PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know this font?

Thomas Mauer
09-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Any ideas, guys? I've been asked to take over a comic after the original letterer has gone AWOL. I like the font and it would work quite well with the artwork.

On a few pages it actually looks like hand lettering or an extremely diversified ligatures set in this font, so I'm not sure if this is even a commercially available font.

http://www.thomasmauer.com/Untitled-1.gif

lordmagnusen
09-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Looks like a ComiCraft font, but not sure which one.

Thomas Mauer
09-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Looks like it's CC Moritat. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction, dude!

L Jamal
09-09-2013, 11:44 PM
yes, it's Moritat from Comicraft

lordmagnusen
09-10-2013, 03:19 AM
Cool. I knew I'd seen it.

Jasen Smith
09-10-2013, 06:30 AM
OK, I don't pop in here...well at all. A few times in the past but I don't know enough about fonts and lettering except the very basic stuff.

What is it that gives it away? How do you know that the font is what you say it is?
There are so many that are similar to this one, educate me gurus.

lordmagnusen
09-10-2013, 12:12 PM
The shape of the letters is similar to several CC fonts, I just noticed that, is all. I'm only passingly familiar with the CCMoritat font, so I didn't notice which font it was exactly.

L Jamal
09-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Moritat is one of my favorite fonts.
I recognized it almost immediately and then compared the Frijoles Again in the image against the same words typed in Mortiat to confirm

Thomas Mauer
09-11-2013, 03:33 AM
The M, F, G and O are very distinct. Always try to find very distinct looking letters and compare them against samples of fonts. This can still be a needle in the haystack search which is why I posted here. Some of the other regulars have an uncanny knack for remembering fonts. I envy you all.

JimCampbell
09-11-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm very impressed with the care that's been taken in those samples to try and avoid repeating characters. In that first column, notice that the OO lig is deployed in "FOOD" but has been manually over-ridden in "TOO" to put the two O variants the opposite way round. In the bottom-most text, notice that the TH in "THE" is different to the TH in "WITH".

I thought I was the only person who was that picky! :-)

Cheers

Jim

Jeff LeBlanc
09-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Jim: I do that, too.

I remember my parents coming home from a parent/teacher interview when I was in grade four. They told me that my teacher said I was a good student, but a bit too much of a perfectionist. What my grade four self understood was: "Jeff is perfect!"

vartemis
09-11-2013, 07:03 PM
I love using the italic for screams.

I find the autolig annoying sometimes when using it for purposes other than balloon lettering, especially when converting it to outlines and having to release the compound shape to be able to manipulate the individual letters, but it's worth it to have a good font.

j

Thomas Mauer
09-12-2013, 05:00 PM
I'm very impressed with the care that's been taken in those samples to try and avoid repeating characters. In that first column, notice that the OO lig is deployed in "FOOD" but has been manually over-ridden in "TOO" to put the two O variants the opposite way round. In the bottom-most text, notice that the TH in "THE" is different to the TH in "WITH".

I thought I was the only person who was that picky! :-)

Cheers

Jim

Agreed. It's a shame the original letterer dropped off the face of the earth. He did a nice job of it, whoever he was.

JimCampbell
09-13-2013, 03:56 AM
Agreed. It's a shame the original letterer dropped off the face of the earth. He did a nice job of it, whoever he was.

Everything I've seen of your lettering suggests to me that the client has gained a conscientious, creative letterer. I hope they appreciate you as much as you deserve. :-)

Cheers!

Jim

Thomas Mauer
09-14-2013, 07:22 AM
Thanks, Jim. :)

The client bought the Moritat font and boy oh boy, it's ligature heavy! It's even got ligs for "er" and "ER", so mixing with--

er
ER
eR
Er

--you get four distinct looks.

This is one of the best CC fonts I've seen yet. A lot of their regular dialogue fonts leave something to be desired when it comes to kerning which isn't a problem with CC Moritat, and I've never noticed this large amount of ligatures.

lordmagnusen
09-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Sweet!