PDA

View Full Version : Why DC Comics?

brandonpatton
08-09-2013, 11:52 AM
DC has changed a lot and is struggling to be what it was. So what did it mean to you? Batman was my first superhero. A family friend lived with us for a while when I was young and we shared a room. He was a big Batman fan and every time he would visit after he got back on his feet he brought me a Batman comic. As I got older Dixon's Robin run meant a lot to me I found it relatable to my young teen angst. Then there was the discovery of the Vertigo titles and how exciting they are. DC in my mind always represented the freshest storytelling. It's about time it gets back to that. I will always love DC for the stories it told me. Sorry this is a bit incoherent trying to write this quickly and get back to my monsters (some call them children).

Lord Fejj
08-11-2013, 04:35 AM
I was never a DC fan. I got into comics with Marvel (I read a few DC books over the years) but I've always been a hard core Marvel fan...but Neal Adams!!!F*ck! he rules!

Scott F
08-17-2013, 01:13 PM
I personally liked the fact that pre new 52 characters evolved. I know that because of Warner Bros. Bruce Wayne had to come back and dc needed to do multi series cross overs to bolster sales of the weaker books and characters. I mean in final crisis batman wasn't needed but was forced in so he could shoot darkseid and weaken him for Barry Allen to save the day. All modern dc has done is make me hate barry allen with a passion.

Geoff Johns favorite flash and the character that ruined dc. I grew up with Wally West, I watched cartoons with Wally West. For basically 20 years Barry Allen was dead. New readers never knew the guy so saying he was more accessible and appealing to readers jumping on was a joke. The Bart Allen flash seemed fresher and with more potential to relate to new readers but got scrapped too quickly to bring back Wally. Then not even a year later it seemed Barry was back and two generations of fans those born in the 80's and 90's who came to like their heroes where told by the out of touch writer who longed for the 70's era comic heroes that inspired him what they could relate to, and he brought his 90's "edgey artists friends" from image comics early days. The same guys who did the awful heroes reborn comics. At least then it seemed temporary at the start so it was basically waiting for the experiment to end and see the characters escape to reality.

I can't speak for the readers who started buying comics from 2004 and up but as a reader since 1991, I didn't want Helena Wayne a multiverse daughter of Bruce Wayne to replace Helena Bertenelli a well crafted mob boss' daughter seeking redemption character. Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne were an awesome team, Green Arrow had more purpose as a family man before the damn crossovers ruined his book to build up characters like Flash, Arsenal, and Blue Beetle.

Blue Beetle always seemed to be a character force fed to fans as a relatable character. As the cancelation of the tv series young justice proved he wasn't.

I loved pre new 52 Teen Titans, Batgirl, and Supergirl. I thought Kid Devil was a great character and I liked how they handled his loss. They didn't give the hispanic Aquagirl enough story and Static had a book he belonged in. In batgirl Barbara mentoring Stephanie was extremely accessible stepping into an established role and being helped by an older friend with experience as you struggle with high expectations. I used to read Supergirl because Superman writers forgot long ago, secret identies are needed to keep interest. I loved Linda Lang and Lana because even before the new 52 Superman writers focused so much on his abilities that they forgot he was a multi-dimensional character with friends, family, and motivation to do what he does. I still don't get his current motivation not to be cold to people. His indestructible girlfriend who has mutual admiration and godlike powers too. He used to have the fearless but frail(compared to most of the people he knows) Lois Lane.

That I could rant about longer than this post but I will tone it down and instead ask what role does Clark Kent serve. There is no more kents, wonderwoman loves superman and looks down on normal humans, in action comics there is still lana but superman seems more super than man and not in a good way.

I have cut my reserves to mostly bat books, Adventures of Superman, Smallville, and Superman Unchained. I occassionally grab other books but I read them in the store first and if after an instore read I still think it has value I buy it but for the most part I have to say Geoff Johns and Jim Lee since it looks like your new 52 isn't going away I will continue to make mine Marvel.

SatyQ
08-17-2013, 04:55 PM
My current feelings on DC would be more along the lines of,

WHY, DC Comics? WHY?!?

brandonpatton
08-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Yeah New 52 has been a disaster and to me a lot of the voice of DC is gone. It seem most of the time they are trying to recreate Marvels more comedic act instead of the edgier aspects that drew me to DC. It is sad seeing the state of non competition or originality on their end. But theres always hope right?

brandonpatton
08-19-2013, 10:31 AM
My current feelings on DC would be more along the lines of,

WHY, DC Comics? WHY?!?

Completely intentional.

Scott F
08-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Glad that Johua Fialkov told Dan Didio no to killing John Stewart, shame no writers spoke up about Catwoman(The character destruction part not the killing part because that was just a publicity stunt, to try to grab readers for a weaker book.)

dmh_3000
08-20-2013, 04:56 AM
I stopped reading when the New 52 started, I have a rule against buying publicity stunts, even if they are good, until me buying the trade won't matter, so in October I can start buying again.

The thing is, though, I don't really want to. Aside from a few Bat books there's not that much that interests me. I've flipped through some of the comics and they just aren't grabbing me the way they used to.

Linkara's (http://atopfourthwall.blogspot.com) recent reviews of the Titans crossover is emphasizing that.

brandonpatton
08-23-2013, 06:52 AM
I just keep hoping that Snyder will eventually guide DC back to more interesting things. He has been quite successful with his works there. Also hoping Sandman: Overture helps DC remember its best talent came out of Vertigo. It will be strange to not have Karen Berger editing though. Trying to stay hopeful. Fools errand likely.

dx
08-25-2013, 12:24 AM
Biggest problem I saw is was that they were going to relaunch DC, fix their continuity mess, fix their multiverse mess, but instead

2 different timelines....2...at the same time? Batman is younger but all his Robins, A...existed and B...aged, even though Superman is younger, Wonder Woman is younger, Aquaman is younger, Green Arrow is way younger, etc. How does having stories 5 years in the past and stories set...I am assuming 5 years later at the same time work. How does having some characters age and others not or actually get younger make sense. How does batman get to keep most of his timeline....but everyone else doesn't...ala Green Arrow doesn't have a fully grown kid who he would have had to had around at the age of 7 or 8 at his current age now.

brandonpatton
08-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Yeah it is just a big mess. I think that the idea that their characters have to live in the same universe is no longer necessary. I personally am getting sick of big events that don't tell a necessary story. I think they should focus on making strong titles instead right now. That's what I want anyways.

dmh_3000
08-29-2013, 04:29 AM
It's become clear to me that the new 52 was never about fixing the continuity, it's all about making a quick buck. If they wanted to bring in new readers, they wouldn't have been so lazy with the editing.

ponyrl
09-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Someone want to tell me what that new 52 Super girl design is supposed to be? It's...effing HORRID! Having the red area around her crotch draws your eyes RIGHT to it? :blink:

Mwynn
09-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Warner Bros is making some really bad decisions for DC. It is like they ashed of them.

Why would they release two video games with the Dc Comics name attached to.

Injustice Gods Among Us and now https://www.infinitecrisis.com/en

This is just bad advertising for this brand.

KidIntense
09-15-2013, 07:48 PM
I hope DC Comics returns the DC Heroes back to their old selves and old timeline. I mean one single universe where the Justice Society where the first heroes, and Superman started a new generation fo heroes that forms the Justice League. What do you think?

dx
09-16-2013, 04:25 AM
I hope DC Comics returns the DC Heroes back to their old selves and old timeline. I mean one single universe where the Justice Society where the first heroes, and Superman started a new generation fo heroes that forms the Justice League. What do you think?

To many people would have to admit they were wrong and F'd things up....so that will never happen.

DC is Hoping 5 Superman titles, 5 Batman titles,3 Green Lantern based comics and 3 Justice League (including the spin offs) hold down the fort. Not to mention Superboy, Supergirl, and Teen Titans.

Buckyrig
09-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Well, isn't the multiverse going back to what things used to be?

Luke Noonan
09-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Years have been passing in canon continuity, so surely we all knew a reboot was completely inevitable at some point? DC couldn't be expected to just suspend characters' aging indefinitely, and killing off the big guns permanently isn't really an option, so a reboot is the only logical way to go.
That said, I really hope they do one-shots or very limited series in the pre-N52 now and again, and use them to actually retire the original former versions of the characters so that we get some closure on their stories. KILL Batman, and Gordon, and Luthor, and the Joker, and the whole lot, or age them, or blow the damn Earth up, because just letting the universe hang, cut off in literary oblivion would be far worse. IMO.

Paul Sanderson
09-25-2013, 10:07 PM
DC Comics is a mere shadow of its former self. The vast majority of the books are just piss-poor.

jeffo46
10-01-2013, 07:32 AM
I started reading DC and Marvel in 1966 when the Batman TV show first debuted on TV. That was what got me hooked on Comic Books. I stuck with DC through thick and thin until the New 52. To throw away over 75 years of history and continuity just for the sake of a buck really pissed me off . My local library has some of the New 52 hardcover collections of Action Comics, Aquaman , JLA, and Batman , and to be honest here , I am especially insulted at what they did with Superman . I hate that suit he now has , and the fact that he's now what, a college age student ? WTF is wrong with this picture ? DC will never get another cent of my money until they bring things back to what they were.

Buckyrig
10-01-2013, 12:57 PM
To throw away over 75 years of history and continuity just for the sake of a buck really pissed me off .

Well, isn't that what they did with Crisis on Infinite Earths?

jeffo46
10-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Well, isn't that what they did with Crisis on Infinite Earths?

Not totally ,because all they did with that was to organize everything into one complete universe. They didn't throw away the JSA , nor did they say fuck you to Alan Scott's history and bring him back as a gay man. Just why does Superman now need to wear a suit of armor ? IMO, DC never should've promoted Jim Lee to co-publisher . He along with Dan Didio, took everything and pretty much turned it into Image Comics redux IMO.

ponyrl
10-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Not totally ,because all they did with that was to organize everything into one complete universe. They didn't throw away the JSA , nor did they say fuck you to Alan Scott's history and bring him back as a gay man. Just why does Superman now need to wear a suit of armor ? IMO, DC never should've promoted Jim Lee to co-publisher . He along with Dan Didio, took everything and pretty much turned it into Image Comics redux IMO.
Yes.

Paul Sanderson
10-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Well said, jeffo. I totally agree with you.

J.T. Mirana
10-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Ditto.