PDA

View Full Version : The State of (most) TV Programs

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
07-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Sums up my opinion of most of what's on tv....

PBS Station Promotes Spot-On Fake Reality Shows to Illustrate Sad State of TV:

http://laughingsquid.com/pbs-station-promotes-spot-on-fake-reality-shows-to-illustrate-sad-state-of-tv/

(I don't don't know how to embed the videos in Chit Chat)

DarkKni9hT
07-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Sadly, any one of those spoofs could be real for all the crap that they do make. "Shipping Wars" anyone? A show about moving freight! "Swamp People". Inbred Cajun hillbillies who wrassle gators.

What bothers me most about "reality" TV (apart from its obvious distance from anything approaching reality) is that it has sponged up so much of the market share that there is literally nothing else to watch anymore. Gone are the days of production television. :man:

Duane Korslund
07-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Siberia...a fictional Survivor knock off with a horror twist....Fail...now they're making Production TV based on reality TV...maybe that will trend back towards the creative effort though....

That being said: Hells Kitchen and Master Chef rule....the only reality TV I'll watch...

Jasen Smith
07-30-2013, 05:11 PM
I like Kitchen Nightmares myself.
The fact that he spends his money to help others is great.
I believe it was Hotel Hell...something like that any way, where he paid for an aspiring chef's college education and told the young kid to call him after he graduated to get a job.

Duane Korslund
07-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Nice! He's pretty generous...he gives jobs to the close runner ups....he comes off as a douche, but its mostly an act..(or so I believe)..dude really cares about people.

dx
07-31-2013, 04:27 PM
Nice! He's pretty generous...he gives jobs to the close runner ups....he comes off as a douche, but its mostly an act..(or so I believe)..dude really cares about people.

Gordon Ramsay's is completely different in his England's version of Kitchen Nightmare...I believe he hypes up his act for American audiences.

Most of the reality shows I watch are in fact simply contests.

Hell's Kitchen, Master Chef, Iron Chef, etc.

Non competition one's tend to be Kitchen Impossible (Robert Irvine), Bar Rescue, Kitchen Nightmare and occasionally the hotel one.

I refuse to watch stupid people doing fake drama, The Kardashians(sp....whatever), Jersey Shore and any of their knockoffs, MTV anything, Big Brother, Biggest loser, any show featuring Hicks or White Trash, and any shows that are stretching it like tattoo rescue.

cheeseisgood1918
07-31-2013, 11:33 PM
The thing about reality TV is that it costs relatively little to make. You don't need to make a bunch of different sets, pay actors wages (I'm sure most reality TV folks are just happy to have a camera on them, and starting off at least, none of them have an agent to negotiate price for them).

Because of the low cost, they don't need incredible ratings to stay profitable, and since there are so many of them, there really isn't much else to watch, so they end up with decent ratings usually.

Also, because of how little they cost to make, execs are willing to take a chance on any reality show idea, on the odd chance that it might be the next Duck Dynasty or whatever. It's basically the "throw a bunch of shit against the wall and see what sticks" principle.

Unfortunately, all this means that it's not going anywhere any time soon.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
08-01-2013, 01:19 PM
I watched 5 minutes of Here Comes Honey BooBoo sometime last Spring, for no particular reason other than to see what it was. With all due respect to those who like it, it was 5 of the most wasted, stupidest, bad-example-of-humanity, utter waste of time and I want those 5 minutes back, that I EVER spent.

The fact that I have to pay for the reception single for that stupid show (and all its ilk) so that I can watch the shows I want to see is utterly revolting.

Yes I know there is Netflix, but we are a bi-lingual household and I don't know if it works like that...

Angel
08-05-2013, 06:13 AM
Don't play...CLAM KINGS looks fucking awesome!