PDA

View Full Version : Drippy/Melting Balloon

lordmagnusen
08-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Anyone got a "drippy"/"melty" balloon example handy? I mean those balloons when Character A has sa crush on Character B and he/she goes "Hiiii Charaaacter aaaaa" and the balloon is kinda like melting, or dripping drool... am I making any sense? I need one as a reference and I just can't find one...

Scribbly
08-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Can't you imagine one?

HdE
08-21-2013, 06:58 PM
In that context, Magnus, I'd worry that you might not be communicating the intent very well. maybe a better method would be to surround the speech balloon with floating hearts?

I did something similar to that on an issue of Ursa Minor. Thej heart is a faff to build in Illustrator, but once you have it, you can copy and paste it ad nauseum.

My thinking is that the 'dripping' effect might be misconstrued as the 'icy' effect that you sometimes see in comics, where a character's irritation is being communicated.

lordmagnusen
08-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Scribbly: I can imagine one, I just wanted some reference to get it right.

HdE: Yeah, I thought about the hearts, but the characters (two girls fawning over a hero) have hearts replacing their eyes for that effect, so I wanted to convey the voice tone... I know how it can be confused with the icy one... but that one is like, spiky-er.

iRacingRyan
08-22-2013, 12:32 AM
What about a word balloon that is long and wavy?

"He's so DREAMMMMYYYYYYYY"

it would be one long balloon that undulates the entire length. Would convey the same sort of thing, right? :D

Scribbly
08-22-2013, 03:27 AM
Scribbly: I can imagine one, I just wanted some reference to get it right.

HdE: Yeah, I thought about the hearts, but the characters (two girls fawning over a hero) have hearts replacing their eyes for that effect, so I wanted to convey the voice tone... I know how it can be confused with the icy one... but that one is like, spiky-er.

You draw what you imagine. Adjust it until it feel right.
Then, copy or trace it with the software you are using for lettering.

JimCampbell
08-22-2013, 04:29 AM
HdE: There's a heart symbol in Zapf Dingbats (and some other symbol fonts, I'd imagine). I just converted that to Outlines. :-)

Cheers

Jim

HdE
08-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Now, THAT makes far too much sense, Jim.