PDA

View Full Version : lettering with ipad?

dead_cowboy
08-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Greetings,
I've been doing my lettering for many years using an ancient copy of Adobe Illustrator on my desktop PC. I've recently thought about getting an iPad so that I can stop and work whenever I have a few minutes (cramped schedule and all that). I know Illustrator isn't available for iPad, but is there an equivalent vector program anyone knows of that can import and export *.AI files without any trouble? I'd be using a mouse-and-keyboard setup for this.

Or, alternately is there another tablet that would work better? Sorry if this sounds a bit newbish, but I'm completely new to tablets. Any help is appreciated.

JimCampbell
08-22-2013, 03:43 PM
I really, really don't think a tablet is suitable for this kind of work. There's certainly nothing that would give you the pro-grade control over typography, colour profiles and trapping. If your intent would be to keep this stuff in an AI compatible file format to bring the files back onto your desktop, I think you'd spend longer doing clean-up of the files on your desktop than just doing the work there in the first place.

I use a laptop hooked up to an external monitor with a wireless k/b and mouse, so when I want to work on the move, I just unhook the laptop and take it with me.

Cheers

Jim

dead_cowboy
08-22-2013, 03:58 PM
I have considered just springing for another laptop, but my copy of AI is several generations old and would likely have compatibility issues. That means I'd have to spring for another copy and so on. It would be significantly more expensive overall. But, thanks for the reply. That's certainly a viable alternative.

Bishop
08-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Even the Adobe apps on the ipad won't open .ai files. However, the Adobe app "Adobe Ideas" will produce files that can be opened in Illustrator.

Sounds like you need one of these:
http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/wacom-cintiq-companion-hybrid/4505-3126_7-35826676.html

Duane Korslund
08-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Even the Adobe apps on the ipad won't open .ai files. However, the Adobe app "Adobe Ideas" will produce files that can be opened in Illustrator.

Sounds like you need one of these:
http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/wacom-cintiq-companion-hybrid/4505-3126_7-35826676.html

Retail price... Eleventy billion dollars....well....about 2k, but still....way more than us starving artists can drop...stupid family to support!!!

The Trout
08-23-2013, 05:21 PM
If you're not committed to Apple, the Microsoft Surface Pro will run Illustrator just fine, though lettering with just a touch screen would still be incredibly awkward.

Bishop
08-23-2013, 05:52 PM
If you're not committed to Apple, the Microsoft Surface Pro will run Illustrator just fine, though lettering with just a touch screen would still be incredibly awkward.

Problem is, the Surface Pro really kind of sucks. Mine is just gathering dust after a few months of use. For that kind of money you'd be better off spending a little bit more and getting the Lenovo Helix or Yoga. However, none of those will have the levels of sensitivity that a Wacom product has, but you won't need that if you are just looking for something to letter on I guess.

Retail price... Eleventy billion dollars....well....about 2k, but still....way more than us starving artists can drop...stupid family to support!!!

I agree. I mainly posted that as a joke. That is an interesting looking product, but waaaay too pricey for your average artist.

Evan Henry
08-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Derek Haines wrote a nice article (http://derekhaines.wordpress.com/2010/01/29/i%e2%80%99ll-buy-an-ipad/) on this sort of topic around the time the iPad first came out.

The very simple idea I understood when I watched Steve Jobs try to convince the world that we need another mobile device was this. If your role is to input. Stay away. If your role is to devour output, then line up and buy one immediately. Itís as simple as that.

I agreed with that in 2010 and I agree with it now, mostly because nothing has changed. No number of apps, accessories, or plug-in devices will make the iPad a reasonable productivity device. Apple are too limited, at least as far as their mobile devices go, to catering to an entertainment-focused audience.

Buy a computer. Preferably a good one.

Bishop
08-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Meh. An iPad is a great extension of your desktop. I got one when they first came out and within months was able to stop carrying my laptop. I replaced it with a desktop at work and carry my iPad when I travel using Jump Desktop to rdp to my work and home computers. I don't think the iPad is great as an 'Artists Machine' but to say it can't enhance productivity is false. I use it regularly to code, record notes in meetings, give presentations, etc.

JimCampbell
08-26-2013, 07:56 AM
I use it regularly to code, record notes in meetings, give presentations, etc.

But you don't use it for lettering, which was what the original query was about.

Cheers

Jim

Bishop
08-26-2013, 09:09 AM
But you don't use it for lettering, which was what the original query was about.

Cheers

Jim

That is correct. I already addressed the initial post with my first two posts. My last post was addressing the generalizations stated in the post directly above mine by SuperMonkey.

eDuke
08-26-2013, 01:33 PM
I don't agree that the iPad isn't an "Artists Machine". Several pro artists use Sketchbook Pro" to draw. That program ending up being one of the first apps I purchased while I was at Boston Comicon and my buddy Kody Chamberlain sat there and whipped out a full color drawing without struggle. And I believe Jim Lee posted up some stuff using the app.

But, for lettering, I don't know of anything, never really looked.

dead_cowboy: I wouldn't be too concerned about how old your Illustrator is (unless it can't create standard CS EPS files). When I was working at Marvel/DC, they preferred the earliest CS files I could export. It's been a year since I've done anything for them, so they may have updated their software.

Bishop
08-26-2013, 02:09 PM
The iPad can certainly be used for artists purposes, but I don't think it excels at them. To me the lack of pressure sensitivity is a definite drawback. I've seen some amazing works of art come out of Sketchbook Pro and other apps, though.

Question: Will Sketchbook Pro output files that are at a resolution suitable for print? I never looked into that...

Duane Korslund
08-26-2013, 02:39 PM
last time I checked Sketchbook Pro didnt output files that would work for print....but its been a while....I think they did a few updates to resolve those issues....and if so I'm pretty sure Sketchbook Pro and other apps of its ilk coupled with the newer tablets out there like the galaxy note 10.1 or the new wacom thingy...uh...companion...would step up the artists game a bit...(which do have pressure sensitivity.) I'm sure the next Gen of ipad will bust hump to match these guys for artist appeal.