PDA

View Full Version : Casca: The Eternal Mercenary #1 part 2

whdvorak
07-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Here is part 2 of the Casca: The Eternal Mercenary first issue.

Page14 (6 Panels)

Panel 1
The dancing girl, Rheza, throws herself into Casca's lap. Rheza is all smiles and sweaty from dancing. She ruffles Casca's hair, causing jealous glares from patrons.

Rheza:
Hello my big Roman. Did you like my dancing?

Casca:
I believe Mars himself would be lost in your curves.

Panel 2
Rheza, snakes her arms around Casca's neck and gives him a sultry look.

Rheza:
If I only had someone to hold my curves? Do you know a man that can help me?

Casca:
Girl, you're too much of a tease for your own good. I would take you right now... if there were not so many prying eyes.

Panel 3
Rheza, wiggles in Casca’s lap and throws her hair back in glee.

Rheza:
What do you mean Roman? I want you now? Do you not desire me? It feels like you do.

Casca(Whispering)
Not in front of others that know your Sporus. Get off me and finish your work so we may leave.

Panel 4
Rheza rises and returns to the circular stage to continue dancing. The crowd jeers and applauds when she returns to dance.

Rheza:
You're no fun.

Panel 5
At the bar sit two men. The Barkeep is a large swarthy fellow, with a patch over one eye. Sitting with him is a wisp of a man, missing some teeth.

Barkeep:
That big Roman is playing with fire.

Wispy Man(Laughing)
Rheza is always fishing for a sucker?

Barkeep:
No you fool! Rheza, is Sporus', woman. And Sporus is a jealous Roman, if there ever was one.

Panel 6
Medium shot, from the view of the Barkeep and his friend watching Rheza. Rheza, dances and uses a silk scarf from her costume, to tease Casca.

Barkeep(Off Panel)
That Armenian slut cares not what trouble she starts. She still claims to be Sporus' woman, but only when he's around.

Page 15 (4 Panels)

Panel 1
The door to Rheza's home flies open, as the two lovers enter entwined. Rheza's room is well furnished with expensive carpets and furniture.

Rheza:
I have a mind to make you wait for it, you big Roman dog. You were mean to me in the tavern.

Panel 2
Casca carries Rheza over to the bed and deposits her like a prized catch onto it.

Casca:
Make me wait will you? Perhaps I should leave and be done with your troubles.

Rheza(Giggling)
Oh, please don't be cross with me.

Panel 3
Casca is upon her and the two writhe on the bed as one. In the back ground we can see the front door.

Panel 4
The front door opens and in walks the large form of Sporus. Sporus has slightly graying hair and a small paunch, but is a bear of a man. He has a look of shock and anger, as he spies the two. Use the same shot as in panel 3 only have the heads of Casca and Rheza swing around looking at Sporus.

Sporus(Burst)
What the hell is this! You slut!

Page 16 (6 Panels)

Panel 1
Casca leaps from the bed and is in a fighting stance, while Sporus has produced a knife.

Sporus:
Casca, you son of a bitch! I'm going to rip your arms off and beat you with them.

Casca:
Wait a minute Sporus, you don't want to cut me, there's nothing going on here we're just friends.

Panel 2
Sporus flings a table aside, clearing his way to Casca. Rheza sits on the bed enjoying the turn of events.

Sporus:
Friends my ass, you sneaky traitor!

Sporus:
I got off early from Herod’s and here I find the two of you behind my back.

Panel 3
Close up of Casca's feet, as he back peddles away from Sporus and gets entangled in some of Rheza's discarded clothes.

Panel 4
Casca falls back as he loses his balance. Sporus seizes the opportunity and lunges at Casca.

Sporus(SFX)
Aarrr!

Panel 5
View from over the shoulder of Sporus as he follows Casca's falling form. Sporus thrusts his knife into the stomach of Casca.

Panel 6
Sporus towers over the fallen form of Casca who lies on the floor, the Hilt of the knife protruding from his stomach.

Page 18 (6 Panels)

Panel 1
Casca Stares at the knife in embarrassed disbelief.

CAP
I knew the wound was fatal and I felt more shame than pain, for having to die like this..

Panel 2
A rage changes Casca’s features into a livid man with murder on his mind, as he grabs the hilt.

Panel 3
Close up of Casca's hand, as he pulls the knife free. In the background we see the surprised face of Sporus.

Casca(Off Panel)
Kill me, will you?

Panel 4
Casca regains his feet and leaps at Sporus. Sporus raises his hands in defense. The knife slashes open his throat and a fount of blood sprays across the room.

Panel 5
A close up shot of Rheza on the bed, as blood splatters her face and body. The sight of the battle has brought a large smile to her face.

Panel 6
View from above showing the forms of Casca and Sporus both on the floor, blood pooling around them. Rheza sitting on her bed has leaned forward to gaze upon them.

Page 18 (5 Panels)

Panel 1
Doctor Goldman, stands at the foot of Casca's bed, going over his charts. Casca, with a bandaged head, is having fitful sleep.

Goldman:
I don't care what Landries says, Sergeant Romain, I'm going to find out what makes you special.

Panel 2
Goldman moves to the head of the bead and holding open one of Casca's eyelids, he flashes a pen light into them.

Goldman:
Whatever you have is more than rare, it's something that can change medicine forever.

Panel 3
Goldman stands up straight with shock as Casca begins to speak. What shocks Goldman most, is that Casca is not speaking in English.

Casca:
EGO did vos a ventus Jesus, EGO loco vos ex vestri sufforing quod is est gratia Mea.

Panel 4
Casca continues to shift restlessly as Goldman watches.

Casca:
Sic vadum vos subsisto inquequo nos opportunus iterum, tamen ut?

Panel 5
Goldman falls into a chair at the side of Casca's bed. A look of disbelief and understanding shows over his face as he listens.

Goldman:
That's Latin...

Casca:
Have EGO spilt satis cruor vobis? Totus vir est bonus pro est bellum.

CAP
The thing about doctors is they learn Latin in school. Not a lot but enough. Some, like Goldman have a degree in it.

Page 19 (6 Panels)

Panel 1
Casca wakes in a dirty cell with rotting straw strewn about the floor. He is curled up one hand over his blood stained tunic. A small rat scurries along the wall and a single bucket stands in one corner. The door to the cell opens and in comes Tigelanius, the Garrison commander, accompanied by the jailer and two other Roman soldiers.

Tigelanius:
So this is the piece of shit that killed Sporus.

Panel 2
Casca sits against the wall as Tigelanius, hands on hips chews him out.

Tigelanius:
How dare you kill one of my Sergeants! You piece of garbage! Do you know how that makes my personal records look!?! It makes me look like I have no discipline?

Panel 3
Close up of Casca, as he removes his hand from his wounded stomach. The wound is little more than a thin red line now.

CAP
As Tigelanius roared, I dreaded the fact it had not all been a dream.

Tigelanius:
Is that the almost deathlike wound Sporus inflicted on you? Hell, I've cut myself worse shaving.

Panel 4
Casca leans his head back against the wall, no longer caring what the bloated commander was shouting, infuriating Tigelanius further.

Tigelanius:
By the gods, you'll pay for your lack of respect. Jailer, give this dog one hundred strokes of the cane. Do them in increments, I don't want him crippled.

Panel 5
Tigelanius leaves the cell, as the jailer orders two soldiers to drag Casca to the block for restraining.

Tigelanius(Over his shoulder)
Bring the piece of garbage to me when it is done.

Jailer:
You heard the Commander, get this man restrained in the block.

Panel 6
Close up of Casca's stone calm face.

CAP
Despite being condemned to the horrible punishment of the cane, all I could think of was what the Jewish prophet had told me. You will remain as you are until we meet again.

Page 20 (5 Panels)

Panel 1
Close up of Casca's feet being chained to the wooden blocks and propped up.

CAP
My life in the Legion was over. The only family I had known my entire adult life.

Panel 2
POV of Casca looking up at his feet in the blocks. The two Romans grab their canes and take practice swings with the four foot long, thumb width of reeds.

CAP
The Tribune would have to expel me from the legion. His one saving grace would have been his wound. But mysteriously healed as it was, I had no defense for murderer.

Panel 3
The same view as panel two. One of the soldiers leans down towards Casca as he speaks.

Solider:
Nothing personal Casca, but we have to do it, or get some of the same.

Panel 4
Close up of Casca's face in pain as the canes begin to connect with the souls of his feet.

SFX )
Thwack!

Casca )
Aahh!

CAP
Each blow to my bare feet was like a hot iron. Each blow sent a jolt of pain running up my leg into my spine. The repetition of the timed blows turned into a continuous searing pain.

Panel 5
Long view of a very young Casca sitting on a hill, he watches the marching of a legion on the road below. We see Casca from behind not viewing his face.

CAP
My mind traveled away from the pain, to visions of my childhood, to the first time I'd seen the legionnaires marching in formation.

Page 21 (3 Panels)

Panel 1
A teen Casca kneels before the crude alters of his families household gods. The form of a woman, still with death, lays close by. Again we do not see Casca's face.

CAP
When my family had died of plague, I was left alone in the world. I dared not bury them for fear of catching the plague myself.

Panel 2
The figure of a teenage Casca, as he stands before his burning home. As in the previous panel we do not see Casca's face.

CAP
I had done as the old women of my village bade me to. I set all I had known and all I had loved to flame.

Panel 3
Teenage Casca stands in a line of other Volunteers, before a Roman solider at a desk. His youth is more apparent from his size difference with the others in line. Again we do not see his face.

CAP
The legion was my mother and father after that. No matter which legion I was assigned to, you always knew what to do and where everything was.

Page 22 (5 Panels)

Panel 1
A close up of the soles of Casca's feet. They are bruised and swollen with blood on them. We see one cane land on a foot.

SFX :
Thwack!

CAP
I have lost not just my legion, but my way.

Panel 2
Same as panel 1 except the other foot is struck this time, sending some blood flying.

SFX :
Thwack!

CAP
I had become over confident with my life. The kind of confidence you get, from holding someone’s life in your hands and deciding if that person lives or dies.

Panel 3
A close up of Casca lying on his back, pain etched across his face. A small amount of blood splatters over him.

SFX :
Thwack!

CAP
My arrogance was now my down fall from the legion.

Panel 4
Same scene from Panel 3, but Casca is now screaming in anguish.

SFX :
Thwack!

Casca)
Aaaaahhhhh!!!!

Panel 5
The two soldiers stand on either side of the block holding Casca's bloody and beaten feet. Both soldiers are breathing heavy as sweat drips from them.

Page 23 (Splash Page)

Panel 1
A view of Casca in a fetal position, back in his cell. Blood pools beneath his feet.

CAP
And all I could think of was the words of the Jew. Solider you are content with what you are. Then that you shall remain until we meet again.

CAP
But how could I remain the same if I was no longer in the legion? I could already feel the pain of my feet subsiding as I lay in my cell waiting.