respect. With that being the case, I finally decided to give it a shot.

I'm only two episodes in, and while it's nothing to write home about yet, it does have me laughing.

I'll give it the full season before I make a decision, but so far, it isn't great, but it definitely isn't terrible.

it gets better with each season. the show doesn't pick up for me until season 2. most tv shows get boring or worst with every season.

Bishop
09-24-2013, 07:23 PM
it gets better with each season. the show doesn't pick up for me until season 2. most tv shows get boring or worst with every season.

While I mostly enjoyed the first season, I agree with this. Season 2 is where it starts to get really good.

Nitecrawlah2
09-24-2013, 09:56 PM
The Emmy's got me.

Given that the first season was shortened because of the writers' strike, I (much like everyone else around here) would recommend sticking around through Season 2.