PDA

View Full Version : Crossbar I's in Polish

FreemindVisionary
08-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Do any languages aside from English distinguish between crossbar and non-crossbar i's? I'm working on sort of an odd project; it's a series of comic-style ads for a Hungarian muscle supplement in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Polish. I just hit the Polish version and it's the only other language that I've seen so far that uses a standalone i. It seems to mean "and," but then it appeared at the beginning of a balloon and it threw me for a loop. I'm putting in the question to my editor, but I don't know if anyone on their end is necessarily well-versed in Polish comics lettering rules.

Thomas Mauer
08-06-2013, 04:32 PM
I only use them for the English pronoun and make sure to avoid them in other languages at all costs.

FreemindVisionary
08-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks Tom. That was my gut instinct.

lordmagnusen
08-06-2013, 05:09 PM
It's not a language thing, it's a font thing. You can either do an I with the serifs (crossbars) or not... but it's not as if there is a rule in the English language saying that the pronoun has to be a crossbar... this is a lettering thing, having to do with the fact that the crossbar I might be confused with a T or A J.

As for language things, I letter in Portuguese and Spanish, and I only use them for the English pronoun, or ocassionally for acronyms.

paul brian deberry
08-06-2013, 06:02 PM
yep. Magnusen is correct.

Kep!
08-07-2013, 06:17 PM
At the end of the day it's about the kerning...a Crossbar I takes up a LOT of space. Depending on the font/word/placement are all good reasons to use the non-crossbar. Or just go Ziggy and everything is an "i".