PDA

View Full Version : Earasing pencil lines when inking question.

johnjohn
08-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Is it common to see your inks fade slightly as you erase the pencil lines underneath?

What are some tips to reduce this, or is it just one of those things you learn to work around?

Just picked up DC's Guide to Inking Comics and slowly through the first chapter, that talks about materials, right now.
So there's gonna be a load of inking threads coming as I learn.

jumpsuitart
08-09-2013, 06:58 AM
I also have that problem.
Are you inking on Strathmore bristol board?
I read a while ago on the interwebs somewhere that the quality of bristol board is not what it used to be, or is inconsistent, and that leads to this problem.
What I do is I do as much of my inking as possible after i erase the pencils.

but yea - I'd also like to find out more

Duane Korslund
08-09-2013, 09:04 AM
I"m not sure if this really works...but I've heard spraying your inks down with hairspray before erasing pencils works.....I havent had the stones to try it yet....plus I dont wanna be seen in the store buying Aquanet....

johnjohn
08-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Mostly on paper but also art board.
I wonder if giving the board a few water washes before drawing would help.

Haven't tried the hairspray trick, but I wonder if that may seal some if the pencil lines.
Think I'm gonna try just doing an ink outline and using a quick cell phone photo reference for shading as well as leaving some marks to indicate heavy shadow.

Bishop
08-09-2013, 12:48 PM
I would expect the hairspray to fix the pencil as well as the ink. If anyone tries it let us know how it goes...

Big Jay
08-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Try using a different ink, i've had that problem also, i switched to sumi ink, the fading is very light now compared to what it was.

johnjohn
08-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Sumi ink, I'll look it up.
I've noticed it with brush, pen and marker.
I wonder if maybe letting the board sit for a day or two to allow the ink to really set would make a difference.

johnjohn
08-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Did a quick sketch 'n ink to try out the hairspray thing.

Left side is without and right side is with.
Seems the trick works, hardly noticed any fading and it seemed to get the pencil lines right out.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd444/jgoodale123/IMG_0023_zpsb6b08257.jpg

Duane Korslund
08-09-2013, 04:29 PM
well I'll be damned....I actually contributed something to the community :P

johnjohn
08-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Ha
Results could vary depending on the product though, cheaper sprays have higher levels of strong chemicals to hold the hair (god I'm so ashamed to know that).
My wife uses, (yes it is my wife's hairspray as I shave my melon right to the wood) some turbo expensive pump type so a cheap aerosol may not allow for erasing as cleanly, or may gum up and smudge.
So you might want to experiment first.

Justice41
08-14-2013, 11:56 PM
My suggestion, ink only the linework then erase then add the solid blacks. use a gray kneaded eraser and a white eraser not pink pearl as the pink also erased ink.

JOinks
08-26-2013, 08:32 PM
I typically don't ink over pencils. I scan them in or have them scanned by the penciler and then print them out in blue line. So much easier.

johnjohn
08-26-2013, 09:52 PM
I've noticed a few people seem to prefer inking over blue lines.
Is this because it's easier to spot?
Or is it like the old animation thing, (where they would do rough images in blue and the clean up artist would use dark pencil right over it) because the blue lines don't get picked up?

JOinks
08-27-2013, 11:24 AM
I've noticed a few people seem to prefer inking over blue lines.
Is this because it's easier to spot?
Or is it like the old animation thing, (where they would do rough images in blue and the clean up artist would use dark pencil right over it) because the blue lines don't get picked up?

That's pretty much the idea. It also saves the original pencils. A lot of professional inkers use this method because it's easier to pull a file from an email, colorize it in Photoshop, print it out and ink it than wait for original pages to come in the mail. And of course the penciler still has their original pencils to sell.

And yes the blue lines are easier to get rid of after scanning. It's just a matter of balancing levels. Pretty easy.

:D

sevans
09-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Hairspray is normally used to fix charcoal, pastels, pencils etc.
I wouldn't try this idea unless you want to keep the pencils forever.

if it worked, it must be a cheaper brand or something, because the hairspray idea was to be used as an alternative to expensive fixatives.

JOinks
09-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Use a kneaded eraser. That usually works the best for getting light pencils to erase around the inks. It has a lighter touch than a gum eraser. If not then just play with the curves and levels in Photoshop.